Rear u joint is out

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Rear u joint is out

<P mce_keep="true">[:'(]O.K. friends it has happened to me . I hear this clicking noise coming from the rear left wheel area. I take the wheel off and rock the hub andalso inspect the area behind the seal. I find some dry,powderly rust and some wear on the splines like under the seal but not the hub. Then I rock the hub again and see that the u joint is about shot . I was unable to find the recentpost on how difficult it is to do this yourself. I have done simple projects but am not sureabout this.I have replaced wheel bearings in bush hogs and planters and such as that.{besides the driveshaftsand bearing on this RTV.}I have been spraying like crazy and now have 2024 hrs on old Hoss. I would take this in if I needed to but the trailer I use has seed on it and I have better uses for that economic incentive money .{Don't we all}!! I assume it would be goodto replace both sides at the same time. If I do this myself, I will spend what I save on a shop manual since I am getting so many hrs on my rig, but for now I am at the mercy of fellow forum members for help. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks again, Bordercollie[&]</P>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
Re: Rear u joint is out

<P mce_keep="true">it's always a good choice to get a shop manual on it anyways it will pay for itself down the roan anyway.how much is the labor costand gas to tow it to the dealer .i would get tha shop manual and try to tackle it yourself first . if allelse fails just load up what you have done to it and bring it in if you have it takin down already when you bring it in thats less labor cost for them to add on "maybe"</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

Hi Friends, Thanks for all of the suggestions. I saw a lot of slack in the other side as well so am sure that I will replace it .I called the parts place and according to them a new [1] assembly is $272 plus shipping.Yea that is each side. The u joints are 85$ a side..but if there is wear {probably is they guess}, then new ones won't last long. Then if I hire it done, they say to add 6 hrs at $65 hr. I was suprised by that time frame.If this isn't too big a deal and doesn't require unusual tools then I will do this myself since my labor is cheap.I will keep all informed about my decision . I don't want to spend when all said and done $1000. But then again, I want it right.Also , thanks to JD for your help. I am having big time trouble with my email and http sites loading and when they finally do, responding. Bordercollie

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">Bordercollie,</P>
<P mce_keep="true"> You were calling your source " parts place " , were you talking about your dealer ? What were you calling a assembly. The whole shaft assembly already made-up ? Reason for asking, never done it, and really haven't looked into our Workshop Manual on that section >>>>>> YET !!!</P>
<P mce_keep="true"> I know, without a doubt, if you can work on tractors, bush-hogs, farming equipment, and all the chores about the farm, you sure can tackle this. Just take your time. Of course, once you get one side done, the other side should be a easy extraction / install !!! Have all the faith in the world in you !!! [;)]</P>
<P mce_keep="true"><FONT size=4><FONT color=#ff0000> <FONT face=JohnHancock>~~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></FONT></FONT></P>
<P mce_keep="true"> </P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">Being your having trouble with your email, I will tell you here, watch for the U.S.Mail man tomorrow ( Wednesday )., he's got something for you !!!</P>
<P mce_keep="true"><FONT size=4><FONT color=#ff0000> <FONT face=JohnHancock>~~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></FONT></FONT></P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

Two Guns, I checked with the local dealer. The price was for the entire assembly and I assume it was all ready to install at that price but would sure need to clarify that before they were ordered if I went that way.. I am going to take a closer look at the u joints and see if they can be replaced only. $165 sounds a lot better than $550plus.I will take a good pair of glasses though because the other day I couldn't see that well.. I appreciate all of ya'll help and look forward to the package!!. Bordercollie

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">Update: I called my local K dealer today and talked to another person. He told me that just putting in the replacement u joints onboth sideswould run $950. This is nottalking about the entire assembly either.He informed me that this was very involved ..messing with the trans and blah blah blah , any way I am not in a positive mood right now.I would like to know the longivity of the other joints on this machine. I know it has a great engine but these other areas have me concerned. He sort of implied that the front end area may be my next concern.... I walked the show cows to the rye grass today calm and steady they wentand I enjoyed the nicebreeze all the while doing some heavy thinking about what I willneed to do. 2024hrs and up on the rack.[:(] Bordercollie</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

I would have " Monster " vison right now myself, if somebody told me about some $950.00 to have a fix.... Heck, in a earlier thread, you said that the whole assembly was $272.00 per side, plus shipping. Seems like a person would come out better like that. For it seems like the labor end is fixin' to eat you alive. Must take some time, but I feel, if they can do it, you can do it better. Don't think it takes any special tools ..... But we are going to find out !!!</P>

I'm going to contact a man tomorrow, think he's replaced 'em before onhis RTV, and see what he has to say about this situation. I might be wrong, but it not like you are fixin' to overhaul a 4840 John Deere tractor. </P>

Wonder why he put ideas in you head about the front end. He should not do that. If your front end isn't givin' you any trouble, don't worry about that end, take care of the other. If I had to replace a battery in my work truck, I'm not going to start toworry about the brakes going out until they start needing replacement. Get a good night sleep, and let me do some checkin' tomorrow for you !!! No promises, but I can try !!!!</P>

What year did you purchase your unit ?</P>

Have you thought about calling Messicks, they might can give you some information and ideas >>>> . They are some great folks up there !!!!!</P>

<FONT size=4><FONT color=#ff0000> <FONT face=JohnHancock>~~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></FONT></FONT></P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">Hi Two Guns, Thank you for the package. It was great info. I hope I can return the favor someday! I had a private message all ready to send but messed it up. So I will try that later again. I bought my RTV in Feb '05 Thanks again for your efforts . Bordercollie[&]</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

Bordercollie,</P>

You are more than welcome .... [;)]</P>

<FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=4>~~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">BORDERCOLLIE,</P>
<P mce_keep="true"> Have some good news for you that make you feel better. Check your PM box, email, and then contact me !!!!</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">sjcolu,</P>
<P mce_keep="true"> check your email >>>>>>></P>
<P mce_keep="true"> </P>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><FONT size=4><FONT color=#ff0000> <FONT face=JohnHancock>~~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">Okay Friends,Thisis good news!I have found a friend of a friend that is going to help me out on my RTVhere. I am waiting on the u joints ,seals etc. to come in.I found a trustworthyK dealer to get the parts from 30 m to the north. My former dealer "cleaned house"several monthsago andthere are new faces everywhere. I guess this is why I was quoted such a wild price there.This wait is just as well because my back is nowcoming around to normal[ tried to yankout the ZD28's mowing deck] Anyway these parts should be in [maybe] tomorrow.I have never put in this kind of u joint. I am familiar with the outer clip type but now I know how to do these inner clipsand have found a good site with pictures showing this simple process.I will be glad to post the address if anyone would like. I want to thank Two Guns and BCZoom for their "above and beyond the call" to help me.Many thanks Guys!! I will keep everyone informed . Bordercolllie[&]</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Glad to hear all the pieces are coming together for you!!!

Let us know how it goes.</p>

Sorry to hear about your back. I know how that feels.</p>

SmilingFarmer

<P mce_keep="true">Bordercollie,</P>
<P mce_keep="true">I am sorry about your back injury. You mentioned you were trying to pull out your ZD28's mowing deck. If you have a smooth concrete floor, here is an idea for you. 3 Wheel Dolly Casters. They often used for moving furniture. Raise your deck on your mower. Put the four dolly's under the four wheels or four corners of the mowing deck. Lower the deck. Unhook the deck from the machine and roll it out. Your back will thank you!Do a search on ebay for 3 wheel dolly casters. You can get a set of four for under $30 (includes shipping) </P>
<P mce_keep="true">http://cgi.ebay.com/New-3-Wheel-Dolly-Casters-Lot-of-4-Furniture-Movers_W0QQitemZ270231228271QQihZ017QQcategoryZ11704QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem</P>
<P mce_keep="true">Good Luck!</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">Thanks for the advice. I first messed up my back on a very stiff shifting lever on a 4240 years ago. Hot poker feel, and a cracking,pop noise. Couldn't sit, or rollover not even laugh for many many days. I don't want to get that way again for sure.I lift thedeck with a skid steer once I get it out.The parts are slow arriving for the RTV. One good thing about that .. The pups and I have both lost a pound or two from the walking/climbing in and out of the old truck. What a pain to have to open /close doors and it is a lot farther to the ground too.Also lot harder to beat the cows thru the gates . Bordercollie</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true">The Hoss is back!! I do believe Bordercollie Belle[&] is as proud to have the RTV back as I am..Although ,if I knew then what I know now I would have tried this myself. This repair with labor joints seals etc and pick up and delivery came to a fair $470.But what really got me was the fact that this person that was suppose to know what he was doing?( Kubota training )didn't replace the transmission oil that was lost during the job!!. Well just so happens,I thought I better check behind him and there it was n't... Not a bit of oil on the stick!! I drained out the remaining oil and measured it at 1.8 gallons instead off the 2.6 gallons it should be. I didn't move it after thatbutchanged the filters and filled with all fresh UDT. With the way I feel now I do believe I could do this. I hate to think of what would have happened had I not checked behind him.I plan to order a parts/shop manual after I get over this and will have it for such occasions in the future. I want to thank all of you againthat tried to help me and hope that I have the courage to listen next time. Bordercollie p.s. CBE(check behind everyone)</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter

<P mce_keep="true"> Bordercollie,</P>
<P mce_keep="true"> I am so happy for you. Was a thinking 'bout your " HOSS " yesterday and how it was a coming. That was a fair price. I know your one happy person. Cannot imagine not having my RTV . </P>
<P mce_keep="true"> About the " checkin' behind " the mechanic thing, you are perfectly right Must be something in the blood of the mechanics trained at Kubota. When mine was brand new, after getting the RTV out of the crate,whenthey installed the front brush guard, and didn't tighten up the bolts on it. Found that when I was loading it up on the trailer fixin' to leave the dealership. Few weeks later, had to have the new fuel tank installed, they didn't tighten up on the support straps that kept the tank secure. Found that before I left the dealership while checkin out to see how the new cap secured on. I thought to myself, "DAMN, do ya'll ever tighten anything up once you insert the bolts " Had a little talk with my dealer, and he apologized. I told them they were good folks, butya'll scare the hell out of me !!!! But, it is wise to check behind someone who you PAY to do the job.</P>
<P mce_keep="true"> Have a good day Bordercollie, and keep 'em rolling !!!!</P>
<P mce_keep="true"> </P>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2> </FONT></DIV>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Glad to hear you're back in action!!! Very glad you checked your fluids or you could have had much bigger issues...
</p>

For the workshop manual, the best price I've found is from our forum host, Messick's.</p>

Here's a link to the workshop manual. It's $67.73.
</p>

http://www.messicks.com/partdetail/97897-15300.aspx</p>

Not sure if they have it on CD. This appears to be a hardcopy.</p>