RTV 1100 HOT BED

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I have an 1100 RTV with Mattracks on it to use to bring supplies into our store once or twice a week. I have to travel about 10 miles on a groomed trail. I go from 5,500 feet to 8,200 feet and back down to 7,600 once I reach town. On the flat or down hill the RTV runs great, but with any hill or deeper snow it really bogs down and smokes. It seems like I should have more torque since to speed with tires is 25mph. I use the hand throttle for the entire trip wide open. However by the time I get out or into town my bed is very hot. Yesterday when I left town with the RTV empty I had 8 inches of snow in the bed, after 10 miles all the snow was melted and the bed surface was 165 degrees while it was 28 degrees and snowing. Does anyone have this problem? I want to put my dogs in the bed this spring when we explore but right now it is too hot. I know we are working the RTV pretty hard with the tracks and snow, but I don’t pull a drag or anything like that just a couple of coolers and cases of supplies.</P>

Deerlope

You may need at turbo at altitudes like 8200 feet. You just can not get enough air in it without a turbo to completely burn all the fuel to get the max power.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Nope doggman,</P>

It's not a dumb question, that's something that needs to be known.....</P>

Steven, how does your temp guage read on your engine when this is all going on ?</P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2> </FONT><FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=5>Two Guns </FONT></P>

</P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">The temperature gauge only goes up about 1/4 way from the bottom not even half.</P>

You might check your spark arrestor if you have not removed it yet. Back pressure can cause the overheating in the muffler and the black smoke, Do noy know how many hours you have on the machine.

doggman

Steve, you said you have a supercharger on your RTV. Is it actually a supercharger (mechanically driven) or is it a turbocharger (exhaust driven)? </P>

Turbos throw a lot of heat off their plumbing and off the compressor, too. However, with a turbo you shouldn't be "blackstacking" at your altitude. In fact it should run cleaner as you gain altitude due to less ambient atomspheric pressure which lets the turbo really come into its own. </P>

</P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">We pulled the spark arrestor out first thing. We tried a super charger, driven by belt because it was to produce more hp then a turbo and be a little easier to set up, but it didn’t work any better than stock so we put the unit back to stock. With or without the super charger the bed was still getting very hot. My dealer called Kubota about the problem but no word back yet.</P>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
my guess is you said it happend when the snow gets deep so to me i would think that it's probably ehauts gasses being bullt up under the bed and not being able to escape due to the extra snow around the vehical. sorta like a iglo affect. does it get hot just running around in the open areas ?

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">When we took the temp reading on the bed, I came out of town and had about 3.5 miles down hill then a mile or so on hard pack snow around 5,000 feet. I bet it was a lot hotter when I climbed out of town and the snow was heaver. I am going to purchase a thermo gun so I can get better readings, but I am going to wait to see what Kubota says. I just wondered if anyone else was getting the heat that I am. Thanks to everyone for there input!!!!</P>

milkman

I know when I'm working my BX, the hydro unit gets pretty hot, and the RTV hydro unit sets right under the bed. I'd bet that with the tracks and running it hard, the heat is coming from the hydro unit, when it gets hot, raise the bed and check out the hydro, I'd bet you will find that it is way hottter than the bed is.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
[*-)] I will bet you, when it's all said and done, it's going to be a fuel mixture problem causing all this.</P>

For in your statements, talking about the machine smoking like it does, shows it's getting to much fuel for the air that you have. On another note, it going to have to take a professional mechanic to set thatfuel mixtureproper, just any 'ole jack-leg, or just any 'ole machanic can do it. Itgoing to take someone with some know-how anddiagnostic computer & know how !! And they need to set it at your altitude !!!!</P>

Your machine is indefinitely getting to much fuel for the air >>>> Just something like just pulling the choke out on a gas burner while it's running !</P>

Something else to think about , you don't want to burnyour pistons up running to much fuel like you are !!! This is just my opinion Steve >>>>>>></P>

<FONT face=Arial size=2> </FONT><FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=5>Two Guns </FONT></P>

[*-)]</P>

</P>

</P>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT></DIV>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Yes you are right the trans is much hotter, around 265 degrees at the surface on the top of the transmission case. My dealer gave the heat numbers to Kubota Friday so we will see what they have to say this week.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Does your bed get too hot to hold your hand on it?</P>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Check out this video we made back at Christmas time. This is about the most snow I had to push through all season but one other time. The RTV doesn’t seem to be working too hard here. This video is on the flats about 8,200 feet in M range. Once we start heading down I can switch to H range but soon as I hit just the slightest hill my speed cuts in half and I have to let off the pedal about half with the throttle locked in full position or she will starting bogging down and smoking. With the cold temps and snow you wouldn’t think it would get so hot.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT color=#800080>http://www.cookecitysinclair.com/movie12-24.wmv</FONT></P>

milkman

[quote user="ccsinclair"]<o:p></o:p>Does your bed get too hot to hold your hand on it?[/quote]

If the question was for me, I don't have an RTV, my BX is a tractor with a hydro, and plowing or discing works it pretty hard, but it's for less than an hour at a time and it's in the warmer weather. It sure gets too hot to leave my hand on, just got a digital temp gun, will check it out the next time I work it .

doggman

265 degrees seems really hot for the trans. It seems like something is really putting a load on your trans and, consequently, your engine. Kind of like driving with the brakes on. </P>

I'd be interested to know how freely your tracksspin in neutral if you jacked up the RTV and got all the tracks off the ground. Failing that, will it roll down a slope in neutral? On a RTV 900 w/tires it is relatively easy to roll the vehicle on level ground while in neutral. </P>

</P>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
you have a good point there . but ain't the track geared down so that would cause some restrictions on the moving . and maybe another question are these tracks made for the long runs you make with them do you need to lube them up ? and if so have you been lubeing them up ? the bearings could be siezing up on them from lack of grease from the long runs to town.

G

Somthing is defentialy not right....it really takes alot to heat that big transmission. </P>