INSTALL A HEATER IN A KUBOTA 900 UTV

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Two Guns , thanks for the link. That is a good source of info. and may be all one would need in milder climates !! Bordercollie</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a windshield but no cab.</p>

If you don't have a cab, I'd propose you look at radient heaters instead of heaters that blow warm air. The radient heat objects (you) instead of the air.</p>

I have one of these that works pretty well. The propane tank fits nicely in the cup holder. I ran some electric tape around the tank a couple times to make it fit snuggly in the cup holder. PS. That green stand on the bottom of the tank slides off to get it in the cup holder.</p>
<h1 id="product-name"><span class="main-title">Mr Heater F273200</span></h1>

base_media
</p>

</p>

Captain

Two Guns, I found the same 300 watt heater(Roadpro RPSL-681 at www.directdepot.net ) for $38. Installed it in July 09, so I don't know how good it will work yet. I made an "L" shaped bracket and put it on the right side of the accelerator with approx 6" floor clearance. Captain</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="bczoom"]The propane tank fits nicely in the cup holder[/quote]BCZoom, Do you have much of a problem with the wind "whiffing" out the heater or does the windshield protect it? Thanks , Bordercollie</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i have one of them coleman radient heaters i used for my hpx the wind will neverblow them out because there isn't any flame to see in them.i have had mine onwhile i was driving at 25mph/30mph without a windshield and it never went out didn't do much good without a winshield though but it was nice when i was creapin through the woods at low speed.</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
As Tommy stated, they really can't be blown out. Without a windshield, you'll have the wind chill factor (about 1 degree colder per mph of wind).</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Guys. So , with me being such a cheapskate, I was wondering- how long does one of those disposable tanks last? as far as hours go? Even with no windshield, it would be nice to be able to melt the icicles off my nose for a few seconds-- when I stop anyway . ;-) Thanks, Bordercollie</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
the heater should say how many hours it will run on the box or in the specs sheet.i never really noticed how long it ran but from memory i would say it will run all day forsure and you can get a adaptor so you can refill your small bottlesuseing a 20lbs bottle so buying alot of them little bottle really isn't needed.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Tommy is perfectly right on refilling the bottles ...</p>

We do it here every winter and save much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$</p>

Several outlets sells the adapter forrefilling the small bottles, just purchased the second on yesterday tokeep out on the farm when needed there. LIke many things, nothing makes me angry is to to need something in one place, and the item being at another, best to get two >>>></p>

</p>

............ TWO guns </p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Well this is great news!! We have a really old fitting that we fill our 20 lb tanks out of the big 500 gallon propane tank. so I have a way to fill the 20 gallon and can get the adapter to fill the little ones out of that. Many thanks for that information . I almost dismissed the notion of such a heater because of the expensive bottles. I love to save money!! Thank ya'll !! Bordercollie</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I did find something out (or basically remember) when I went to put that tank in the cup holder. The cup holder insert needs to be removed. Once removed, that's when the tank fits perfectly. There's a small seam 1/2 way up the tank that sticks out a bit. That's what I wrapped the electric tape around to make sure it's snug and doesn't slip down the cup holder opening any further.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i'm not sure how the cup holder attachment is on that heater but mine came with asleeve that fit around the tank so i took the sleeve and screwed it to the bottom of the cup holder in my hpx then i put the heater in it . this way it wouldn't fall over because the heater is a bit top heavy atleast the one i have is the heater part is about10" around</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
500 gallon tank that should last you for a while .i had one of them in my rent trailer it would last all winter and most of the summer til i had to refill it.i would like to get one for my home to use in emergency times. we got some propane stove to cook on when the electricity goes out in storms .i bet a 500 gallo0n tank just for cooking would last a while. when the huricane comes i use the propane stoves to cook when the generator is down for resting time. plus it's better to cook outside because of the heat. i have 3 window units that i runoff my generator it cools the house down to about 65 degrees. but a nice huge tank would be great. right now we keep about 7 20lbs bottle full and i keep 12 or so 1lbs bottles stored in my closet.</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tommy,</p>

You're thinking of a 500 pound unit, not 500 gallons.</p>

If you're using it only for cooking only, it's way too big. That's more than you could use for emergency cooking in your entire lifetime. You would probably be better off with 100 pound tanks which are slightly larger than your welders O2 tank. (basically, it's about the same diameter as a 20# tank but it's over 4' tall. I like these since they're more portable and you can take to get filled yourself, instead of bringing a truck in.</p>

</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i never thought about if it was a 500lbs or 500 gallon . the tank was about 6feet long and about 24"in diameter we used itfor the water heater/stove and furnace.i would hope it would last along time if i just used it forcooking i thought about getting a generator to run off it to but i really don't know how long a gerator would last on one of them tanks. my brotheris a boss and runs a crane company "the one i got hurt workin for" and he ordered two deisel engines one for a crane and the other he gave it to me it's brand new never been fired over i wanna make a generator out of it.</p>

</p>

does anyone have a generator that runs off of propane if so how is it on fuel econemy??</p>

I have the conventional heater that runs off the cooling system of the RTV. Can't make out the manufacturer since I sand blasted the unit and repainted it. It was part of the Curtis cab kit and supplies heat through the cup holder opening on the drivers side and down towards the footsies at the same location. I'll look into those propane jobbies though as it seems like a convenient way to pre warm the cab.</p>

BTW.....A while back TWO GUNS ....You were not receiving email notification when posts were made. Did you ever get that straightened out? I've been having the same issue now for about 2 weeks. I just thought the forum had gone awfully quietuntil I got one notification 2 days ago and then they stopped again.....</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
you could make your own heater . just find an old a/c unit and take out one of the coils and use a tee to spilt off your radiator hoses . they sell them 12volt fans that mount to radiators just mount it to the coil and when you need heat just open the valve and turn on the fan . the hot water from the radiator will flow through the the coil and walla you got heat atleast i think so.lol they use the same method for them ice coolersand make some nice a/c units out of them.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
[quote user="Kubota Kanook"]</p>

</p>

BTW.....A while back TWO GUNS ....You were not receiving email notification when posts were made. Did you ever get that straightened out? </p>
<div style="CLEAR: both"></div>

[/quote]</p>

That is a " yes & no " >>>>> It got striaightend out, but it's still not like it used to be. I find myself behind on much post .</p>

To Our host, Messicks, I know he is reading this, whatever you did last time to get it fixed, DO IT AGAIN, needs buffing up again >>>> still not getting all we need to get ....</p>

......... two guns</p>

</p>