Wiring relay or switch?

DigOrange

I did some searching and didn't come up with anything on this.

Just wondering what the opinions are regarding high power devices like large lights being run through large current rated switches or if you use a smaller switch to control a relay to handle the load.

I'm installing 4 lights at 100W each. Would like to control the 2 fronts together and the 2 rears together. Two lights is 200 Watts, so at 12V that would be almost 17 amps. Most switches are rated at 15 amps. I would think for this I would be better off to use a smaller switch and then a relay to handle the load. Opinions?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I know relays are the way to go on a lot of applications but my preference is not to use them. It's just that much more wiring and moreso, another failure point.

Is there a particular reason you want to wire 2 lights to 1 switch? My preference is to wire most of the lights individually. I "think" most of my lights are 55w and for many situations, a single light is adequate. At 200 watts, isn't it going to be overkill for a lot of lighting situations (especially when parked)? Another reason to consider switching them individually is the draw on the battery.

If you don't go with a relay or individual switching, most car parts stores (or Radio Shack) sell 20 amp switches.

DigOrange

Good point on switching them individually. I guess I didn't think a couple hundred watts would be too much light.

I guess if I decide to run all the lights very often I would need to add another battery and an isolator. I love wiring projects.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If you're running all the lights a lot, a deep cycle marine battery is probably a better choice than a pair of regular batteries with an isolator.

[quote user="ez chair"]remember to use a heavy gauge wire (14-16) if not using a relay.[/quote]
Maybe that's why my RTV is so heavy... I think I have 500' of 12 gauge wire in it.

MRBASS

I really dont like messing with electrical stuff,,way too many opportunities for trouble.</P>

I dislike even more messing with a factory wiring harness which is why i do my own fuse box for accessories. I mounted a fuse box ($10.00)under the electrical cover above the engine on the back of the cab and run my accessories from there. If i ever have a problem i can cut 1 wire and kill everything on my fuse box and not worry about the factory wires.In the dash of the Kubota there is spaces for switches that were intended for signals or something,,pop off the cover and a carling switch will snap right in. I used a sealed marine 20A Carlingswitch with on-off-on,I cant have all four on at the same time but up is the2front and down is forthe2rear lights.Works like a charm so far. Ran the fronts for about 3 hrs straight tonight without a glitch.</P>

http://www.carlingtech.com/images/photos/switch_v-series-contura-iv.jpg</P>