RTV900 Alternator Upgrade

Peter James

Need Bigger Alternator. I have a SnowDogg plow on my 2009 RTV 900. I plow my driveway and 2 door yards with it and frequently am changing the plow setup, not just raising and lowering it. After I have plowed, the next morning, if it is cold, say 10ºF, I have to put the batter charger on it to get it started. I thought the battery might be going bad, but then thought about how much power was being used to run the plow system. Yes, the belt on the alternator is tight and not slipping. Is there a lager alternator that can go on this as a direct replacement?P1070705 (Medium).JPG

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Can't help you on the alternator. My personal solution was to use a deep-cycle marine battery. I also put a battery tender on it whenever I put it away for the day.

Peter James

A bigger batter and battery tender may well be my solution, as well, but I though I would see what other people have done. Anyone aith a "V" plow setup must have run into this problem as all the new plow set ups are electric over hydraulic.

ItBmine

As a rule, even with the Boss plow's I have had on full size diesel trucks......I always try and go for a drive or at least let them run a bit after plowing.
But as Peter has said, I use a battery maintainer on my RTV/Boss vee plow setup and had no battery issue yet.

Maybe try a good maintainer and leave it plugged in all the time before you start changing anything.

tfdr1

I have the snowdogg on my x900 and haven't had any battery issues. Like stated above I let mine run for a little while after doing lots of plow maneuvering.

On an unrelated note... Keep an eye on the plow's center pivot area due to slop. I started having an issue with the two center cutting edge pieces getting bound up on each other and bending. The first time I thought I might have caught something but it happened again with the new pieces and snapped one of the bolts that hold it on.

I really liked this plow at first but after 5 years I'm liking it less and less everytime I use it. My other issue is the driver's side trip edge always tripping and gliding across the driveway packing the snow. I'm switching to a Boss when I get my new X1100.

Dave

Peter James

I have the snowdogg on my x900 and haven't had any battery issues. Like stated above I let mine run for a little while after doing lots of plow maneuvering.

On an unrelated note... Keep an eye on the plow's center pivot area due to slop. I started having an issue with the two center cutting edge pieces getting bound up on each other and bending. The first time I thought I might have caught something but it happened again with the new pieces and snapped one of the bolts that hold it on.

I really liked this plow at first but after 5 years I'm liking it less and less everytime I use it. My other issue is the driver's side trip edge always tripping and gliding across the driveway packing the snow. I'm switching to a Boss when I get my new X1100.

Dave
I have noticed the trip edge issue, but I have a gravel driveway and it has not been a major issue. I got a really good deal on this and a Boss would have been $2,000 more, so was hard to pass up on a limited budget. I crushed a hydraulic hose last Saturday and it burst. I spent some time rerouting them to prevent it happening again. I think that this plow weighs less than a Boss and that was a plus for me. I have plowed for 50 years with a bulldozer and tractor with a front end loader, so this is a big improvement for me. All things considered, I am satisfied with it. I am planning on getting a battery maintainer today and I think that will take care of the problem for now. Only been an issue when it has been below 0º and the machine is still very cold. If I won the lottery, I might do something different in the next one, but there isn't going to be a next one.

tfdr1

I have noticed the trip edge issue, but I have a gravel driveway and it has not been a major issue. I got a really good deal on this and a Boss would have been $2,000 more, so was hard to pass up on a limited budget. I crushed a hydraulic hose last Saturday and it burst. I spent some time rerouting them to prevent it happening again. I think that this plow weighs less than a Boss and that was a plus for me. I have plowed for 50 years with a bulldozer and tractor with a front end loader, so this is a big improvement for me. All things considered, I am satisfied with it. I am planning on getting a battery maintainer today and I think that will take care of the problem for now. Only been an issue when it has been below 0º and the machine is still very cold. If I won the lottery, I might do something different in the next one, but there isn't going to be a next one.

I got mine for $2500 so I hear you on the price. I also plowed for many years with open cab equipment and agree this is way better, LOL.

Dave

Peter James

Some updates. The alternator is putting out 14.4 volts at idle and 14.5 V at higher engine speeds. I had it on a trickle charger for a couple od days but it was disconnected yesterday and this morning it started right up no problem. Friday morning will be -3º predicted and I will try it with the new Battery Tender on it. It is putting out 13.5V which should keep the batter right where it should be.

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
13.5 Is a true float voltage, Harbor freight $9.00 float chargers work excellent, been using them for 20 years.
Here are the various HF part numbers 64284, 42292, 69594, 69955 Don't let the price fool you - they are excellent.
They have them on sale all the time for$7.00, use them For the Tractor's and RTV, I cut off the alligator clips and plug them into the
Cigarette Lighter receptacle to charge - its hot all the time and don't have to worry about connecting to battery.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I don’t know about the HF chargers…but if they put out constant voltage…no matter what that voltage is…they are not true battery maintainers.
A good maintainer will cut off all voltage and monitor a battery until the battery loses it’s “top” charge…then will awake and re-top the battery.
A couple of inexpensive ones I’ve used for several years with complete success (on two airplanes, a tractor, RTV, lawn-mower, spare car and a boat) which use ordinary lead-acid as well as recombinant-gas batteries and have had zero battery failures are:
and

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Geo.
Note: Links above are good. They go to a

BLACK+DECKER BM3B 6V and 12V Battery Charger/Maintainer (BM3B) at walmart​

and a

Schumacher SC1299 Maintainer, 1 Pack also at walmart.​

no clue why it says robot or human. I've never seen the Xenforo software do that anywhere before.

I've used Battery Tender Brand tender for years. They worked so if I needed another that is what I shopped for and bought. Usually from Amazon for around 24 bucks.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I don’t know why the links I posted ended up with text like that (robot or human)…. perhaps it’s this forum website software…but they are safe links to Walmart. Thanks Doc.

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
You need to understand Battery Float - 13.55 is the perfect float voltage for 12 volt wet cell batteries, it's the current that count's and kills.
These float back to 50 MAH which is 1/20 of an AMP. You should always maintain a battery to 12.8 volts for the shelf, But float being 13.55
Is the best way for longevity. Currently Generator at Cabin is 14 yrs old and various other equipment 10 yrs +. https://chargetek.com/basic-information.html

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
The little alternator Kubota puts on most of their things are 40 A units. My M4700DT (large utility tractor) also has a standard Kubota 40A alt.
But the larger Utility tractors with cabs are usually equipped with 60 amp units and there may be an even larger one available. Checik it out at Messicks and they’ll be able to tell you, I’m sure. All of them are direct replacements…same overall physical size, etc.
The Kubota alternators are internal regulator equipped so there should be no addt’l wiring necessary if you do upgrade as long as the harness wire gauge can handle it…and I believe that is all good for that.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
There is no need for continuous voltage application for battery maintenance. The BEST maintainers do not continuously apply voltage to a fully charged battery.

Peter James

It was -3ºF last night and I went out this morning to try it. Cooked the glow plugs for 20-30 seconds, hit the starter and it fired off like the middle of the summer. The fact the it turned over fast probable helped it fire right up. It charged the battery and then went into maintenance mode. Very satisfied with it so far. I will hook it up permanently to the battery and run the plug somewhere convenient so all I have to do is back in and plug it in.
Peter

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
Geohorn, you may want to educate yourself a little more. Having 47 years in R&D, I beg to differ with you.
ZZZ2D1…. Cadex is a mfr’r of very good battery charging systems …and that link you provide is merely how THEIR CHARGER works …in accordance with THEIR philosophy of contant-current chargers. That’ a very GOOD way to charge a depleted lead-acid battery…but not the best way to maintain it for long life.
That is NOT the BEST method of battery maintenance because it constantly ages the plates and eventually leads to depletion.
As I stated previously… the BEST “maintainers”… do not do that, but instead MONITOR the battery and bring it up to “Top charge” when the battery loses that top charge by natural depletion. By such cycling the battery susceptibility to premature failure is reduced.
I stand by my education as well as personal experience in this matter. You can certainly do as you wish with yours.

Reactions: Doc

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
While it does not appear Cadex even make’s automotive SLA chargers, They are more into modular
Type battery Packs, example Radio type equipment, which I have lots of. Ham Call Sign KC8USA
I am a Vietnam Vet, Slick/Huey Helicopter gun ship Crew engineer door gunner.
Our APU’s were used and rotated for all feasible aircraft starts, and then returned to float after
Every use.
Take a look at today’s many million computer Host’s and systems that are on continuously float
type battery back up systems. Including many Home computer systems that use APC’s for backup.
These systems use float technology. Loss of applied voltage increases sulfation.
Done with this one, Do what ya gotta do..

Reactions: Doc