Dome light switch

ZMAN

I installed a door jam switch to operate the dome light today on my 2018 X1100C. Now when I open the door my dome light comes on. The light is set up to come on by the ground being switched so this was an easy hack.

Attachments

• 20221223_130004.jpg
    20221223_130004.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 50
  • 20221223_130020.jpg
    20221223_130020.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 45
  • 20221223_141836.jpg
    20221223_141836.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 46

Armyaviatr

SUPER Site Supporter
I too have been thinking about doing the above mentioned modification. It did not occur to me to put the switch where you did. My idea was to put the switch on hinge side of the door in the dash plastic. My location requires a longer run of wires and lots more labor the run the wire. Did you connect the switch to the second position on the dome light switch so you can turn off the jamb switch?

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
This has been on my list of improvements to do after I wired in my intermittent wiper unit.
My concern is that the dome light will be left on too often as the doors on the X1100C are so tight that it takes some force to fully close them when the windows are up. Have you noticed this to be a problem? - Also, what specs can you give us regarding the make or model # of the jam switch? Thanks !

ZMAN

The switch I ordered on eBay. Just Googled door jamb switch. When the door opens the switch grounds out. If you unplug the dome light, you will see three connectors on the switch. There are only 2 in the incoming connector. You connect the wire from the door switch to that 3rd unused connector. I soldered the wire on to it. There are 3 positions on the dome light switch OFF, middle and ON. Off and ON stay the same but now the middle position works with the new door switch. If the switch is in the middle position the door switch will activate the light. If not in that middle position the light will not come on. This is great because in the summer you can leave the doors open and the light will not be on unless the switch is in the middle position.
armyaviatr, I didn't thing about the dash as a mount. The switch is self-grounding when you screw it on so the plastic would be a problem. [fixable] It is tricky drilling through the door jamb as it is hollow and you have to drill through both sides because of the length of the switch. I also slid a piece of plastic tubing over the connector on the door switch so it could not accidentally ground out.
BiffNF, the switch that I ordered sticks out a long way and disengages even if the door is ajar. See photo above. It is long.

Armyaviatr

SUPER Site Supporter
Zman, thanks for the update. I did find some similar switches on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JVBR5KG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I figured I would play around with them and see if I could find a solution, I am comfortable with. I personally am not comfortable with drilling into the frame. I do like the idea of having the dome light work with the door(s). I often drive my x1100 at night and wish Kubota would have made it night friendly.

tfdr1

I'm taking this one step further and adding a delay module so the light will stay on for a few seconds (adjustable) after shutting the door door. The module is programmable for amount of delay and also will shut light off after a few minutes if door is left open.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm taking this one step further and adding a delay module so the light will stay on for a few seconds (adjustable) after shutting the door door. The module is programmable for amount of delay and also will shut light off after a few minutes if door is left open.

You are getting fancy! Looks like a nice module. If it works as well as the intermittent wiper module it will be a nice addition.

tfdr1

You are getting fancy! Looks like a nice module. If it works as well as the intermittent wiper module it will be a nice addition.

It's a cute little thing, LOL. I was going to do the dome light project over the weekend but still can't decide if I want to mount the jamb switches in the same location as ZMAN put his or if I can come up with a different spot.

I configured the delay for 5 seconds and a 10 minute timeout if door left open.

Dave

Attachments

• 20230101_214735.jpg
    20230101_214735.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Wow
Reactions: Doc

ZMAN

It is kind of a pain to install where I put mine. Problem is you have to drill thru the frame which is a tube, so you have to drill through both sides. I see the same problem anywhere along the door frame. Putting it in the side of the dash seems feasible but you will have to run another wire to add a ground the switch + you have to make sure the switch is long enough to contact the door when it closes. The delay module seems like a nice idea. I didn't even know something like that was available.

tfdr1

It is kind of a pain to install where I put mine. Problem is you have to drill thru the frame which is a tube, so you have to drill through both sides. I see the same problem anywhere along the door frame. Putting it in the side of the dash seems feasible but you will have to run another wire to add a ground the switch + you have to make sure the switch is long enough to contact the door when it closes. The delay module seems like a nice idea. I didn't even know something like that was available.

I had no clue these existed either until I Googled "dome light delay module" and this one seemed to be perfect because you can set the parameters the way you want.

I was thinking about mounting the switches up near the cupholders but haven't looked to see how much space olis behind the plastic.

Dave

Reactions: Doc

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I have a two pole switch coming and I hope to install it at drivers shoulder height on the plastic. There is enough space behind it and it is easy to get to. The switch is arriving this week so I hope to have a report by the end of the week. Have already snaked the wire and made the connections at the dome light so all I have to do (I hope) is to position the switch.

tfdr1

I have a two pole switch coming and I hope to install it at drivers shoulder height on the plastic. There is enough space behind it and it is easy to get to. The switch is arriving this week so I hope to have a report by the end of the week. Have already snaked the wire and made the connections at the dome light so all I have to do (I hope) is to position the switch.

Do you have a picture of the switch? I'm always looking for options before I commit to what I already bought.

Dave