Injection Pump and Governor adjustment on D1105

ggmanning

10 4. In my case I know where the stock rack setting should be since i opened it up 2 turns initially and I was thinking put it back stock then adjust max fuel screw to the just under smoke level......then adjust the rack adjustment to the same point of just under smoke. That logic sound sensible to you since I don't know the stock setting of the max fuel screw? I will say in studying and tinkering on this engine in the RTV configuration they are tuned way down on fuel and rpms. I expect the stock muffler chokes it a good bit as well. I don't want the ragged edge like my Cummins hobby fun truck...I just want not shackled by political engineering. Thanks for your insight.

Last edited:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
I don't think the fuel screw will make much difference without advanced timing and a turbo. The rack screw and rpm will deliver more fuel when it needs it most.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
Without the test stand that will be anybody guess. If it weren't for the hst grenadeing you could really go to town with the rpm.

I'll chime in and agree with aurthuritis says. Been pretty busy last few days to get much more tuning done on mine yet but have backed the max fuel screw out 3/4 turns from the .650" i originally had it at. I have my max high idle set at 3600 RPM now. Still no real smoke. There is a little smoke if revving it up quickly in nuetral but that has more to do with where my fuel rack screw is at now. My EGT's are around 1000 degrees running wide open down the road so I feel I can fuel it quite a bit more yet. I tried to get some numbers by setting the parking brake and putting it in high gear and trying to see max EGT's and RPM and HST pressure but my parking brake will not hold it. I was trying to get it all done in garage since weather was wet, rainy, and cold but I'll have to wait and either park it against a tree or hook it up to my F350 so it won't move.

On another note, I am thinking of adding another guage. I am thinking I could use a HPOP pressure guage that measures the fuel delivery pressure in the older Ford 6.0L and 7.3L diesels. Of course I would need to get the Ford ICP sending unit but those are fairly cheap. I think I will buy another G3/8 plug for the HST high pressure test port and drill and tap it for the FOrd ICP sender and wire it to the HPOP guage. That would let me monitor HST pressures in real time. The guages max out at 4000 PSI which should work just fine.

Last edited:
Another note I forgot to mention in my other posts. You can increase fueling by rotating the fuel delivery plates counter clockwise as far as they will go. Loosen the 2 tamper proof torx screws on each plate and rotate the plates counter clockwise. You will see gaps in the screw slots when far enough. 2 or 3 of they turbo instructions I used during my turbo install said to do this and I did it. Just forgot to ever mention it in this thread.

ggmanning

I worked on the machine today. Set my max fuel limit to .540 from the initial .650. Machine ran speeds and felt like it did before losing the stock setting on this adjusment. Turned up max rpm to 3650, mine was 3120 warmed up stock. Backed the rack limit screw our 2 turns. Went back and adjusted my pedal stop and HST servo linkage to match the new max rpm travel. No smoke on start or full throttle. Woke it up a bunch. Pulling slight grades at 24/25mph that it would lag down to 21mph on previously, Max speed flat is 29mph and down a slight grade 30mph, Much better match of power to speed throughout the curve. Speed taken with a GPS as I am on 27x11-12 tires and the speedo is off roughly 2mph from about 20mph up. Appreciate all the insight in the thread. Of course I have no idea where the max fuel was stock but in playing with it in and out a turn each way where it is now matched previous results before turning up max rpms and the rack limit. As Authuritis said the rpm change with linkages adjusted to match were the main things that made the machine what I think it should be like. No need to touch the max fuel adjustment and ideally I should have left it alone vs having play with it to get it back to a stock feel and speeds before completing the other adjustments. Max speed wasn't a goal i just wanted it to not lag down on grades and have a more linear power band....the extra speed was pleasant side effect.

Last edited:

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
What year and model is your rtv? Seems to me the rpm is almost always way under spec on the x models. In my opinion the fuel rack shoult be adjusted on a non turbo machine out until you get just a slight haze of smoke that clears as the max rpm is reached.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
It's unfortunate that y'all are foregoing your warranty. These simple adjustments should be a part of every dealer prep. KTC should remedy this. The tools are something that any dealer tech should have at a minimum.

ggmanning

I agree. Just my peddle and throttle cables were way off. Can't help myself. I know a lot about how it works now and it is a much better machine for us in spec.

I agree as well. And ggmanning, you went this far with it, now you need to turbo it! If you are a turbo diesel guy like me, you won't regret it. $$$$$ but I would definitely do it again.

ggmanning

I have a Tater built Holset VVT on the bench now....... think the Bota will turn it? 😁

I do love the long bed. Just what we needed. Everything else here is orange except the Cummins trucks so it was an easy choice to replace the 10 yr old mule diesel.

ggmanning

Just had a thought feeding cows tonight. My smallest Kubota is a B7610 tractor for the garden and tight space fence mowing. It has the same engine as the RTVx. Just for curiosity I am going to pull the max fuel adjustment screw on it and see what it measures at factory set. That engine does, and for nearly 20 years, has puffed a little black on start up and under heavy load. Of course it was set up well before EPA regs on these units. In that tractor high rpm, no load, is 2600rpm. I expect do to limitations of that model HST. Same bore and stroke.

Last edited:
I turned out my max fuel again this weekend. I went another 1 full turn. I would estimate I am 2 1/2 turns out from the .650" I originally had it set at. Running wide open in high in a soft muddy field with 3"-4" of snow with 4 adults and maybe 500lbs of gear in bed, my EGT's were running 1100 degress before the turbo at 10 PSI of boost. My EGT probe is installed on the underside of the exhaust manifold dead center of the underside of the flange the turbo bolts to. Probably leave it here for a bit and see how performs. I think I need to back out the fuel rack limiter a bit more yet. Still no real smoke to speak of.

Here is a pic of the X1140 with mother-in-law, wife, and my youngest daughter in some of my flooded timber. We were easily going through 2 feet deep mucky mud in some of the swampy parts of the woods. Not even a challenge! Needless to say with ruts 2 feet deep, those trails will no longer be fit for my golf cart!

Attachments

• X1140 in water.jpg
    X1140 in water.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
We just cannot help but imagine that the mfr’r and the gov’t have conspired to prevent our machinery from working fully ….
…. there Must Be sneaky-cooperation between those to keep us from getting All We Can from our stuff…
…and All that is Necessary is to Defeat the Conspiracy …is twisting a screw or two … (even if ignorant and without tools and calibrated instrumentation)… for “ MORE POWER! AAARGH!” - Tim Allen

Would we beat a horse Harder and more ruthlessly if we wanted more work …rather than get a larger animal..? Did the breeders and the gov’t breed and teach horses to be lazy..?