RTV X1100C front cv joint broke

JasonN

I have a 2018 RTV X1100C with about 300 hours on it and the front CV joint snapped. I'm surprised it failed so quickly with the only hard use is plowing snow. I see on youtube there are some videos on the older RTV 900's that require three bolts to be removed at the front differential. The X1100C doesn't have these bolts and it looks like the axle just pulls out once removed from the hub.

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks

tfdr1

I have a 2018 RTV X1100C with about 300 hours on it and the front CV joint snapped. I'm surprised it failed so quickly with the only hard use is plowing snow. I see on youtube there are some videos on the older RTV 900's that require three bolts to be removed at the front differential. The X1100C doesn't have these bolts and it looks like the axle just pulls out once removed from the hub.

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks

The parts diagram shows a clip that might be holding it in.

Attachments

• m1025-1025_G11600.png
    m1025-1025_G11600.png
    802.5 KB · Views: 25

tfdr1

Here's the parts list

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220210-132847_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220210-132847_Chrome.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 8

JasonN

Thank you. I saw that clip when I ordered the shaft. I can't see how you would remove that clip. I'm thinking that you just pull/pry the end out of the differential and the clip compresses. Surely you don't have to split the case to change the axle. There are a ton of aftermarket axles out there for these so I'm guessing this is a common failure.

JasonN

I replaced the front CV joint and can confirm that it just pulls out of front diff. I had to remove the upper and lower ball joint mounts to get the axle in.