My RTV- soon to be an extreme off road vehicle

I am installing the winch tomorrow. I have a hi lift jack with mounts on the way. i am going to mount it to the front brush guards. Is there anything else that you know of that i should add?</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
YES I DO, >>>>>>>>>> WINCH COVER >>> SNATCH BLOCK .....GOOD PAIR OF LEATHER GLOVES,And may I add, a front reciever with shackle, first to hang your winch hook on, second, something to tie your hook on after you run it threw your snatch block.</p>

</p>

........ two guns </p>

Funny you mention that because as soon as i posted this i ordered a warn winch cover and a warn 1-1/4 reciever shackel bracket with shackle</p>

Deerlope

I sure wouldn't call the an extreme off road machine because you know you are going to be stuck alot that is why you are putting a winch on it. If you want an off road machine and want to keep going get a set of tracks. True they will get stuck also but not as often a tires.</p>

deerlope- i have had my RTV since 2005 and have only gotten stuck once. Believe me when i say i can go lots of places that you might not think i could</p>

Deerlope

I have also had mine since 05 and I have never been stuck with tires only hung up on a rock. I had to cell phone my neighbor to come pull me off with a Ranger no less. Once these RTV bottom out you aren't going anywhere. The tracks give me more ground clearence and 7 feet of ground contact on each side. But with only 21 HP its lacking. I think a Bcbcat tool cat may be in my future.</p>

A bobcat toolcat is a cool looking machine, but with a price tag of aroud 35,000 or more its not in the same league as an RTV</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I've had my RTV since Feb '05 .I don't have a winch but have only been stuck twice in the over 3000 hrs I have run her with good tires. Now when I first got the RTV ,I had the WS tires and got into trouble a lot with them. Of coarse down here in the South we have a lot of mud and rain in the winter No rocks . The exception to this was the past week with temps below freezing for many days in a row.Then we had a lot of frozen mud. I had to snatch a heavy mineral trough (about 500 lbs) out of frozen ruts. It took 3 tries but I used 4wd in L and out it came. Even though I about froze my nose off with the temps in the twenties during the day, I really like this machine and would still take it over any other I know about. I am considering making a wind shield at sometime but it's not high on my list . What, with neck collars and goggles with good gloves and rainwear, I am good with this Northern weather we have been having. I am ready for Muleman and Onfoot to turn the Arctic blast off though. Bring on Spring. Bordercollie</p>

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Hey we got above freezing 2 days in a row over the weekend. It is sitting at 33F right now. We are going to get some more slop later this week. Sure been burning some wood the last 6 weeks. It actually started to thaw the top inch or so of mud on the roads which makes for a mess when driving. I feel for those not used to the cold as we are so used to it anything above 20 degrees is a warm spell.</p>

Deerlope

Under the same token Muleman we in the north are not use to that heat the fellows in the south enjoy. Those guys dealing with the cold it the same as us dealing with the high heat.</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
.... as life goes on, I findmyself getting colder quicker !!!My feetat times feel like they are going to fall off. Bottom line, I just get colder than I used to. Don't know why >>>> </p>

...... jamie </p>

Deerlope

A cab will only make it worse, because you will never want to get out. Then you will become fat and not be able to go into the thicket(with 1911 drawn)and find those wounded critters. Now Two Guns has a chance at staying warm by moving around. Age is slowly creeping up on you my boy.</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
rtv with cab would be nice man to ride around with a a/c or heater in the trails and listen to the radio playin dat show woood be nice.</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Those cabs with a/c and heat would ruin me. During this past cold spell , I used the heater in the skid steer but when it finally got warm and toasty, then it was time to get out in the cold again. Now I just keep it off unless I'm in there for a good while. What really just kills me is mashing a finger or toe when it is so cold. I agree it would be nice to be able to warm up when working on fences or anything where the cold is relentless Two Guns is right about the cold and our ages. Bordercollie</p>

Onfoot

[quote user="bordercollie"]</p>

Those cabs with a/c and heat would ruin me. </p>
<div style="clear: both;"></div>

[/quote]</p>

I'm with you, Bordercollie. Having a heated cab would completely mess up my system. I have all the gear I need to stay warm in the cold, whether I am driving the Kubota or crawling around the snowblower to replace (the inevitably) broken sheer pins or whatever. There is nothing worse than needing to keep moving back and forth between the cold and the warm. It's bad enough needing to alternate between working outside and then having to do something in the heated garage--heat feels nice for a moment, but then I am sweating like a pig and can't wait to either get back out or to be shed of the winter gear. A cab on the Kubota would just make it worse. Mind you, I am very happy to have a windshield! At -30 you don't have to be going very fast to break off a frozen nose! I suppose I might feel different is all I was doing was riding from A to B and back again--so I have no objections to having heat in my F250! But my Kubota is part of my outdoor working equipment. (On the other hand, having said that, my Stihl 260 chainsaw has heated hand grips. They are very nice in the cold...)</p>

Onfoot

Speaking of frozen noses, here is a pic of my son a few days before Christmas when we were out with the Kubota looking for our Christmas tree...</p>

/cs/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.36.14/whxmas09_5F00_1220_5F00_05.jpg</p>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Now that is COLD! I should be ashamed talking about the "cold" temps down here. Brrrrr................. Bordercollie</p>

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
That is common when it gets below zero up here. The moisture from your breath just keeps building up. Worse than that is to be around a waterfall. The moisture in the air freezes in your lungs as you breathe and hurts pretty bad. Went to see Niagra Falls in January of 1977 and don't need to do that again! The ice was beautiful but the mist coated everything around for miles.</p>