Tail Gate Crush Problem

I think this one needs to be posted in plain view!!!</P>

Posted in one of the forums about building a bumper for the RTVis a note postedby Messick Farm Equipmentn that you cancrush the tailgate by raising the bed with a receiver hitch attached. I would never have thought of that and since you are inside the cab when you raise the bed you would not see it was going to happen.</P>

Thank you for bringing that to a new RTV owners attention you may have saved me some money.</P>

Nolefan

I believe that it is only a concern if you have the tailgate in the down position or if your ball hitch rises upquite abit from the receiver. I know that the ball hitch I use is approximately a 2" rise and as long as the tailgate is up it doesn't make contact with the ball hitch when ever I raise the bed.

By up do you mean with the cables holding the gate? you would have to open the gate to dump. Maybe they had the wires that hold the tailgate disconected?

Nolefan

No, I mean up by the tailgate being in the closed position. If the tailgate is down then you do run the risk of hitting it on the ball hitch!

KitC

But, on a brighter side, it only happens once...my wife found out the hard way. Made a nice dimple on the tailgate, but since then, it's been no problem..:)

<FONT color=#0000ff>I think it can only occur whenthe tailgate is hanging all the way down. It is one of those things you don't think about until you hear the crunch!</FONT>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
the bumper is comin trust me i got it figured out. i just got a few orders to get out and i will have a demo model for twoguns to showoff to ya'll. but there will be a bumper for the rtv!!! there is a crushing factor to think about but i have figured it out i just need to make it .lol

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
this is the plate bender we just got through makin so we can bend plate. lol it's 29" wide but we can only bend plates up to 24" and 1/4 thickwe still need to put some gusetts in the angle irons but it's workin good right now.total cost was 43.00 lol i used som old trampoline springs to help pull the jack back up and they work great.</P>

1005174is7.jpg
</P>

1005171vo5.jpg
</P>

1005179ez3.jpg
</P>

Deerlope

No to many years ago I use to buy angle iron that had a true 90 degree on the inside. Not a radius like you have in the pic's. I think the true 90 stuff would gie a tighter bend.

Tommy,</P>
<P style="__styleDocument: [object]">You DA MAN......[:D]</P>
<P style="__styleDocument: [object]">Two Guns he DA SALESMAN......[:)]</P>

</P>

Rusty Anvil,,,</P>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
yea it all started with "twoguns" i really can't thank him enough for the help he's givin me .

G

[quote user="Nolefan"]I believe that it is only a concern if you have the tailgate in the down position or if your ball hitch rises upquite abit from the receiver. I know that the ball hitch I use is approximately a 2" rise and as long as the tailgate is up it doesn't make contact with the ball hitch when ever I raise the bed.[/quote]</P>

</P>

Yea, for this to happen the cables need to be unhooked and the tail gate hanging stragiht down. </P>

grapeman

Several months agoI posted a picture of what can happen if you raise rtv body with tailgate cables cables unhooked. Do a search in this forum for "cable unhooked".</P>

Grapeman</P>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i did a few aluminum plates with a true 90 degree angle but every so often i would end up with a split on the end. to get a true 90 degree if i needed i put a 1"flatbar on each side of the bottom angle and it allows the top angle to drop furthur into it makin a true 90. i'll post a picture of the shims i made.</P>

</P>

[quote user="Deerlope"]No to many years ago I use to buy angle iron that had a true 90 degree on the inside. Not a radius like you have in the pic's. I think the true 90 stuff would gie a tighter bend.[/quote]</P>