Hunting with my 900

pappy19

Got this nice cow elk yesterday about 2 miles from my home here in Idaho. About 8 inches of snow, mud, slush, etc. My son in law says hunting off of his ATV is now history, he loves my 900 as do I. The elk filled up nearly the entire bed. We backed up the 900 into the bank and dragged the elk over and into the bed whole. Gutted and butchered it at the barn. It's the only way to go.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats!!! Nice setup you have there (the RTV) as well as a beautiful home.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
pappy19, </P>

Looks like your havinga great season.... Congratulations on the Kill >>>>></P>

Happy to see other big game hunters putting the RTV to good use .... I thought there for awhile, I was the only one on this forum that used the RTV to haul deer. I was kinda feeling like a mis-fit or somethng >>>> Everybody else seemed tohaul firewood, dirt, rocks, trash, kids & pets >>>>></P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="TWO GUNS"] Happy to see other big game hunters putting the RTV to good use .... I thought there for awhile, I was the only one on this forum that used the RTV to haul deer. I was kinda feeling like a mis-fit or somethng >>>> Everybody else seemed tohaul firewood, dirt, rocks, trash, kids & pets >>>>>[/quote]
Awe, come on now. 362 days a year, mine's a firewood/rock/dirt/trash/kids hauler but mine gets its hunting season work in. I quit hunting years ago since Mrs. Zoom doesn't eat venison (and I get all the venison I want from friends), but I still haul out many of the kills around here.

BTW - One of my partners has shut down his beef/deer... processing area. He may be selling a lot of his equipment (saws, hooks, styrofoam plates, plastic covers...). Anyone interested in his "stuff" if he doesn't build a new processing area?

TWO GUNNS</P>

Hauling dear friends counts, too.</P>

<FONT size=5>pappy19</FONT></P>

Beautiful area of thecountry you live in. Fine rig and meat in the back-how can you beat that? More photos? I visited a high school buddy of mine that lives in Libby, MT this summer. We had a great time. High school graduation for us was 1958!!!! Is that close to you by any chance? I know the states out there are a lot larger than most. Beautiful country. Thanks for posting so the rest of us can enjoy the great life in the north west.</P>

Nick</P>

pappy19

Thanks for the compliments all around. We have lived in Idaho since I got out of college in 1968, but have worked all over the USA on various projects. We finally settled in Garden Valley, Idaho which is 50 miles north of Boise on the Payette River system and live in a "log home only" subdivision with a 1300 sq. ft. minimum. I like south western Idaho as it doesn't get as cold as eastern Idaho and we have great Ponderosa pine forests, mountains, and great hunting and fishing. We are 1 hour from Boise and their major airport, hospitals, etc. Our "town" has a couple of gas stations, an old fashoned Merc, hardware and lumber store, coffee shop, country club/golf course, and a number of taverns, antique shops, etc. A great place to live and raise kids, away from the big city influences. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

pappy19

Naturally the wife shot her elk yesterday and it was larger than the other two. Got enough meat for the year anyway and "BO" did famously. Hunting with my Kubota is definately being spoiled rotton.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Don't feel bad, my wife, two years ago, killed more than I did !!!! </P>

Glad to see your wife hunts also, like to see women who isn't afraid to get their hands bloody !!!</P>

Notice some sort of brackets in the bck of the 1100 ? What does that support ?</P>

And watch out for that piece of pipe or stick in the ground behind the elk. Could get your attention in different ways ~~~~</P>

That is a nice size animal.... Tell her that we are very impressed with her Elk !!!! She must be a good hunter, for I know, she has a great teacher ....</P>

Shoot Straight & Stay Safe !!!</P>

grapeman

pappy19, Tell Mrs. Pappy GOOD job on bagging biggest elk.</P>

I see in the picture that you have raised the hydraulic bed with the tailgate cables unhooked ! It is possible for the tailgate to swing under the body catch on the hitch receiver while raising the body with cable unhooked ! I have not seen any warnings about this on this forum.</P>

To all RTV owners!</P>

Attached is a picture, ( not my rtv )that I found on another forum that shows what is possible if you are not careful lifting body with tailgate cables unhooked!</P>

grapeman</P>

pappy19

[quote user="TWO GUNS"]

Don't feel bad, my wife, two years ago, killed more than I did !!!! </P>

Glad to see your wife hunts also, like to see women who isn't afraid to get their hands bloody !!!</P>

Notice some sort of brackets in the bck of the 1100 ? What does that support ?</P>

And watch out for that piece of pipe or stick in the ground behind the elk. Could get your attention in different ways ~~~~</P>

That is a nice size animal.... Tell her that we are very impressed with her Elk !!!! She must be a good hunter, for I know, she has a great teacher ....</P>

Shoot Straight & Stay Safe !!!</P>

[/quote]</P>

</P>

2-Guns-</P>

</P>

The bracket you see is the snorkel air cleaner on my 900. Here's another pic of her hunt.</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
<FONT color=#0000ff>And watch out for that piece of pipe or stick in the ground behind the elk. Could get your attention in different ways ~~~~</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#ff0000> Seen the high air intake, I was a lookin' at the pipe or handle/ stick behind the elk on the ground... was trying to figure out what that was ~~</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#ff0000> We are going to have to find the child a little KUBOTA cap !!!!!</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#ff0000> THAT IS A GREAT PICTURE *** Looks like ya'll are enjoying life, keep up the great hunting skills !!!!</FONT></P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="TWO GUNS"]<font color="#ff0000"> We are going to have to find the child a little KUBOTA cap !!!!!</font>[/quote]
Hey now. That's a fine hat. It matches the "Nothing Runs Like a Deere" license plate I mounted to the tailgate of my RTV.
Carhartt's on kids just look so right.
He could use an orange vest though...

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="TWO GUNS"]<font color="#ff0000"> We are going to have to find the child a little KUBOTA cap !!!!!</font>[/quote]
Hey now. That's a fine hat. It matches the "Nothing Runs Like a Deere" license plate I mounted to the tailgate of my RTV.
Carhartt's on kids just look so right.
He could use an orange vest though...

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Your right bczoom, fine lookin' young hunter, a orange Kubota vest would top it off !!!!</P>

On the subject of little ones, it is amazing how many customers, friends, & folks who have the grandchildren & children with them who come to the shop, and kids see the RTV, it's like they go crazy over it, wanting one so bad. Many asking for a ride, and if I have time, take 'em on a "loop " behind the shop. Makes their day. I get the biggest kick, when they get back to grand / parents. The begging begins, Heck, you would be surprised how many big folks want to " hold the child " while riding, just so they can take a ride, that's ok too. Everyone is happy !!!! Wonder how many RTV's are on Santa's list this year ?</P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="TWO GUNS"] On the subject of little ones, it is amazing how many customers, friends, & folks who have the grandchildren & children with them who come to the shop, and kids see the RTV, it's like they go crazy over it, wanting one so bad. Many asking for a ride, and if I have time, take 'em on a "loop " behind the shop. Makes their day. I get the biggest kick, when they get back to grand / parents. [/quote]
And if you have a RTV, you can't keep the kids off either. When I bought my RTV, I already had 9 off-road vehicles (not including tractors). Well almost every one of them is now gone since the RTV is their favorite. BTW - Anyone want to buy a kids ATV or 2-seater go-cart?

pappy19

[quote user="TWO GUNS"]

<FONT color=#0000ff>And watch out for that piece of pipe or stick in the ground behind the elk. Could get your attention in different ways ~~~~</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#ff0000> Seen the high air intake, I was a lookin' at the pipe or handle/ stick behind the elk on the ground... was trying to figure out what that was ~~</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#ff0000> We are going to have to find the child a little KUBOTA cap !!!!!</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#ff0000> THAT IS A GREAT PICTURE *** Looks like ya'll are enjoying life, keep up the great hunting skills !!!!</FONT></P>

[/quote]</P>

</P>

Took me a while to figure out what you were referring to, but it is my little shovel that I always keep in the bed. When we dumped Memaw's elk, our little grandson stuck it in the ground. It's a Swedish Army surplus shovel that I picked up for $2.00 somewhere and thought it would come in handy someday on "BO".</P>