Radio reception problems

texrdnec

I get shit AM reception and just OK FM reception

Any antenna or other recommendations?

I've trued the antenna in other places with the same results

I need my talk radio/old country AM channels!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Check your ground on the radio antenna. Does it make different degrees of reception when you touch the RTV? I think it needs to be mounted so that the base of the antenna is well grounded. This same thing happened to me. some of the clamps have a non metal mounting brackets and that along with the heavy paint, won't ground. I also have to have my KLOVE playing.
My antenna is mounted horizontally in this swing down console(for repair) when necessary. I haven't had to do any as of yet.. collie

Attachments

• DSCF4118.JPG
    DSCF4118.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCF4107.JPG
    DSCF4107.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

texrdnec

I've grounded it everywhere and it makes no difference. currently plugged into a factory ground but I've run a wire from it to the frame with no change in reception, it's frustrating

i'm thinking about buying an amplified marine antenna

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I do have a long antenna, much like on an old automobile's, it's just horizontal. My weatherband works fine on it too. I hope you find what you are needing, good luck, life is too short not to have what you enjoy as far as a simple radio to listen too. :)

travisd

There's a good chance that the external antenna isn't even being used for AM reception - AM on most modern vehicle head units now is so marginalized that the antenna/reception is an afterthought, it seems. It's usually a "bar" type, internal to the unit, for AM.

That said -- on older head units, there used to be a 'trim' adjustment for AM reception. A small slotted potentiometer (or perhaps variable capacitor?) reachable from the outside of the unit. You'd dial in an AM station, then adjust this until you get the best reception. You may need a plastic screwdriver for this. I haven't looked at the newest aftermarket radio that I installed to see if this is still the case or not though.