Track Kit

symphony

I’ve performed the customary search before posing this question but haven’t come up with much?

I’m considering installing a set of tracks on a RTV X1100C if I move ahead with purchasing the machine. I have a few questions for those of you that have experience with a track system on the RTV. I’m anticipating that I would use the tracks for the winter season only. We receive a significant amount of snow during the season and it’s not uncommon to have 3-4 feet on the ground at any given time. I have a cabin that I’d like to use more often in the winter and road access is not possible since we don’t have it maintained during the winter months. The RTV would be used to haul groceries and supplies from my parking spot off the main road to my cabin located about three-quarters of a mile in from the main road.

I’m getting too old and fussy to use a snowmobile. I prefer the comfort and convenience of a heated cab. Along with the significant accumulation we also have some steep inclines and declines along the roadway. So onto my questions:

Given the weight of the RTV is the floatation with tracks sufficient to handle deep snow and steep inclines/declines?

Are there any specific techniques to be aware of when operating the RTV with tracks?

Does the RTV have sufficient power to climb steep grades? I realise that speed is compromised but just want to ensure that it can carry enough speed to make it up steep inclines?

Do tracks put any additional stresses on the drive train that would cause premature failures?

I’m considering the Camoplast T4S tracks and I understand that they make a track kit specifically for the RTV.

I appreciate any insight that you can provide.

foxalaska

I've ran tracks on an Arctic Cat Prowler 1000. They were "ok", but didn't come close to performing as well as a snowmachine in deep snow(2 1/2 foot or deeper). No flotation. The snow in interior Alaska is very dry which tends not to pack well. The tracks worked well on soft tundra as long as I was careful not to tear thru it and get into the permafrost muck underneath. It made a long day out of a short ride. The big issue I had with the tracks was the wear it put on the steering components and suspension. I quit using them for that reason. The Kubota seems a little more "skookum", and may hold up better, but it is twice as heavy as the Prowler also.

poke

I have the camoplast on a x900.
I don't have anything to say about snow because we haven't had any yet this year.

First, make sure your garage door is tall enough: the tracks raise the already tall vehicle by 5 inches.
Negotiating steep places: It does it with superior traction, not speed.
Speed is roughly halved when compared to wheels so you won't win many races.
You'll probably want to hack the front bumper some unless you are willing to accept a rather wide turning radius. I did not want to sacrifice the superb agility of the machine.
I live in steep woods on clay soil and I am not happy with the amount of damage the tracks can do to the surface by simply driving over it, with no spinning out at all. The treads act like cookie cutters in some places and you'll see the tracks for a long time.
The two times I have got stuck was sideways on a slope when a tread belt popped off... keep an eye on the tension. Inothewords, operator negligence.
A real workhorse machine.

woodsy

We have 4 RTV900s for work that we're using Camoplast T4S tracks on. We were having extreme difficulty getting around on tires in the snow and mud of the winter and early spring so decided to give the tracks a try. Even though the tracks aren't cheap, they're worth every penny in these conditions. The tracks have turned the RTV900 into a very capable off-road soft-conditions machine whereas we got to where we left them in the shed before. Yes, the speed is cut in half with the tracks but you'll definitely get to where you're going. It was always a challenge trying to get around with tires but the tracks have eliminated that worry.

Now the bad part; Camoplast has quite possibly the worst customer service that I've ever experienced. Whomever designed the mounting kit for the RTV must have been stoned because we kept having problems with the rears. A bolt would occasionally fall out which left parts scattered across the landscape. We tried to get help from Camoplast multiple times but they never came through. In complete frustration, I ended up redesigning/reworking the assembly and they've worked great ever since.

Would I recommend tracks for the RTV? Without question. If you want to count on that heavy beast going through mud and snow without having to winch then tracks are the answer. It is amazing what an RTV with tracks will go through. I'm sure we can get them stuck but no one's been able to yet. I pity whoever does because it will take a tank to pull them out.

You can also avoid the hassle of trying to deal with the factory by finding a reliable dealer. We don't have that option. Matter-of-fact, when I tried getting the dealer to help with our problems he actually said that "it might be something we'd have to fix ourselves". Good grief! I was lucky that I had a small machine shop where I could design and make the parts myself.

woodsy

I do not but will be using it all next week. I'll take a few and post them when I get back to a computer.

woodsy

Here are a few pics (hopefully) as promised. Note that the pic with the marshy area in the background; this has about 8" of water over bottomless muck. I wouldn't have made it with tires but the tracks floated right over the mud. The winch on this thing hasn't been used since I started using tracks.
RTVside_zpsh757s3z6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
RTVrear_zpsahjs96ua.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
RTVfront_zpsknvfnh5h.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
RTVswamp_zpsxjhliw9l.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

woodsy

Are there restrictors to keep the track assembly from oscillating too far??

Yes. Each track has a bracket that prevents the unit from over rotating on the hub. The front bracket on the RTV attaches to the A frames and the rears attach to the frame itself. Installation is easy.

Front steering is also limited by the use of cables. This is necessary to prevent rubbing and potential tearing of the tracks on the frame during a turn.

poke

On the x900 the steering is limited by setscrews with locknut. With stock bumper you need to limit the steering pretty severely. I hacked the bumper instead.