RTV-x1120 keyed power location?

nutsmith

Hi, first post from a new (as of this week) Kubota owner. I've searched the forum and the internet for an answer to a question that's stumping me but can't seem to find it. I'm installing a new Superatv winch and need to connect a red wire coming from the solenoid rocker switch cable to a keyed power source. I'm pretty new to electrical, but have used a multimeter on all the obvious male and female connectors under the hood and can't find it. It's the second-to-last step in this install and it's driving me nuts. Anybody know the answer? Thanks!

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new RTV!
Myself, I'm pretty sure I didn't use a keyed power source. For me, there's times where I want to run the winch but don't really want/need the key to be on or the engine running.

nutsmith

Thank you! I’ve wanted one for a long time, so it’s great to finally have it. So if I don’t use the keyed power, what do I do with that connection? And if I do, do you know where to find the keyed power wire on the Kubota?

Smilingreen

Thank you! I’ve wanted one for a long time, so it’s great to finally have it. So if I don’t use the keyed power, what do I do with that connection? And if I do, do you know where to find the keyed power wire on the Kubota?
Find a WSM for your model RTV. It should have a electrical schematic that will show you all circuitry.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not sure which model winch you bought but I'm using this PDF, page 10 as a guide.

It's up to you whether you used a switched or non-switched source for the red wire. Manual says switched so you should probably go that route.
I don't know what year or model RTV you have but, with your voltmeter, check the wires at the ignition switch. If you see an orange wire there, check that one first. For switched, you're looking for a wire that has 12V with the key on (not start) and 0V with the key off.
Do you have a 12V (cigarette lighter) socket on your dash? If so, you could probably get power there. Don't recall if that circuit is switched or not.

tfdr1

I'm not sure about the X1120 but on the X900 and X1100 there's a switched power lead on the firewall under the hood towards the center with bullet style connectors. I want to say they are black/green but not 100%.

Dave

nutsmith

Aah, great, thanks. I’m away this weekend, but seem to remember seeing those. This’ll probably be a very dumb question, but I connect those two leads to make the circuit, then splice in the rocker switch wire with a three-way? Really haven’t done this sort of electrical before so don’t want to screw it up.

tfdr1

One is positive and the other is negative. These are the ones on my X1100. I think for your situation you just need a positive that is switched with the ignition so the winch doesn't operate without the engine running or ignition switch in the on position.

Dave

Attachments

• 17069015292544672189582122058591.jpg
    17069015292544672189582122058591.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13

nutsmith

One is positive and the other is negative. These are the ones on my X1100. I think for your situation you just need a positive that is switched with the ignition so the winch doesn't operate without the engine running or ignition switch in the on position.

Dave
That was the ticket! All wired up now and works great. Many thanks to all who replied here. What a great forum.