Dome light switch

ItBmine

I don't know why Kubota can't do this from factory on the RTV and many of the tractor models. I'm sure I could afford to pay the extra 20 bucks on purchase price, LOL

tfdr1

Looks like next to cupholders might be an easy option but need to figure out wire routing.

Dave

Attachments

• 20230102_122617.jpg
    20230102_122617.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230102_122614.jpg
    20230102_122614.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not sure if this helps at all but when I needed a switch mounted and didn't want to go to the dash, I installed it in the plastic between the seat and the dump bed lift control. I'll get a pic today but using the pic in the first pic of this thread, somewhere in the plastic between the door jamb and the seat.

View attachment 14378.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
If my switch arrives tomorrow, and it looks like it will work the way I plan, I’ll install it and take pictures and post. Fishing the wires to the dome light was quick and easy so I am hoping that the location I have in mind will work well. 🤞

ZMAN

tfdr1, If the switch is long enough that looks like a perfect place to install it. I would drill the hole for the switch in the plastic just above the brace and drill a small hole in the brace for the mounting screw which is also the ground. Wish I had thought about that.

tfdr1

If my switch arrives tomorrow, and it looks like it will work the way I plan, I’ll install it and take pictures and post. Fishing the wires to the dome light was quick and easy so I am hoping that the location I have in mind will work well. 🤞

The suspense is killing me. 😉

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry to disappoint! The switch arrived, but it was not long enough - the dimensions given in the description were not complete and I gambled and lost. I've ordered another that should be here next week. I spent considerable time today trying to figure out how I can use the one that came and the only places that make sense to me are the place where ZMan placed his and where I want to put mine just to the left of where ZMan placed his. Mine (if I get a switch that works there) will be on the plastic so I don't have to drill out the frame. While I doubt drilling out the frame will compromise the integrity of the frame I just want to hold off on that if I can. I did look at the place you suggested - next to the cup holder, but routing the wire looks to be too much trouble. I didn't see an easy way to get a wire to the headliner. I'll study this some more. The switch I ordered now is: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09N8WJLSK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
I'll be back as soon as I have more to report.
The suspense is killing me. 😉

tfdr1

Sorry to disappoint! The switch arrived, but it was not long enough - the dimensions given in the description were not complete and I gambled and lost. I've ordered another that should be here next week. I spent considerable time today trying to figure out how I can use the one that came and the only places that make sense to me are the place where ZMan placed his and where I want to put mine just to the left of where ZMan placed his. Mine (if I get a switch that works there) will be on the plastic so I don't have to drill out the frame. While I doubt drilling out the frame will compromise the integrity of the frame I just want to hold off on that if I can. I did look at the place you suggested - next to the cup holder, but routing the wire looks to be too much trouble. I didn't see an easy way to get a wire to the headliner. I'll study this some more. The switch I ordered now is: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09N8WJLSK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
I'll be back as soon as I have more to report.

Yeah, I spent a little bit today trying to figure an easy way to run the wire up from the cupholders and didn't come up with a solution that isn't a little janky. The one thing I could come up with is to run the wire from the cupholder area and tuck it in under the rubber windshield gasket along the A post up to the headliner, but not sure if that's a little too janky.

Dave

ZMAN

I noticed that the doorjam switch was hitting the weather strip at an angle and was starting to rip it, so I reinstalled it near the cup holder as talked about above. I drilled above the brace for the switch and screwed into the brace with the mounting screw/ground. I did run the wire along the windshield weather stripping. I did have to shorten the switch a little. It works perfect now.

Attachments

• 20230103_164129.jpg
    20230103_164129.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230103_164005.jpg
    20230103_164005.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 24

tfdr1

I noticed that the doorjam switch was hitting the weather strip at an angle and was starting to rip it, so I reinstalled it near the cup holder as talked about above. I drilled above the brace for the switch and screwed into the brace with the mounting screw/ground. I did run the wire along the windshield weather stripping. I did have to shorten the switch a little. It works perfect now.

Looks good! It's always nice to have someone play guinea pig before I commit.

Dave

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
ZMAN - that looks great, but I don't fully understand how you concealed the wiring and how you fished it into the headliner. Thanks for clarifying. I had wondered how you prevented the switch from compromising the weather striping where you originally placed the switch. That was one other reason I decided to not use that spot.

tfdr1

ZMAN - that looks great, but I don't fully understand how you concealed the wiring and how you fished it into the headliner. Thanks for clarifying. I had wondered how you prevented the switch from compromising the weather striping where you originally placed the switch. That was one other reason I decided to not use that spot.

Not the greatest pictures especially since I'm using a brown wire. It's tucked between the post and windshield gasket.

Dave

Attachments

• 20230104_135339.jpg
    20230104_135339.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • 20230104_135412.jpg
    20230104_135412.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 16728585688204202047313658289332.jpg
    16728585688204202047313658289332.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Not the greatest pictures especially since I'm using a brown wire. It's tucked between the post and windshield gasket.

Dave
Thanks for the quick reply. Next time I am working on my machine I will investigate further. What year is your machine? In your first photo your machine has an unpainted threaded bracket with an orange surface (or is that orange reflection?). I assume that in the third photo I see the wire as it transitions to the headliner??

tfdr1

Thanks for the quick reply. Next time I am working on my machine I will investigate further. What year is your machine? In your first photo your machine has an unpainted threaded bracket with an orange surface (or is that orange reflection?). I assume that in the third photo I see the wire as it transitions to the headliner??

Mine is a '22, just got it in September. The orange is just a reflection and it's actually painted black. I just pulled the wire out a little so you could see where it was running, but yes it goes up and into the headliner.

Dave

tfdr1

I decided to finish up the dome light switch and delay project today. It's setup to turn light on when door is opened and slowly dim out after 5 seconds after door is closed. It also will turn light on when you shut ignition off and shut off immediately if door closes when ignition is on. I also set the door open timeout to 10 minutes in case "someone" doesn't close door completely. Attached is a crappy quick video of it in action.

Dave

Attachments

• 20230106_123004.mp4
    14.5 MB

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I decided to finish up the dome light switch and delay project today. It's setup to turn light on when door is opened and slowly dim out after 5 seconds after door is closed. It also will turn light on when you shut ignition off and shut off immediately if door closes when ignition is on. I also set the door open timeout to 10 minutes in case "someone" doesn't close door completely. Attached is a crappy quick video of it in action.

Dave
Hi Dave, good for you - sounds like a nice system. It is like the improvement I made with the wiper system. Unfortunately, I can't seem to load the video, but I certainly can appreciate how it works. I'll report back with what I end up doing after the new switch arrives next week.

tfdr1

Hi Dave, good for you - sounds like a nice system. It is like the improvement I made with the wiper system. Unfortunately, I can't seem to load the video, but I certainly can appreciate how it works. I'll report back with what I end up doing after the new switch arrives next week.

Let's see if my video works.

Dave

Attachments

• 20230106_135420.mp4
    28.9 MB

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Let's see if my video works.

Dave
My problem playing your video is that I live in the woods and have only a very slow DSL connection and it took a few minutes to download your video - it finally did. Looks terrific. Nice work. Congratulations

tfdr1

My problem playing your video is that I live in the woods and have only a very slow DSL connection and it took a few minutes to download your video - it finally did. Looks terrific. Nice work. Congratulations

Still living in the 90's. 🤣🤣

Dave