Muffler shock

hmgary

Just bought a new muffler "kit" for my 05 900. Of course the kit doesn't include the gasket! Total damages: $427!!

DocGP

whew, just wondering, would a muffler shop be able to fit a generic muffler or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Doc

I would have a shiney custom built stainless steel model built for that sum of money. Yanmar mufflers are a little less but still very expensive. I would have to cut it apart to see just what makes a four hundred plus muffler tick. I know... its the spark arrestor that fits inside the outlet. I bet that would be hard to copy..... right !

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Crap! I thought $240 for my Case backhoe was bad. I had to get the original as the hood tilts and it is a tight fit over the pipe. Guarantee you my local muffler shop would fit something up for my 900 for under $100.

hmgary

I'm sure a muffler shop could come up with something cheaper, and probably better. My old muffler was still sound but the tailpipe fell off, weld failed. This new muffler has a bolt on tailpipe. I miss the days when you could throw on a cherry bomb muffler and you were good to go. Fortunately my employer bought this, still seems like a rip off.

HMGARY :
I would like to see one cut open to see the " mystery " internals that make it so pricey. If you take on this mission take a few minutes and shoot some pictures. Were sure interested to see if it is a " mechanical super structure " or a $29.. Tractor Supply special. I believe in paying for quality parts .... if the quality is built in.

Midas is great for the lifetime guarantee if you live in their glass house. First they have to install it and when you show up with papers in hand and the defective merchandise they locate a way to charge one with incidentals that amounts to payment of the replacement any way. The fine print is a great invention and it helps to be a New York lawyer to interpret it.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
That is a rip off alright. But don't get me started- I hadn't taken my blood pressure med yet.!! I hope they change their philosophy on this rip off matter or I may consider other makes when it comes time to buy new. bordercollie

hmgary

I know what you're saying. I bought this used and it seems to be in good shape. I would like to add a glass winshield and a hydraulic bed lift. I just don't want to put an additional $2200 into it. The Kawasaki Mules are starting to look awfully nice.

cov62431

Guys the reason they are expensive is the color! That orange is quite costly. Let me throw out some numbers here. Price a transmission assembly, approx $6500 maybe more now. The motor if you ever had to go that route approx $4500 or better. A key switch for this little beauty, a little over $50. I like the way they are built and how they perform but man they can be expensive to fix.

hmgary

Mine's camo. I almost forgot, I already did the $700 drive shaft replacement. The original with the carrier bearing looked like it came off a child's pedal car.

cov62431

Did you happen to look at the splines of the pinion shaft and the 4wd shaft coming out of the transmission? I have one (Kubota 900) at work that the drive shaft almost cut clean through the bottom guard because it had so much play. The only thing I can figure is that the splines were already worn when the conversion was made which ruined the drive shaft and the splines. The other units I've seen with the conversion were fine. Just curious, that one has me puzzled.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just had to comment - I love my elderly Yanmar. I see new replica mufflers from four different vendors on ebay at the moment that are made for it.

Prices (including shipping) around $85. :wall:

Yanmar mufflers..... But nothing for kubota, the main stream of this thread. My search did not find a single aftermarket replacement. Kubota celebrated building its 20 million mark in engine production recently. One would think this would be a great market share to be into.

Mark.Sibole

Your paying for the Kubota name.
Im more than sure you could use a similar muffler from an auto patrs store and make it work with some slight modifications.
Im sure it isnt nothing that some fabricating and a wire welder couldnt do.

Mark.Sibole

I know what you're saying. I bought this used and it seems to be in good shape. I would like to add a glass winshield and a hydraulic bed lift. I just don't want to put an additional $2200 into it. The Kawasaki Mules are starting to look awfully nice.

You dont want a Mule its a POS trust me I killed 1 in just 4 years here

My friend had a Mule. It was definately not made to last. Plus when you want out...... who do you unload it to ? ( without giving it away )

hmgary

I'm sure a replacement muffler could be fabricated, but unfortunately I never learned to weld. The threaded bracket that holds one end of the muffler could be salvaged from your old muffler and the flanged end that fits on the manifold could be made. What really got me was the fact the muffler didn't come with a new gasket, had to be purchased separately. Also when you put the new muffler on you need to torque the bolts to a specific rating and sequence. If you don't it says the flange will crack.
Pretty cheesy.

Is that their claim to fame..... the muffler has flanges ( thin ones at that ) ? Last time I looked the flange basket didn't have any armed guards so they can't be that expensive. Maybe the spot weld process has some merit because the metal is too thin to weld. Still would like to see a picture of the inside. I bet it is no different than any run of the mill counterpart.

hmgary

It has the famed internal spark arrestor! The other difference between my old muffler and the new one is the tailpipe is a separate piece that bolts on to the muffler. The old muffler had the tailpipe welded to the muffler. In fact this is where my old one failed. The weld broke at the base of the tailpipe. This new and improved muffler will probably fail at the other end.