RTV Daily uses, What did you do today with your RTV?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a little bit of everything, mostly stuff from racing disciplines that I watch.
Let me know if you want any more NASCAR stuff. I'm selling a collection for a widow who's husband was a collector.

NT5224

Hey a big thanks to everybody who has provided expert advice, suggestions and insights in response to my questions. You blokes are Gold!

My brand new RTVX arrived today on a tilt tray and I have just driven it five miles from our gate on the road up to the homestead. Some would consider that track quite a challenging off road trail, but it is just my driveway so I am used to it.

I drove down to the gate in the old truck the Kubota is replacing, which has stuffed tie rods, failing brakes and a million rattles and clanks.

Riding back in the brand new vehicle was fantastic. Such a contrast to my drive down! First impressions? It’s really slow, even slower than I expected!

On a straight flat section I put my foot down and got 38-39 kilometres/hr at full throttle. That’s 24 miles per hour for you Yanks. I think it cruises best on the flat at about 30 km/h or about 18 miles per hours. We have a big property and so trundling around at that speed will become frustrating. However there are very few spots on our property you can drive that fast ( actually that track was the only place where you can), so speed is going to be much less important than torque, traction, stability and payload.

Here’s a snap of the RTVX arriving at our gate and one of it now parked in its new home.

Regards

Alan

IMG_1867.jpegIMG_1872.jpeg

touras

Hey a big thanks to everybody who has provided expert advice, suggestions and insights in response to my questions. You blokes are Gold!

My brand new RTVX arrived today on a tilt tray and I have just driven it five miles from our gate on the road up to the homestead. Some would consider that track quite a challenging off road trail, but it is just my driveway so I am used to it.

I drove down to the gate in the old truck the Kubota is replacing, which has stuffed tie rods, failing brakes and a million rattles and clanks.

Riding back in the brand new vehicle was fantastic. Such a contrast to my drive down! First impressions? It’s really slow, even slower than I expected!

On a straight flat section I put my foot down and got 38-39 kilometres/hr at full throttle. That’s 24 miles per hour for you Yanks. I think it cruises best on the flat at about 30 km/h or about 18 miles per hours. We have a big property and so trundling around at that speed will become frustrating. However there are very few spots on our property you can drive that fast ( actually that track was the only place where you can), so speed is going to be much less important than torque, traction, stability and payload.

Here’s a snap of the RTVX arriving at our gate and one of it now parked in its new home.

Regards

Alan

View attachment 15425View attachment 15427
Congrats! That thing is a beast.

Smilingreen

Regards

Alan

Nice ride. I like the longer bed. Being a diesel/hydrostat drive, 25MPH on flat land is what you will get out of it. You might get 30MPH if you are going down a steep ling hill. The RTV's were never designed to be a speed demon. They are designed for their longevity and insane low end torque for pulling and hauling. The Kubota Sidekick is the only model that will go much faster than 25MPH. It isn't a hydrostatic drive system. It is a 54HP gasoline engine with a centrifugal belt drive. Have fun with your new machine!

NT5224

Some pics of the RTVX out and about. My wife loves it, which is a good thing. The Boy likes it too, but he rides in the back.

First observation. We took it up a very steep gravel surfaced hill in four low. It just walked up. The four wheel drive truck it replaced would often spin wheels on that hill.

Want to go to our steeper hills and check out in 2WD, 4WD unlocked and locked diff. Just to become familiar with its capability. It is currently unloaded but will soon be trialled at max payload to see how it performs then.

Slowly slowly. Very happy with our RTVX!

Cheers

Alan

At home in the shed
f87398dc-9e66-4ab7-92fa-0a9c55232cbc.jpeg
First family ride out001c53a7-0696-46df-8738-df3fd6832f02.jpeg
28acd1c9-3941-4059-abaa-d1bfca5c3e15.jpeg

NT5224

OK the whole family went out for a spin in the RTVX yesterday evening. More general performance testing.

We drove up the steepest track we have on the property. Low range, diff locked. It went smoothly up, no spinning wheels, at 4 km/h. So say 2 miles an hour.

Neighbours UTVs rocket up like a scared rabbit. So to check whether my gamble with the RTVX has paid off, I need to check it will go up that same hill with a full payload…

Obviously a Can Am or Polaris can’t do that…

Sorry forgot to get pics of the climb but it’s a pretty wild gradient in places, and a long climb to the top.

Incidentally it’s worth noting we have had no shifting issues yet with the RTVX. Perhaps this new x1130 model has had the transmission upgrade that went into the new top of the line RTVX 2?

Alan

Smilingreen

OK the whole family went out for a spin in the RTVX yesterday evening. More general performance testing.

We drove up the steepest track we have on the property. Low range, diff locked. It went smoothly up, no spinning wheels, at 4 km/h. So say 2 miles an hour.

Neighbours UTVs rocket up like a scared rabbit. So to check whether my gamble with the RTVX has paid off, I need to check it will go up that same hill with a full payload…

Obviously a Can Am or Polaris can’t do that…

Sorry forgot to get pics of the climb but it’s a pretty wild gradient in places, and a long climb to the top.

Incidentally it’s worth noting we have had no shifting issues yet with the RTVX. Perhaps this new x1130 model has had the transmission upgrade that went into the new top of the line RTVX 2?

Alan
Sometimes, it's just being able to enjoy the scenery at a pace that you can absorb it all in is what it is about. Flying past everything like a wooden picket fence does not create a lot of lasting memories. My days of being an adrenaline junky are long over. I enjoy driving through the trails in my woods at 5 mph. 10 mph is plenty fast enough driving around my farm fields. I enjoy driving the back country roads in my RTV doing just 15 miles per hour. Especially when I have heat and AC in my cab.
My old Deere 855D diesel gator will run about 10 MPH faster than my Kubota RTVX1100C will, but I enjoy my RTV much more as it has many creature comforts that my Deere just doesn't have. I can go for a leisurely drive when it is 100F outside with 95% humidity and never break a sweat. I can go out for a drive on the backroads at midnight in the middle of a snow blizzard. -15F? No problem. Toasty inside the cab. I bought the vehicle that had the features that were important to me as the purchaser. I knew before I bought it that it would not be as (semi) fast as my old Deere is.

I say all of this as it seems you might be doubting if you made the right purchase. If you want to go fast, then you need to trade the Kubota in on something that is gasoline powered, has a 225 HP engine, costs $40,000 to $80,000 and breaks down all of the time. The Kubota will never be a fast vehicle. It was designed as a heavy duty utility vehicle. A work horse. I watch several youtube channels of guys who do off-road vehicle recoveries in the wilderness. The number one type of vehicle they recover all of the time from the wilderness due to catastrophic frame, suspension and driveline failures? The go fast CanAm Maverick and Polaris RZR.

Attachments

• IMG_0472.JPG
    IMG_0472.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 6EB81BF3-E86C-417E-B8F6-7426DC7B9069_1_105_c.jpeg
    6EB81BF3-E86C-417E-B8F6-7426DC7B9069_1_105_c.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 5

NT5224

Sometimes, it's just being able to enjoy the scenery at a pace that you can absorb it all in is what it is about. Flying past everything like a wooden picket fence does not create a lot of lasting memories. My days of being an adrenaline junky are long over. I enjoy driving through the trails in my woods at 5 mph. 10 mph is plenty fast enough driving around my farm fields. I enjoy driving the back country roads in my RTV doing just 15 miles per hour. Especially when I have heat and AC in my cab.
My old Deere 855D diesel gator will run about 10 MPH faster than my Kubota RTVX1100C will, but I enjoy my RTV much more as it has many creature comforts that my Deere just doesn't have. I can go for a leisurely drive when it is 100F outside with 95% humidity and never break a sweat. I can go out for a drive on the backroads at midnight in the middle of a snow blizzard. -15F? No problem. Toasty inside the cab. I bought the vehicle that had the features that were important to me as the purchaser. I knew before I bought it that it would not be as (semi) fast as my old Deere is.

I say all of this as it seems you might be doubting if you made the right purchase. If you want to go fast, then you need to trade the Kubota in on something that is gasoline powered, has a 225 HP engine, costs $40,000 to $80,000 and breaks down all of the time. The Kubota will never be a fast vehicle. It was designed as a heavy duty utility vehicle. A work horse. I watch several youtube channels of guys who do off-road vehicle recoveries in the wilderness. The number one type of vehicle they recover all of the time from the wilderness due to catastrophic frame, suspension and driveline failures? The go fast CanAm Maverick and Polaris RZR.
Smiling green.

Thanks for your considered response to my post. I can assure you I’m having no second thoughts on the RTVX. It was selected over other side by side brands with one mission. To carry 550 kg ( 1000 + lbs) in the bed and haul it around our property tracks including the very steepest climbs and descents.

To be specific the 550kg is our fire fighting gear. Every year we spend months in fire season preparation burns and several days battling actual wildfires. We need to get this stuff to all parts of our property and in my evaluation, none of the other brands would be able to do that.

I just need to confirm that the RTVX can. It gets up the toughest slopes unladen, how will it go under load?

I am no speed demon. I don’t care if the RTVX is slow. Given the technical difficulty of the slopes I am describing I don’t think it would be wise to ascend any faster than walking speed. My wife also loves going slowly to enjoy the passing landscape. And The Boy can hop down and trot alongside when he wishes. I think the RTVX will be well suited to our needs. Maybe uniquely suited.

Cheers

Alan

ItBmine

VERY well said! And spot on how I feel also.

ItBmine

Regards

Alan

Very nice! I also like the long bed. Especially me who only buys trucks with 8 foot beds. I sure hope it does everything you want it to do and you are satisfied with your purchase.
Mine recently went on a recovery mission to pull one of the "fast" ones home out of the bush.

I see where you said it shifts smoothly. That's the only thing I dislike about my 2020 RTV-X1100C. Mine shifts a lot better than some I test drove on the lot before I bought mine, but the odd time, especially when plowing it will catch you. But eventually I learned how to time my shifts without it sticking.

NT5224

Hi everybody.

Hope all and their families are well.

So we’re about three weeks into Kubota ownership and have really only used it two or three times. It’s still on its first tank of fuel.

But we love it! Last night my wife and our boy climbed into the RTVX and went for a cross country spin to some water holes where the boy could swim.

The drive was amazing through desolate rocky terrain through steep hills and gorges and across dry creek beds. At this time of year the forest is parched crackly and dry and the grasses shrivelled. Vast bushfires are burning 30km upwind so the sunset was tinged with smoke. The overall effect was otherworldly.

Terrain the RTVX was built for! It was a good 25 minute ride down to the water holes. One had a crocodile basking in the bank so the Boy stayed on the tray. The next was croc free so he was straight in swimming strongly across. He loves swimming. Then after a shake he’s back into the tray of the RTVX.

My wife was driving and each time we use the RTVX we just appreciate it more, it’s sturdiness and suitability for our conditions.

The transmission has worked a dream and we’ve even started ascending some slopes in High ratio, where possible

Loving the RTVX! What a perfect choice

Alan

NT5224

I have ordered two accessories for our RTVX. They are now on en route to us here in Australia.

1 a versa-fold windshield
2 a hood carry-rack

Also mirrors and seat covers

They have come from Trail and Farm.

Will update when they arrive

Alan

touras

Hi everybody.

Hope all and their families are well.

So we’re about three weeks into Kubota ownership and have really only used it two or three times. It’s still on its first tank of fuel.

But we love it! Last night my wife and our boy climbed into the RTVX and went for a cross country spin to some water holes where the boy could swim.

The drive was amazing through desolate rocky terrain through steep hills and gorges and across dry creek beds. At this time of year the forest is parched crackly and dry and the grasses shrivelled. Vast bushfires are burning 30km upwind so the sunset was tinged with smoke. The overall effect was otherworldly.

Terrain the RTVX was built for! It was a good 25 minute ride down to the water holes. One had a crocodile basking in the bank so the Boy stayed on the tray. The next was croc free so he was straight in swimming strongly across. He loves swimming. Then after a shake he’s back into the tray of the RTVX.

My wife was driving and each time we use the RTVX we just appreciate it more, it’s sturdiness and suitability for our conditions.

The transmission has worked a dream and we’ve even started ascending some slopes in High ratio, where possible

Loving the RTVX! What a perfect choice

Alan
Sounds like an amazing place you live! Glad you're liking the new addition.