kubota vs polaris ranger

griffman

Monday will probably find me at the Kubota dealer buying an RTV, can't decide between the camo and the traditional orange. While cleaning up some paper work in the office this am, I came across a polaris brochure. I had been looking at polaris as well before decicing on the Kubota. They (polaris) sure make a compelling argument about the benfits of their unit. I just don't want to come up short once I lay down my money. I'll need the unit to move planters, wagons, water barrels as well as logs and limbs, not to mention decoys and an occasional deer. I don't want to kill this rig shortly after I buy by over loading it, but I want it to replace the tractor for its convienience. Don't shoot me Two Guns for bringing up the polaris idea, just needed some encouragement.</P>

</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The sales brochures always make compelling arguements...

Your task list contains work items. In that you're also going to be replacing your tractor, you need a work machine.

The RTV is the workhorse and its primary usage is work. The Ranger is a mix of fun/play and work.

If you needed medium work and more play/speed, the Ranger may be the better choice but for your task list, the RTV seems a better fit.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Not knocking Ranger or nobody, but if you purchase the Ranger. MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU !</P>

Your going to need it. They say the best lessons are the one you buy, and boy, with the Ranger, you are fixin' to get EDUCATED !!!! Ever heard of buying problems, this was discussed over supper last night with a ex-Ranger owner. He got educated quickly, less than seven months, and sold his Ranger ( lost his butt ) & purchased a Worksite Kubota RTV. </P>

Something to think about !!!!!!</P>

But, everybody is different. What ever you purchase, I will be happy for you !!!!!!</P>

ground hog man

if it was not for the lack of any down hill hold back and little thing like brake shoe replacment ever 6 months and tie rod end replacment ever 6 months i would still have my polaris.my kubota rtv fills like it would last forever. its heavy slow stiff solid dependable just like me . good luck with either one you purchase. the ground hog man..( from ground hog hollow kentucky)

Chandler

You might want to go look at the Ranger, just to satisfy your mind and remove all doubt. I had been looking at them and thought thats what I wanted till I went and looked an RTV. When I drove up and seen the RTV it caught my eye right off. Not just the looks, but the quality of which it was built. I was hooked right off. It looked like a working machine with it'stractor-like toughness. I use mine for working more than playing. Ihave no regrets and wouldbuy the same machine again.The other machines tend to be more plastic and recreational. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but I wanted something that was tough, strong and would hold up like a tractor. I don't think you'll have any regrets if you go with the RTV. I got the Camo one for my tastes and occasional hunting and I really like it. </P>

</P>

Rowdy1

I am in the same boat as griffman; getting ready to pull the trigger,
but just checking my aim first. How about comments on Polaris' supposed
advantages (ground clearance, "true" 4WD, etc.). I am going to use mine
mainly around the farm...pretty flat country, but will occasionally be
in the MS delta doing some duck hunting. How is the RTV in the mud
compared to the Ranger? By the way, I was going to purchase a Ranger
until I found this thread and decided to do further due diligence.

Thanks...

griffman

Thanks for the in put guys. I just needed to hear from a few of you that you believed in the product.</P>

Just have to decide on the color and tire tread pattern. Oh yeah, Two Guns you were dead on with the prices. I found a local dealer who was willing to sell one for the price we discussed. I'll have to post up next week with the new ride. If I can figure out how to post the pictures I'll make sure they are attached.</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="Rowdy1"]I am in the same boat as griffman; getting ready to pull the trigger,
but just checking my aim first. How about comments on Polaris' supposed
advantages (ground clearance, "true" 4WD, etc.). I am going to use mine
mainly around the farm...pretty flat country, but will occasionally be
in the MS delta doing some duck hunting. How is the RTV in the mud
compared to the Ranger? By the way, I was going to purchase a Ranger
until I found this thread and decided to do further due diligence.

Thanks...[/quote]
Welcome to the forum Rowdy.

Do a search on this forum for "Ranger". There's several threads that compare (pros and cons) the Ranger and RTV. There will also be discussions about the mud but in general, tire selection is the important factor.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
<TABLE class=CAPageContent id=_ctl0__ctl1_bcr_PostForm___ComposePage style="DISPLAY: block; WIDTH: 100%; HEIGHT: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">
<DIV id=_ctl0__ctl1_bcr_PostForm___Reply>griffman,</DIV>
<DIV> Hope you get the RTV, as far as the woods are concerned. That is what I do with mine is the deer management thing,and do some serious deer / duck / hog hunting, & will be hunting in it for the first time this winter. Done a little hunting this summer poping coyotes,and hogs. Machine does PERFECT . Made my dealer swap out to the atv tires, (at no cost ) which I will run during the " off " season till the swamps get really nasty. I just yesterday, ordered a new set of heavy duty aluminum rims and really aggressive tires to install when it gets bad. Done alot of research and the tires, and got mega help from alot of these good ole boys here on the Compact Tractor forum. I've learned alot here, and still learning >>> these folks will tell you like it is, for they have been there before. Wish I would have been lucky enough to have own a RTV years ago, life would have been so much nicer !</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV> </DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

PAPACECIL

I purchased one of the first RTV's in October 2004 about the same time my neighbor purchased a Polaris Ranger. My RTV has about 385 hours of hard work draging a chain harrow, pullingdowned trees, pulling 12 fttrailer full of brush.My neighbor has about 420 hours of easy work spraying weeds and checking cows. No problems on mine except vinyl seat split which the dealer replaced at no charge. My neighbor had to replace right front joint twice, and shift lever cable, drive belt,and now his transmission is going out.His camo paint faded and turned a wierd shade of purple. He will be out about $2,000 total after he fixes transmission. Both were purchaded from the same dealer who sells both models.</P>

The Polaris is much faster than the Kubota, has more sitting room. It is quiter sitting at an idle but at full speed makes more noise than the Kubota. The Kubota has been almost bullet proof. My grandson snuck off in it and hit the cattle gurand af full speed and bent the front rim but did not hurt any of the dirve train.</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Well, are we home yet with a new RTV ~~~~ did we get 900 or 1100 * camo or orange * GP or Worksite * atv or turf tires ? Like to see a pic ~~~~