I think I gelled by diesel fuel up

Smilingreen

I haven't run the 1100 since Monday, when we got our 9" of snow. Last night, we got an unforeseen low of -10F. The 1100 sat under the carport today, while our temps went to a balmy 22f for a high today. The wife wanted to get out and see the snow this evening when I got home from work. So, we jumped in the 1100 , which started right up and slowly drove down to our woods, took a couple of trails through the woods at just over idle speed and I was coming through a back field when she just sputtered and stopped. It would hit a couple of times while trying to start it, but it wouldn't run. Thats when it hit me: "Dumbass, you didn't put any cetane boost in the diesel tank." We had to walk uphill, 1/4 mile in 9" deep snow to get to the house. The wife wasn't amused.

So, on the way home from work tomorrow, I'll pick up a bottle of cetane boost and dump it in the tank this weekend. Hopefully, it didn't wax up too bad. :oops:

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
“Cetane Boost”….. ain’t necessarily Anti-Gel. And Anti-Gel may not work in fuel which is already gelled.

After the fuel warms up to 20+ or so….. I’ll bet things work fine again. That’s also when adding Anti-Gel may prevent this in the future.

Smilingreen

Power Service Diesel 911. Put some in the tank and the fuel filter.
I stopped and picked some up after work this afternoon. Walked down to the Kubota, probably put too much in..... whoops..... Rocked the Kubota from side to side for a couple of minutes to let it mix in good. Did the usual glowplug, crank routine for about 5 minutes. Finally got it to hit and run, pulled the fast idle up and she quit. Must have sucked another plug in the fuel filter. Glow plugged and cranked again, this time she stayed running. Let it sit in the field on high idle for about 10 minutes and jumped in. Drove all the way through the woods and up the steep hill and it never burped. Parked her back in the carport and let it run for about 15 minutes to make sure the Power Service Diesel 911 was throughly circulated through the fuel system and let the battery top off on it's charge. I feel much better, now that it is back in the carport, where she belongs.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Glad you got it running and enjoyed a jaunt in the snow! 🤗 I’m surprised that your local diesel pumps don’t have winter blends. It may not be really cold most of the winter where you are but truckers passing through could very well be heading further north where they could expect much colder temps.

Smilingreen

Glad you got it running and enjoyed a jaunt in the snow! 🤗 I’m surprised that your local diesel pumps don’t have winter blends. It may not be really cold most of the winter where you are but truckers passing through could very well be heading further north where they could expect much colder temps.
I haven't filled it up in a couple of months. So the diesel in the tank is probably from September, maybe October?

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I haven't filled it up in a couple of months. So the diesel in the tank is probably from September, maybe October?
I wish they would mark the pump when they have changed to winter blend. I assume Nov. but they never say one way or the other.

Smilingreen

I believe I am all set for our next round of Arctic 0F weather starting tonight. I went into town today, got 5 gallons of fresh diesel, a bottle of Power Service Cetane Boost and Anti-Gel (white bottles), dumped some in and topped off the tank. Started the 1100, let it warm up and then drove around for an hour. No burps or hiccups. I'll run by Kubota next week and pick up a fuel filter and change it out, because it is supposed to be in the 60's by Wednesday. :cautious:

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
One thing which may be interesting to ponder….. is the fuel injectors on diesel engines which have a “return” fuel-line for the excess fuel delivered to the injector…which is returned to the tank…. may help distribute and warm the fuel supply.

tfdr1

One thing which may be interesting to ponder….. is the fuel injectors on diesel engines which have a “return” fuel-line for the excess fuel delivered to the injector…which is returned to the tank…. may help distribute and warm the fuel supply.

It helps keep it from gelling while in use but doesn't do any good if you are gelled and can't get running.

Dave