Muffler silencer for Kubota RTV 1140

HomeB4Dark

Folks, my first post so thanks for letting me join. And I need some guidance here. We have a diesel Kubota RTV 1140 and absolutely love it and think it's a 2016 model or so. But it is loud so we're looking to see if there is a muffler silencing kit I can buy to quiet this thing down. Is there one you can recommend that you have used and that bolted right up and worked well? Thanks for your time and assistance.

I don't think you are going to quiet down much. On the other hand, you can change the tone of the exhaust to something more tolerable, at least in my opinion. When I installed the turbo in my 2023 X1140, I obviously needed to change the exhuast manifold, muffler, and piping. The result was a much smoother and low toned exhaust note along with the sweet whistle of the turbo. In my mind, it did quiet the machine some although still quite loud. I used all stainless piping and a stainless Magnaflow muffler along with the stainless exhaust manifold from turbokits.com. In my mind the cost of the exhaust components would not be worth it unless installing a turbo as well. Good Luck!

Attachments

• RTV X1140 Turbo Installed.jpg
    RTV X1140 Turbo Installed.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6

HomeB4Dark

Island Runner, thanks so much for this very detailed info. I value this and especially the part about "it may not be worth it"! I've got 4 grand daughters that ride around with me on "The Beast" and it's so loud when riding, we almost can't talk to one another and was just curious if there was something "Papa" could do to make it quieter. Thanks again, much appreciated and nice explanatory picture.

You could always do what we used to to quiet our generators for camping and make an add on exhaust muffler sysytem. Basically take a big car or truck muffler, connect it to the outlet of the original muffler with some pipe, and smash down the outlet of the add-on muffler down to an inch or so. Worked great for quieting the old standard generators before the newer super quiet inverter generators became common. The only downside is your diesel needs to flow air in and out as easily as possible to make power efficiently. You would need to play with exhaust opening size to get it quiet (small) and still flow well (large), and find a happy medium. You could probably mount it externally in the bed or on a bracket off the transmission guarding cage or plate if you have one. Could be made to be easily removed when not needed like the ones we used to make for our generators. I just think there is not enough room in the machine to really increase the size of the muffler and still keep it tucked in the machine.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum @HomeB4Dark

I went a different direction with mixed results. The engine is what it is and will make whatever noise it wants.

I went with sound deadening material between the engine and the passenger compartment and bed.

It's been 20 years for my RTV but:
What failed was standard insulation as it's not dense enough (e.g. polyisocyanurate foam board).
What did work somewhat was putting a horse stall mat inside the cargo box. Very dense rubber that helped on noise as well as protecting the bed.

There's been a lot of trial and error with mixed results by members here. I have to run so I can't do the searching myself but search the forum for things like "sound" or "sound deading" or similar.