To Wire or Not to Wire that is the Question

ez chair

Ok lets here from you winch owners. How do you control your winch. Sitting in the seat. With your wired remote. Or are you a wireless wonder. Are you satisfied with your current control?

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I have a rocker switch that is installed in the cab on the RTV..... Didn't want a wireless, nothing wrong with them, Just didn't have any use for one in my application. The only time I will ever use my winch, is to winch my RTV out, IF it ever gets stuck.... But, haven't used it yet, them 589's are walking me all threw them horrible places in the swamps >>></P>

I have many winches on my equipment, and most 99% of my winching in from the seat !!! That way I can give the winches a little help while givin' the vehicle a little wheel turning also..... And keeping my rpms up, keeping juice going back into the batteries !!!</P>

Yes, I am satified with the way my set up is. </P>

And on my Warn winches, that has hand controls, I usallly just sit in the seat also !!!! [Y]</P>

</P>

</P>

<FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2></FONT><FONT size=6> </FONT></FONT><FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=5><FONT size=6>jamie ~~~~ Two Guns</FONT> </FONT></P>

MRBASS

</P>

My winch came with the rocker switch for a handle bar mount but my thoughts were to cut that switch off and use a rocker switch like the factory switches with 2 momentary ons and 1 off in the center,which would be used while my butt was in the seat.I used a factory stylerocker switch {marine version}mounted in one of the dash holesfor my front lights with 2 on's and 1 off. There is still another hole for a switch in the dash that i was thinking of using for the winch.</P>

I still havent decided on how i will be installing my winch or how I am going to wire it. </P>

I have a receiver hitch that i welded a plate to from the bad boy buggy that i could use for the front or the rear,then again i kind of like the idea of having it in that pocket behind the front bumper.I could also do like two guns and just mount in on the front bumper and throw a cover on it.Still trying to decide if i want to be able to move it to the rear hitch. Have considered some quick connects that would give me the ability to move it front to rear as needed but then i would be carrying the winch around in the tool box or something and that just increases the chances of it getting messed up\damaged when not in use.</P>

We used a winch last year in the rear receiver hitchelk hunting to winch a bull elk into the back ofmy unclesRTV. Sure would be nice to have the ability to move the winch from front to rear without a bunch of hassle with wiring and such.. In the mean time My winch is out in the shop waiting for me to make up my mind.!</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
This is where I installed mine ~~~ </P>

I know it's upside down, but mine was like yours, designed for a handle bar or something of that nature. So, the support bracket, ( see screw above switch ) would fall into the bottom curve of the dash. Had to flip it ....It being I was the only one that was going to use it, and being I am the one who installed it. I know how to read upside down, at least two words.WORKED OUT PERFECT !!!!</P>

Post us a picture ofyour switch, let us take a look atit ~~~~~</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>
<CENTER></CENTER>

jdh1

EZ Chair, I have a wireless Ramsey winch on my RTV and I really like the option of being able to stand to the side and watch whats going on. I don't care to be in the RTV if i'm stuck because it's usually some off camber spot and i'm bellied out. No need for both me and the RTV to get hurt. Also even though I just switched to synthetic rope I don;t like to be in the " line of fire". Since you get the dashboard switch you can use that too if you like. One thing,on mine anyway, there is a slight delay both in and out with the wireless remote which takes some getting used to, hope this helps with your decision, jdh1

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Whatever winch you use or method of use, please use caution >>>></P>

http://compacttractorreview.com/cs/forums/thread/11621.aspx</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What needs to be asked is how you plan on using your winch.

Is its primary purpose to drag the RTV out of something or to drag something to the RTV?

If the former, going wired would probably be fine since, like Jamie, you'll probably want to be in the seat. If the latter (e.g. dragging logs to the RTV), you'll find it easier if you're with whatever is being dragged to guide it and therefore the wireless is handy.

Another option is to get the wired remote. It's wired to the RTV but has probably 12-15' of cable to a wired remote.