Ramdom thoughts on my RTV 900

kas1263

This past Wednesday I bought a 2007, Kubota RTV 900, camo, with .07 hours, from Thompson's in Morehead, Kentucky. It has a glass winshield and a metal top. I got a good price and friendly service. The mechanic when asked ,what advise he had said to read the instruction book. Most of the shop repairs he gets are not repairs but lessons on how to properly operate it. He said even if it isn't the manly thing to do-read the manual.

I've taken it out on the hills here in eastern Kentucky with no major problems. A couple of times I've had shifting problems but that was me not doing it right and not a malfuntion. I went on some very steep and rough roads without a hitch.

I must confess, I do have a problem that I had forgotten about. Now my lab jumps in the bed and the little one rides shot gun. My wife, and the little one, Bandit now fight for the seat. Abby, the Lab has the back to herself and has no dog in the seat fight.

kas1263h @ 5.7 hours

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
THE SEAT MANAGEMENT THING ~~~~~~</P>

IT'S SELF ADJUSTING !!!!!!!!! </P>

We had some of that here, it worked it way on out ~~~~~~~</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="kas1263"]The mechanic when asked ,what advise he had said to read the instruction book. Most of the shop repairs he gets are not repairs but lessons on how to properly operate it. He said even if it isn't the manly thing to do-read the manual.[/quote]
OK, we've all read (or at least glimpsed at) the manual.

After doing that, my preference is the forums. I believe this is where you'll find a lot of other helpful information and driving tips/techniques.

kas, </P>

Welcome. You already made some good moves, ie: you bought your machine and you found this forum. After looking at the manual myself, I now only use it fo do it myself maintenance. The real information comes from this forum. I just check it about once or twice a week and I use my machine about every day, I find that a lot of the topics covered relate to what I have experienced during use. You can use some of the info, disreguard if it doesn't apply to your situation, or chime in if you have a fix for someone else.</P>

I know just what you mean about the kid, wife and dog. I just go to the barn and start it up and see which one shows up first to sit with me! After that it's every critter for theirselves. Good luck.</P>

t </P>

ground hog man

alright another fellow thompson tractor rtv owner i have bought 2 off mr.thompson there service is second to none .and ther deals are great just got done doing my 50 hr service on my 07 worksite with the curtis hard cab if you by the supply off jack he does the service free and thay check ever thing for you.i live in perry county but have a farm in wrigley. great choice you well be able to climb any hill just put her in low 4x4 and take your time. here in perry county i have some of the steeppess hills and deepest mudhole of anyone on the forum and i have no problem.happy trailes

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum ground hog man.

[quote user="ground hog man"]great choice you well be able to climb any hill just put her in low 4x4 and take your time.[/quote]
My preference is to leave it in 2wd unless I'm having traction issues. If your engine isn't trying to turn both axles, it "seems" to have more power. Have you tried the reverse test? Put a 4x4 or 6x6 (or something of similar size) behind your back tires. Now, try to back over it in 4wd. It probably won't be able to climb over it. Try it again in 2wd and it'll climb over it.
For control reasons, I use 4wd going down the hill.

[quote user="ground hog man"]here in
perry county i have some of the steeppess hills and deepest mudhole of
anyone on the forum and i have no problem.happy trailes[/quote]
I have similar terrain in terms of steep but your hills are higher. BTW, how far are you from the U of K? I just got done doing some work for their medical center.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="ground hog man"]about 120 miles from lexington .my terrain has lots of rocks tree roots loose slippery dirt i prefere 4x4[/quote]
OK. I can see 4wd being used/preferred on those conditions.

DigOrange

kas1263,

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you take your RTV off pavement. If that is the case I would suggest getting the high rops air intake. Best investment I made for my RTV. You probably noticed that your air cleaner is almost always dirty if you are in any dust at all. If so - call Neil and he can set you up with the correct one for your RTV. Depending on your cab - 1 mounts to the screen, other mounts to the hard roof leaving the screen open for snapping on the rear poly window. From other discussions on this subject you can get a lot more info. Bottom line - RTV runs better and the High Rops air cleaner is a lot bigger than the stock one.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I AGREE 100% WITH DIG-ORANGE</P>

THAT HIGH AIR INTAKE IS A BIG, BIG PLUS >>>>. AS SOON AS YOU INTALL IT, YOU CAN FELL THE PERFORMANCE CHANGE. AND AS FAR AS THE FILTERS, THEY NEW HIGH ROPS KIT DOESN'T GET DIRTY. I HAVE RUN IN SOME PLACES THAT A PERSON THOUGHT HE WASRUNNNG DOWN REAL LONG BABY POWDER ROADS, AND WHEN I CHECKED THE NEW FILTER SYSTEM, COULDN'T EVEN TELL I HAVE BEEN ANYWHERE !!!!!!!!</P>