hard shifting

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My 2015 x1100c can be tough to get out of gear if on a grade but when level it's smooth. One time I did turn it off in L in my garage and had a heck of a time getting it to N to start next time I got in it. Turning the wheel helped finally free it up to get out of L.

If yours is hard to shift every time no matter sounds like the linkage is in need of adjustment.

Ohio_Pawpaw_Grower

Site Supporter
I agree with Doc - if it is tough to shift all the time, a dealer adjustment might be in order. But its only in certain situations, you learn little tricks. Sometimes a gentle tap on the go pedal with help. If the tranny is on a bind, make sure the the parking brake is off and firmly press the brake pedal while shifting. That helps sometimes. My Honda Foreman does this sometimes and if you are able to use your body to rock it a little, that works sometimes. I try to remember to set the parking brake and put it in neutral if I have to park on unlevel ground. Of all those tips, the go pedal tap seems to work the best. My 2016 1120 has smoothed out over time. Hope that helps you. Welcome Paul

Tony

Mork

Hard shifting is a trait of these machines. Over time it will get a little easier but never free shift. I bought my 2017 with 40hrs and 400kms and had to battle with it to get in into and out of gear. Now at 200hrs and 3500kms it shifts somewhat easier but does have its moments where it is difficult. I also fine the 4x4 leaver hard to disengage at times but as was previously said here, just bump the throttle a little and it will pop in or out easier.

ohmy34

There is a cable running to the rear of the transmission from the brake peddle.when you mash the brakes firmly it release pressure on the transmission to make shifting easier. It may take like 5 seconds to release. Jonathan

Peter James

OH!!! I wondered it there was something like that, I have discovered that it works, but did not know that it was an intended feature. Thank you.
Peter

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
When I first acquired my X900 it was hard to get into gear. I found the pressure-release cable connecting the brake pedal to the rear of the trans to be so loose as to be useless. I readjusted it and took up the slack and it solved 90% of the problem.
The only other times it’s difficult ...it mimics a mechanical trans which has gear-teeth not meshing. A light “tap” on the “go pedal” moves the gears and it then readily slips into gear.

I used a label maker to place on the lower windshield for family members and guests to see “Apply Brakes to Change Gears”. Problem solved.

mgrick

Mine was pretty bad also, dealer picked it up and also noticed how bad it was to shift gears. They made some adjustments which seem to have helped. Unfortunately there are times when you have to try several things to get it unstuck. It's just the way it is!
Mine will also pop out of gear sometimes when I shift into reverse on an incline, I think the weight of the plow up front might not be helping.

Reactions: Doc

pdgriesse

Many THANKS, Gentlemen! ALL those suggestions seem to help! I guess hard shifting IS the nature of the beast... Shame on Kubota for not making shifting easy with either an electric or hydralic shift mechanism. Such a well engineered machine, too!! (great snow pusher except for hard shifting.....) Thanks, paul

RandyB509

Thanks for these tips, I've also experienced this on my new X900 and had forgotten about the brake/pressure relief thing.

Semper-Fi

My 2015 x1100c can be tough to get out of gear if on a grade but when level it's smooth. One time I did turn it off in L in my garage and had a heck of a time getting it to N to start next time I got in it. Turning the wheel helped finally free it up to get out of L.

If yours is hard to shift every time no matter sounds like the linkage is in need of adjustment.
I find that the level ground is "my friend" when it comes to shifting. I know my 20 acres very well, so that i can anticipate what gear i want to be in prior to getting to the different grade i am approaching. I just roughly position my 2020X1100C so that (front to back) i am (safely) as level as possible then apply brake then shift to the gear i want, sometimes, if needed slightly bumping the throttle pedal. This seems long drawn out but happens very quickly with practice. Love my machine. Larry

Peter James

From the service manual: "
The bypass circuit will not be created even if you activate the VHT pressure release knob unless you apply the brake and stop the unit"

Where and what is the "pressure release knob"?
Peter

pdgriesse

My 2007 1000RTV had one, on the dash---my new 2020 1000cx does not. Just apply the brake and hold for 5 seconds....