Mahindra 5005 Starting Issue

JPTractor

I have a 2005 (ish) Mahindra 5005 DI. It has had intermittent starting issues for years and I thought it was the sensor that ensures it is not in gear going out. There is good power to the starter from the battery and when I take the wire off of the starter that comes from the ignition and turn the key, I get full voltage. However, every time I put the wire from the ignition back on the starter and turn the key, there is no vp;tage to the wire. My starter will jump start when I connect the terminals and I ever tried a new starter and had the same issue. What components are between the starter and ignition that could be the issue or does anyone know what this could be?

Fedup

What terminals are you jump starting? Are you applying battery voltage to the terminal you removed the key switch signal wire from? That's the way to accurately assess your starter's function. If the starter works "first time every time" when tested this way, then your start signal is NOT getting full voltage even though you think it is. You might consider adding a relay to correct the problem. A quick search for John Deere start relay kit will bring up a number of sites that can supply kits (at various prices) or you can source parts wherever you like. The concept is simple. You add a relay to direct battery voltage to the start terminal and use the existing signal wire to trigger the relay instead of the starter solenoid. Most relays will work with as little as 5 volts, where your starter won't.

JPTractor

What terminals are you jump starting? Are you applying battery voltage to the terminal you removed the key switch signal wire from? That's the way to accurately assess your starter's function. If the starter works "first time every time" when tested this way, then your start signal is NOT getting full voltage even though you think it is. You might consider adding a relay to correct the problem. A quick search for John Deere start relay kit will bring up a number of sites that can supply kits (at various prices) or you can source parts wherever you like. The concept is simple. You add a relay to direct battery voltage to the start terminal and use the existing signal wire to trigger the relay instead of the starter solenoid. Most relays will work with as little as 5 volts, where your starter won't.
Thank you so much. No sir. I was jumping the terminal that has supply power from the battery on the solenoid to the terminal that goes straight to the starter. I was bypassing the ignition/key switch terminal on the solenoid.

JPTractor

The thing that baffles me is why I get full voltage to the key switch signal wire when it is removed from the solenoid but no voltage when I place it back on the solenoid. Even when I tried it on the new starter.

Fedup

My guess is you're reading voltage with the wire disconnected because the current has nowhere to go. When you put it back on the starter and there is a load on the circuit the signal drops off. Weak signal for whatever reason. Try the relay. See what that gets you. I've done it many times on all sorts of tractors.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So, if you run jumper cables from the battery to the starter solenoid, it starts every time, right?
I've encountered a similar situation a couple times on my tractor. In both cases, there was internal corrosion on the battery cables. Can't be seen from the outside. You're getting enough to show volts but because of the corrosion, I wasn't getting enough amps.
Using a set of jumper cables, run the cables parallel to where the existing battery cables are run and see if that works.

JPTractor

That's an easy check. I will give it a try. Thank you.

On that note, is there a good way to prevent corrosion on terminals? Can you spray them with WD40 or use some type of oil without losing efficacy from the battery?