RTV 900 Winch Questions.....

pappy19

I am about to splurge for a winch for my 900. Which winch is the best in your opinion. Is it electric or hydraulic? If it is electric, I assume the engine must be running to use it or the battery will die very much use. Is the extra weight on the front end with the winch mean the need for larger springs, lift kit or different shocks? Anything else that I should know or be aware regarding winches? Thanks in advance.

jdh1

Hi pappy19, I have a 2006 rtv with a Ramsey #3000 wireless remote winch. I have'nt used it a real lot but it has worked well. I pulled myself out of a frozen and snow covered stream last winter when I couldn't get enough traction. It had no trouble moving the rtv even though it was uphill. I have also moved several blown down trees with it easily. I really like the wireless option since you don't have to ride on the rtv to get the job done, you can stay out of line with the cable in case it breaks. I'm probably going to buy a synthetic rope soon for the safety factor. The Ramsey mounted very easily in the front using the holes that are already on the rtv. As far as the weight goes the winch only weighs 15 lbs. so it is not an issue. I really haven't noticed any difference using it with the engine running or not but I haven't used it for more than a few minutes at a time.I have the original battery but some people are upgrading theirs when they add a lot of extras, lights, etc. Overall i'm very happy with the Ramsey and would recommend it. jdh1

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Go ahead and make that splurge.... Electric & yes, you should leave your engine running for use ....</P>

As far as extra weight, the Kubota will never know it's on there !!!! No need for larger springs, lift kit, or different shocks. You don't have to worry about that ~~~~ </P>

Now, this is myexperience,I cannot tell you how many winches in thirty plus years that I have purchased, just about every make, model and pulling strength made. I use them on the farms, plantations, business, & deer management . NOW, the only winches I buy, and have been buying these now for about seven years, is Ramsey, they are tuff, strong, and I personally have never had any problems with them at all. Ramsey is a slower winch, but to me, it has more power. LikeALL winches, even if you don't use them for a little while, you need to spool off the cable, and spool it back on, just to move the gears and work the switches to keep things in working order. Warn also makes a good winch, but in my opinion, It don't hold up and good and I have had trouble with them several times before. Also, if you are going to purchase a winch, need to get youself a snatch block to use with it. It doubles your pulling powers, and is worth it's weight in gold.......Everybody's is going to have a opinion on the subject on winches, this is just mine. I use a winch about three to seven times a week on the plantations & farms !!!! I myself, have a 3000 lb. Ramsey on my RTV & use a snatch block when needed for really heavy work ~~~~~ I found my best price at </P>

allterrainonline.com</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK, I'll pile on and say the Ramsey 3000 is probably your best bet. The Warn is a very close second.
As already mentioned, the wireless remote is very handy.
A couple other points.
Both the Ramsey and Warn fit in that compartment but it's a tight fit. Although I can reach it, getting in there to use the lever for free-spool is a bit tight.
If/as I recall, to mount the fairlead, you'll need to buy 2 bolts as they may not be included in the kit. These are the 2 bolts that mount in the pre-existing holes in the front grill guard. They'll be the same diameter as the bolts used to mount the grill guard (although I think I went 1/4" longer). They are metric so take an existing grill guard bolt to match the size.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I went ahead and installed the winch mount, just to make it better for when I do need it in the mud. Didn't want to be knee deep in the swamps and have to search for the winch in the compartements. Both ways of installation is great. Just whatever a operator wants / needs ~~</P>

It's just how a person want to install it, some people don't like the winch sticking out a little. If that's the case, don't intall the mounting plates. I also installed a hitch with a chackle on it to hook the winch hook on while not in use, and also gives me something to tie up on in the front if needs be ......</P>

G

TWO GUNS. You are talking about a snatch block in your post. I am not sure what this is...could you please explain.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
It's a pully with a hook , or some come with a shacle, it doubles your pulling stength ~~~ Run your cable threw it and return the cable to your RTV, in my case, I hook it back to the shackle I have on my front reciever. Put the snatch block on the tree or post , or where ever you want to secure it.</P>

One doen't have to be as big as the one in the picture. They make so many different sizes. I keep a 4000 lb, or a 8000 lb. with me all the time. Both work just as good. Also, I keep a Synthetic Lifting Sling with me, so when I need to use the snatch block with the winch, I just throw the sling around something stable. hook the block to it, run my cable threw the block, then run cable back to RTV or four-wheeler, what ever I am in . And do my thing. It's just that easy. I can be out and ready to go as fast as I typed this note !!!!!!!</P>

I purchase some of my snatch blocks & slings from:</P>

truckntow.com</P>

But alot of equipment, tractor, and hardware stores will carry 'em both ~~~~~</P>

</P>

pappy19

Thanks for all of the information. Looks like a Ramsey 3000 with remote for me. Appreciate all of the great pictures and comments.

pappy19

I actually wound up buying the Ramsey 5000 insread of the 3000. I also bought the "winch saver", as it looked like a good idea. The 5000 is a much more HD winch in case I get"Bo" stuck and it has 65' of cable. It was more money of course, but for the same $$ I could have bought a Warn 4000, so I figured it gained me 1000 lbs more pull. Hope to get it on next week if it arrives this week. Will post pics then.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pappy,

For the 5000, you're going to need an external mount. It's too big to fit in the little cubby hole behind the grill.

2-Guns - Do you know if your external mount is also setup for the Ramsey 5000?

Brian

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Bczoom,</P>

You are right about the external mount for the 5000 pounder >>>>> Gotta have It ---</P>

Mine is a 3000#</P>

I really don't know if the one I purchased will fit >>>>> But, all they have to do is call Amanda at this number >>>. 1-877-896-7565 , she can tell you in a heartbeat..... She had all my answers !!!</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK, thanks TWO GUNS.

Pappy,

An important thing to note on an external mount. I would not recommend one that goes in the front receiver. That receiver isn't strong enough to take the forces generated by pulling with the winch (especially a 5000#). Notice the mounting on 2-guns setup. It's mounted to the frame over the grill guard. You'll want something like that.

outlaw 1100

i got a warn 4000 on my 1100 its mounted in the hitch reciever with quick connect to transfer to the back if needed.this weekend at the farm the i stuck it in a sand bottom creek next to the bank.the bank was about 12 feet tall with the first 3 feet straight up and the ret a preety good slope.the warn never grunted once.it looked like i had my kubota m105x yanking it out.</P>

vasellers

Newbie here, new RTV 900, installing Ramsey #3000, how did you run the battery cables from the solenoid to the battery? Just want to do a clean install and not have the cables dangle under the body. Thanks in advance

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new RTV.

It's been awhile but I believe I ran mine right beside the wiring harness. I haven't had any issues with cables dangling or otherwise getting damaged.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I, like bczoom, ran mine right beside the wire harness, took up the slack on the front. I use many big zip-ties all up and down the cable to secure it good. </P>

I put my silinoid in the well under the hood, the one that has the access cover on it. Right there is where I took all my slack up and coiled it up nice. In there you have room to work ....</P>

vasellers

Yet another dumb question (the RTV is at another location so I can't go out and look at it) Where does the harness run? I've been under the RTV but don't remember seeing it from underneath. Is it enclosed in a channel?

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Just follow the other wires & cablesgoing under the cab, should be on drivers side. It's been awhile, but don't think it is enclosed in a channel. Then follow 'em up to under the hood. You will have no trouble, you will do fine. Be sure to " zip-tie" every few inches . Might have a few cable clamps (rings) you can go threw that will help support your installation....... I myself, before installation on my wires, I covered my wires all up with that blackflexable cable protector tubing before I ran them.You can pick that up at any auto parts store ....