Snow plow

JoeG

I have just entered the world of a 2013 RTV 900xt. Went to a sale where an older couple was moving into town from the country, and there selling everything on their 10 acre horse farm. The RTV has always been garaged, and has well maintained. It had a complete dealer maintenance at 552 hours, and I purchased it with only 612 hours. I'm interested in installing a snow plow to take care of my drive and timber trails. The RTV has hydraulic dump so I would want to use this hydraulic function in the plow operation. So I'm asking from the forum for manufacturer suggestions and ideas. I'm familiar with Kubota equipment as I have a Z422 and a B2650. Have a quick hitch front blade for the B2650, but not really happy with it for snow removal, as the loader puts to much weight on the blade when in float mod. Ideas will be appreciated. Thanks for your time. I really like my new "toy".

Attachments

• IMG_7161.JPG
    IMG_7161.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 12

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't have or need a blade. Not much snow here. But many love the Boss V blade.
Here is a link to a thread on the blade:

Bigorangething

Boss V. Moves a ton of snow. Six to eight inches no problem, you can stack almost 6 feet tall with it too. I've had mine for six years and had zero problems with it. Quick hitch is super nice, takes less than 5 minutes to put it on or take it off.

ItBmine

When I bought my RTV 1100, I first priced the Kubota vee plow. Here in Canada it was insane. Not sure if this is all the same case in USD but I then priced the Kubota straight blade. It was $7000 Canadian. Then I priced a Boss 6.2 vee plow and it was only $5300 installed.
So, at least here in Canada, it was the far cheapest option.
It is the same as the pickup truck plows, it uses an electric pump to power the hydraulics. But they work great and are reliable.

And as the others have said here, it comes off then back on very easily and has no effect on summer ground clearance.
Other than with me, because I have a receiver hitch mounted winch, I have to remove one bar (4 bolts I think) You'd still be able to use a trailer hitch in front, but my winch hits that bar before I can get it in far enough to put the pin in the receiver.

Just for another comparison, I priced the Kubota K-Connect and front snowblower and it came out to $24,000!!!! where I am in Canada.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
The Boss V-Plow works extremely well. The hydraulics are quick and powerful. As Bigorangething said “ it can stack snow 6 feet high” and in my 8 years of plowing my 2 miles of dirt roads I’ve never not been able to plow. With a set of chains on the rear wheels the Kubota is a bulldozer.

ItBmine

Well since we're on subject of Boss plows, I decided to go ahead and put mine on today. I'd rather take it back off on a nice day to go trail riding, than to put it on when I wake up and it's minus 40. LOL

I included a couple old pics to show what everyone is talking about when they say you can pile high with them.

Attachments

• 20231023_133409 (Medium).jpg
    20231023_133409 (Medium).jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210826_194727 (Large).jpg
    20210826_194727 (Large).jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210826_194715 (Large).jpg
    20210826_194715 (Large).jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 20

Plumcrazy814

Here is a link to a thread on the blade:
In the referenced link, the discussion includes welding some tubing to the blade so that it doesn't dig into a gravel drive. Because this thread is more recent, rather than asking in that one, I am asking here in hopes of getting better response. I'm getting an 1100C in a few weeks and considering adding a Boss V plow. I can get by with the blade on my JD2305 but really like how well the 1100 with the Boss V gives more flexibility to adjusting the blade. I attach a sacrificial strip of rubber stall mat to the Deere's blade (I drilled holes and bolt it on to the replaceable edge on the plow) so that I can clear snow off of grass for a dog run. It works well without tearing up the grass and also for not churning up my gravel drive. Has anyone heard of anyone doing something like that with the Boss V? If so, any discussion on how well it works?

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I love the Boss V Plow but have not attached a pipe to the cutting edge. I do place a 1.5 inch PVC pipe to the cutting edge of my rear blade on my B7800 and it is perfect for soft road clearing up when the dirt can easily be turned up. Not sure how it would work on the V plow. Good luck. You’ll love

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I attach a sacrificial strip of rubber stall mat to the Deere's blade (I drilled holes and bolt it on to the replaceable edge on the plow) so that I can clear snow off of grass for a dog run. It works well without tearing up the grass and also for not churning up my gravel drive. Has anyone heard of anyone doing something like that with the Boss V? If so, any discussion on how well it works?
I did the rubber stall mat piece on the rear blade of my JD tractor as well. I didn't like it AT ALL. Because it was a medium duty 6' blade off the 3PH, it wasn't heavy. The stall mat edge just floated above the driveway. Yea, it can make trails through the lawn but to clear a driveway down to pavement, it just didn't work for me.

Plumcrazy814

... but to clear a driveway down to pavement, it just didn't work for me.

Mine is a 54" front blade. As you can see, the rubber mat does take a beating. This year it took some extra because I used the plow to move some limestone around in the Spring. I have no experience with using it on pavement except when I'm at the drive to road transition at the end of the drive so no idea how well it would really work. I do run it on my back porch sometimes which is concrete and at ground level. It does ok there but that never gets really deep and it's only about 10 feet wide, 54 feet long and usually only covered about 2 feet along the edge at the most.

IMG_0391.jpg
IMG_0392.jpg

seery

I love the Boss V Plow but have not attached a pipe to the cutting edge. I do place a 1.5 inch PVC pipe to the cutting edge of my rear blade on my B7800 and it is perfect for soft road clearing up when the dirt can easily be turned up. Not sure how it would work on the V plow. Good luck. You’ll love
The PVC pipe sounds like a great idea on a rear blade. Any chance for a pic and/or description on how I’d go about installing it?

ItBmine

I just have the adjustable Boss skid shoes on mine. I don't dig up any gravel but they do leave three imprints in the surface.

I got an email from Boss and they have some new thing to prevent digging up gravel, I forget what it was, but when I looked at the price I was like NO THANKS!!! LOL

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
The PVC pipe sounds like a great idea on a rear blade. Any chance for a pic and/or description on how I’d go about installing it?
I miss stated the size of PVC pipe I used. I just looked at it and it is 2 inch. As you can see from the pictures, I cut a slot of the pipe and it sits in the blade. I have not yet installed it for this winter (I use it primarily in the spring when the snow is melting and the road gets soft and I need to remove a few inches of slush or soft snow). I'll keep the rear blade as is now so that I can scrape ice and snow off the road as long as the road is firm. The pipe gets held in place by the flange and bolts that hold the blade to the vertical pivot mechanism. I have been really pleased with how well it works and holds up. I am sure a metal pipe will work even better. I have a 5 foot railroad rail attached on top of the blade for extra weight.

Attachments

• IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 6

seery

I miss stated the size of PVC pipe I used. I just looked at it and it is 2 inch. As you can see from the pictures, I cut a slot of the pipe and it sits in the blade. I have not yet installed it for this winter (I use it primarily in the spring when the snow is melting and the road gets soft and I need to remove a few inches of slush or soft snow). I'll keep the rear blade as is now so that I can scrape ice and snow off the road as long as the road is firm. The pipe gets held in place by the flange and bolts that hold the blade to the vertical pivot mechanism. I have been really pleased with how well it works and holds up. I am sure a metal pipe will work even better. I have a 5 foot railroad rail attached on top of the blade for extra weight.
Excellent information. Very much appreciated!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
@Plumcrazy814
I see in your profile that we're in the same area.
I have a piece of rubber for your blade you can have if you want it. Pics below.
I'm about 40 miles north of Pitt

Attachments

• Resized_20231119_161057.jpeg
    Resized_20231119_161057.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • Resized_20231119_161153.jpeg
    Resized_20231119_161153.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • Resized_20231119_161109.jpeg
    Resized_20231119_161109.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 7

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
@Plumcrazy814
I see in your profile that we're in the same area.
I have a piece of rubber for your blade you can have if you want it. Pics below.
I'm about 40 miles north of Pitt
Hello bczoom, this is very generous of you! Thank you for the offer. I, however, find the pipe method to be working really well and don't anticipate trying a rubber edge. I have almost 2 miles of driveway/road that I keep plowed and I think a rubber edge would wear out really fast. I did consider using a piece of left-over piece of stall mat before using the pipe. Enjoy the snow that will be coming in on Tuesday evening! Thanks again for your offer.

Plumcrazy814

Thanks, bczoom - I have most of an entire mat left. I just have to find the time to cut it again to replace what I have for this season.