What's the best winch for the RTV?

ez chair

Need input. Warn XT 30, Warn RT 40, Ramsey 5000. I belive the XT30 fits in the cavity, but the others mount outside on the guard. Kubota's winch I belive is the RT30. The "RT's" have wired remotes, while the XT is wireless. The Ramsey has 5000lbs. of pull vs 3000 and 4000 for the Warns.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Most all winches are good now days, I own bothWarn & Ramseys on my equipment. Being the RTV has a Ramsey 3000 with Rocker Switch ....</P>

I perfered installing the mounting kit for the RTV being I didn't want to get on my knees & belly to dig for the winch cable in the throat of the RTV when the time comes... And let me say this, I really like the way we got it fixed up... </P>

Any accessories you purchase from Kubota is pricey !!!! Including the winch !!! Lots of folks have been getting some special prices on their winches from allterrainonline.com >>> They carry both Ramsey and Warn , wireless / and or remote controls.... Found out today during a conversation with another owner, that that company now carries the Ramsey with syn rope, proper fairlead, wireless remote, and a dash control .. and another great thing is their shipping is free on their winches, that's a big saving in itself !!!! But any winch is a big plus when the time comes !!!! Go ahead and invest in yourself a snatch block, to double you pulling power if you ever need it ......</P>

The preferred winch at our shop is Warn. Heavier is always better. At 4000lbs, the Warn is twice the winch capacity that you'll need, thus exceeding the 150% rule.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
First, welcome to the forum.

I can't give an opinion until/unless I know what your usage is for the winch. Is it to get yourself out when stuck or dragging things to the RTV or ??? Do you have a plow? How often will you be using it?

Also, is there a reason you have Warn listed in the 3-4K range but not the Ramsey?

ez chair

No reason for leaving 3-4 Ramsey out. 90% pulling fence, logs,etc. 10% pulling out RTV ( I was told they don't get stuck!). Two Guns, Great picture. You make a point I did not think of "how easy is use when unit is in cavity?" I understand RT 40 and Ramsey 5000 do not fit in cavity. Syntetic rope mentioned, is it worth the money?

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Ezchair,</P>

I have winches in the cavity of several different things, they are great till you have to use them, cannot see everything, and always seem to spend more time reaching in, and always, it's never a clean, easy situation, so that's why I installed mine on the winch mounts. In that case, I could always just walk in the front , grab, release, freespool out, hook and engage the winch.... If my winch was in the throat of the RTV, I don't believe I could ever disengage to free spool the cable.</P>

[:|]</P>

About the Synthetic Rope, I don't have one, YET , but I hear they work great!!!!</P>

BczoomI understand is in the process of installing a syn rope on his unit >>>>. [:O]</P>

With Recomendations from this forum...I am buying a 3000# Ramsey. All TerrainOnline has a package. The 3000 Ramsey winch.. with rope instead of cable.. all ready installed, It also has the needed hawse fairlead. It has a wireless remote as well as a wired switch for inside thevehicle.</P>

I will use my winch forpulling logs to my trails, andas backup in case I get stuck. 3000# is so -so in size forgetting unstuck. butAsJamiehas said, one can use a pulley block to double the winche'spower. </P>

glenn</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="hammerhead"]3000# is so -so in size forgetting unstuck.[/quote]
Don't underestimate that winch. I was dragging a log to the trail and it snagged. The RTV was on the trail, going up a hill, with the emergency brake on and the winch grunted but started dragging the RTV up the hill.

[quote user="bczoom"][quote user="hammerhead"]3000# is so -so in size forgetting unstuck.[/quote]
Don't underestimate that winch. I was dragging a log to the trail and it snagged. The RTV was on the trail, going up a hill, with the emergency brake on and the winch grunted but started dragging the RTV up the hill.
[/quote]</P>

I meant to say that some people here have said that a 3000# winch might be so-so. I have no experience yet. But with something as simple as a pulley block doubling what you can pull I wonder why one would really need a bigger winch on this machine?</P>

I am starting to wonder about the space issues of putting this winch in "the front pocket"?</P>

</P>

glenn</P>

jdh1

hammerhead, I have a #3000 Ramsey wireless winch mounted " in the pocket". The advantages of the inside mount are ease of installing it, the mounting holes are already there, and untill you need it, its out of the way. I also have a snow plow and looking at Twoguns photo i'm not sure if the outside mount would interfere with the plow frame, some others on the forum might be able to answer that question. As far as free spooling, I open the hood and on the inside is a plastic door, it must be for this purpose, open the door and reach down to engage, disengage the winch. Its really hard to get your hand in from the front. I don't use the winch as much as some so it's not a problem to me. I recently installed synthetic rope and I feel it is a great safety item and much easier to work with. jdh1

Thanks jdh1 I like the easier mount.. and out of the way. I have seen the flaps under the hood where you are accessing the winch. I plan on putting a front rack on mine. I will keep my chainsaw , fuel and oil as well as other tools. So that is not a viable option for me.</P>

Brian [or anyone else] how are you making out reaching through the front? </P>

glenn</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Under the " flap " , under the hood, in that area, is where I mounted the solenoid assembly for the winch.... Easy access, easy to install, solenoid assembly is out of the way ,and you can see what in the heck you are doing !!!!</P>

[:p]</P>

Nolefan

Hello everyone, I have been lurking here for awhile and appreciate the good information. I post occasionally on the "other site" and thought I would offer my 2 cents here! I chose the Warn 3.0 winch because I got a great deal on it. It has been very good so far and seems to have plenty of power. I went with the multi mount system so I could move the winch from the front to the back. That set up has already paid for itself since the only time I have had to use the winch to save the RTV is when I was about to slide off nose first from a muddy trail into a ravine. Just switched the winch to the back receiver, plugged it into the quick connects in the rear and used a tree about 40 feet away to drag her back onto safe ground. I mounted the solenoid in the area under the drivers seat and had to have a plate and receiver fabricated and mounted to the front brushgaurd for the winch. I mounted the wired remote plug under the drivers backrest where it is easily accessible and not really noticed. I've included a few photos of the setup.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Nolefan!

Is your multi-mount setup on a 2" receiver or the 1.25". I see the 2nd receiver in the front.

Glenn - I too have the front rack. I can and do reach in from the front. It's tight but doable. If I recall correctly (it's been a few years), when I put my winch in there, I left enough wire near the winch to pull it out and mount externally if I didn't like it "in the pocket".

ez chair

Great install, Nolefan. I started this thread to help me buy the best winch for my RTV. What I've learned from everyone has helped tremendously. I like your front reciever mount. Looks like 2". What have you done to mount on back?