What weight synthetic oil ???

coobie

I have around 95 hours on the RTV.I am thinking about switching to full synthetic 5w-40 schaeffers oil.Is anyone running full synthetic oil in there RTV,if so what weight?Thanks for any information.coobie[:)]

Knoxville

Coobie,</P>

I am running Royal Purple fully synthetic 15w40 in my machine. Amsoil also makes a synthetic designed for diesels...</P>

It is important that you make sure that you are running a product that is designed for diesels.</P>

Good luck,</P>

Knoxville</P>

coobie

Next oil change I will try the schaeffers supreme 9000 5W-40 syn.that I run in my 2004 cummins diesel.coobie

jdh1

ground hog man, I was thinking along the same lines as you with the 5-40 rotella, I can buy it for the same price as kubota oil. What temperature range to you encounter where you live? Also is there any truth to not being able to go back to regular oil once you use synthetic? I need something which will handle short periods of -10 degrees or so. I,m also considering an oil pan heater. JDH1</P>

ground hog man

it rarly gets below 20 degrees i would rather had 10w40 but could not fine any i believe the 5w is fine for winter and summer months i rather have a little thinner oil in the winter than thicker i believe the 5w40 is the way to go year round in had 15w45 and it was so thick in the winter you could not pour it out of a pail think of how hard the oil pump had to work to pick it up even in moderent temp and all the parts that was running dri my little 3 cylinder sounds alot smoother now .and for the second question i have use dino oil with syn and even the bottle said thay were compatable mine has 104 hr and i switched to the 5w40rotella syn . this past weekend from 15w45 dino and i can tell a big differents in the smoothness and sound of the little 3 banger i am staying with the 5w40 rotella summer and winter.</P>

jdh1

I was using the 10-30 kubota oil for the past year mainly because I didn't want any warranty issues. I thought the kubota oil performed well, I had no problems in the winter when starting the engine using the glow plugs when it was freezing and below. I'm not sure what i'll do for the next oil change,I 'll probably try the synthetic 5-40 since it's the same price and should be at least as good if not better as the kubota oil. From what I understand there are only a few oil manufacturers that make all the oil and just label it for different brands. Thanks for the reply, JDH1

kas1263

If you are just going to use regular old, is it regular oil or is there a special one for diesel engines?

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="kas1263"]is there a special one for diesel engines? [/quote]
Yes (there's special oil for diesels).

Many oils can be used in either gas or diesel. You'll need to check the container to assure it's rated for diesels. "It'll have an API Engine Service Classifications" section on the label. For diesels, it'll have a CF rating.

Here's a page that describes the different API ratings.
http://www.unitedoil.com.au/apiclass.htm

kas1263

Oh! Oh! I've got a Kubota L2250 tractor that I've been using regular 10W30, brand name oil, what ever is the cheapest at the time. I hope I haven't screwed up.

kas1263

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
<FONT color=#ff1493 size=5></FONT><FONT color=#ff1493 size=5>kas1263</FONT> </P>

</P>

<FONT color=#ff0000 size=6>MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU !!!</FONT></P>

coobie

[quote user="kas1263"]Oh! Oh! I've got a Kubota L2250 tractor that I've been using regular 10W30, brand name oil, what ever is the cheapest at the time. I hope I haven't screwed up.

kas1263
[/quote]Nottrying to tell you what to do but I would get that oil&filter out of your tractor ASAP and get diesel approved oil(only) back in your tractor.How many hours do you have on your tractor?coobie.

kas1263

I have almost 500 hours and have been putting regular oil in for about half of that. It still runs great but I know what I am doing tomorrow.