Options other than $1250 glass windshield

P7rancher

I think I want glass, but the Kubota glass is ridiculous expensive.

Make me smarter on X900/X1120 windshield options.

Thanks
Steve

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hi Rancher and welcome. Lot of us have made our own windshields. I guess how they look depends on what you want to spend.
I made one for my 900 (2011 model) really cheap. I used wood and made it to function like an old jeep's window. It uses DJ clamps so it is fast to take off . I reluctantly take it off in the summer to get more air but then the bugs are bad so I actually miss it.
I think you can get aftermarket ones for a fraction of the price you mentioned.
What area do you live in - snow- etc?? bordercollie edit http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16092&highlight=cheap+windshield

P7rancher

Bordercollie thanks for the reply. Not planning any snow use.

I may look at a half window and at $1250 msrp I may need to look at hardened poly. Just worried the poly will get scratches.

Steve

P7rancher

Thanks for the link avantiguy.

What is everyone's opinion on the hardened poly products?

Last edited:

OrangeBuggy

I have a buddy here that owns a glass shop. He made a pattern for the Polaris Ranger so they cut and install tempered glass in them. Maybe a shop where you are can do the same. Also, welcome to the forum.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome aboard.......What kind of conditions will you be going through?....Brush, woods, desert, or what?......It does make a difference for what you choose

Historically folks have made a frame and used shrink plastic, the various poly's, and glass. Each has their own drawbacks. If one uses the poly, folks complain about all the small scratches that cut down vision with direct sunlight and yes when driving through brush one does get a lot of scratches that wont polish out........The shrink stuff has their own set of problems, but golly, the price is really right. Border Collie has a really good solution and you might do a search about that, and really all of these.
For me, glass works just fine; but it does break. Ask my hired hand who drove straight into a branch and it went straight through the glass. Yes, the replacement is just as high dollar as the original; but it cleans up nice, really is resistant to brush and driving through the woods, and is easy to clean without using some kind of polish or rags........

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
in Oklahoma a windshield is important to save your hands from windchill in the winter. my experience is if you go with a poly type and not glass then get Lexan. it won't scratch and will not yellow ant rot from the sun.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mine is a homemade Lexan version. It's over 10 years old and still nice and clear but I don't run it through a bunch of brush. It was cheap when I made it but I think Lexan has gotten really expensive over the years.

Mark.Sibole

I had a write up on here a while back on what I had done.I tried plexiglass not a good option.I had purchased the lexon windshield from Kubots and It was trash IMO as it was easily scratched especially when trying to remove ice in the winder and branches on the trail.Doing a search back in threads you may find the post on my home made windshield.I picked up some 2 inch wide steel at 1/16 inch thick and welded the frame.I then went down to the auto glass shop and had them install tempered auto glass to the frame.I then mounted this all to the roll bar with tech screws.It has neen on the machine for over 4 years with absolutly NO issues and I even fitted an aftermarket jeep willies 12 volt wiper. Cost of steel for frame was 10 bucks cost of glass and runner to hold glass on frame 90 bucks all installed professionally at the glass shop. 4 Tec screws 40 cents Wiper kit not needed was 60. so I had far less than 140 in total cost for a tempered glass windshield like you have on a car. It was stupid simple to make and will last the life time of your machine and will NOT scratch...

Mark.Sibole

Frontlook.JPG

windshield.JPG

windshieldtabs.JPG

Mark.Sibole

Mine is a homemade Lexan version. It's over 10 years old and still nice and clear but I don't run it through a bunch of brush. It was cheap when I made it but I think Lexan has gotten really expensive over the years.

Lexon quadroupled in price.I think gold is cheaper now Zoomie

ovrszd

Nice work Mark. I see nothing wrong with that solution. The durability alone makes it worth many times more than your listed cost. Thanks for the pics.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
i knew lexan was expensive but i was unaware it had gotten so bad.Mark you have the solution. if you have a plasma cutter or know someone who does you can cut a window frame from a piece of sheet metal too. although i like Marks idea just fine.

Mark.Sibole

Thanks.The frame was easy to make and if you have dimensions to a welding shop I cant see them charging a lot for a simple frame.It only need a few cuts and a few simple welds from any mig welder or wire feed welder.

FTG-05

Whatever you do, don't try to get one from Ray Shatzer of Ray's Windshields. I tried that a couple years ago and it took over 4 months to get my money back. What a POS. I *think* he's out of business now but just in case he's not.

I posted this on TBN three times and it was censored out (or the thread locked) all three times. One other person posted almost the exact same experience I had (before they locked the thread). Why TBN insists on protecting scam artists like that POS Ray Shatzer is beyond me.

Let's hope NTT doesn't.

Mark.Sibole

i knew lexan was expensive but i was unaware it had gotten so bad.Mark you have the solution. if you have a plasma cutter or know someone who does you can cut a window frame from a piece of sheet metal too. although i like Marks idea just fine.

Sheet metal isnt a good choice.Unless its at least 1/16 of an inch thich.You need something strong and solid for the frame and for the rubber holder to work.I took measurments from a piece of the rubber gasket he have me and 1/16 of an inch was a good fit and strong enough to prevent flex..