Still kicking the tires on a mini track loader

Smilingreen

My son-in-law has been bringing home different track loaders this fall. The first one he brought home was a CAT 289D3 with high flow. It had a mulching head on it. Well, in 48 hours that weekend, I put 19 hours on it cleaning up some of my woods paths and some of the forest floor. The 289D3 had a 74.4 HP turbo diesel on it. I liked it. Fuel consumption wasn't bad, the operator cab was surprisingly quiet, even while mulching 8" diameter trees.

This weekend, he brought home a Cat 299D3 track loader and a CAT 307.5 excavator. Ran both all this weekend moving dirt, rocks, cleaning up ditch lines and even dug a test pilot hole for possibly an additional pond here on the farm. Had very nice clay down to 5', which I ran into limestone @ 5'. The CAT 299D3 was a beast of a machine. 110 HP CAT turbo diesel. It seemed to be a lot thirstier than the 289D3 is. Moving rock and dirt piles that have been sitting and settling in a fence row for 8 years was no challenge for the 299D3. Childs play.

The CAT 307.5 excavator has a 57.7 HP CAT turbo diesel in it. We had a 36" tooth bucket on it and it did a fairly good job of digging through our hardpan clay and limestone. I have ran a few CAT 308 excavators before and the reduction of HP in the 307.5 was hardly noticeable.

So, in running different CAT equipment around the farm, I am starting to lean towards the CAT 289D3. It doesn't require DEF, it is fairly fuel efficient and has enough power to handle a High Flow brush cutter, a grapple, has heat and air, sound deadening cab and it weighs in at 10,700lbs. I can easily pull that around on a trailer with my F250 gasser.

I have rented many different brands of track loaders through the years, from Kubota, John Deere, Case and ASV. All of them are good machines, but the CAT has caught my attention. I won't be buying new. I will be shopping for machines with 2k to 3k hours on them, that have been well maintained. That machine should outlast me.

IMG_1117.JPG
289D3 with mulching head

Screenshot 2024-10-06 at 9.34.12 PM.png
My 11 year old grand daughter running the 299D3.

IMG_1244.JPG
307.5 excavator parked at the house for lunch break.

Screenshot 2024-10-06 at 9.44.17 PM.png

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I use a 262D3 wheeled skid steer here on the farm and it's great. The back up camera has me spoiled though. I use it with hyd auger to "dig" post holes, drive T posts with the hyd post driver and of course load the feed wagons in the cold months with the bucket. Cat equipment = good stuff .
Our feed is so dusty that we added one of the optional dust" turbines" on the air intake. It saves filters big time. The biggest pain are the magnetic safety switches. It won't start if one goes bad. Yea..... you can break a door if one is disabled and then, if the door is opened and the joy sticks are touched.. don't ask how i know..... by the way... door glass is discounted on the e bay place... and fit perfectly.

Last edited:

Smilingreen

Seeing that I will be using a brush cutter with it, I am getting one with a Polycarbonate door. All of the Mini track loaders I have used that have a enclosed cab all have had polycarbonate doors. I know they can scratch, but I would rather have a scratch than a lap full of safety glass when the door gets popped a good one with flying debris.