Hot enough for ya?

Smilingreen

The heat index has been crazy stupid the past couple of days. Yesterdays heat index in Middle Tennessee reached 119F yesterday afternoon. Stay inside if you can and if you can't, drink plenty of water and take frequent breaks out of the sun.

Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 1.05.23 PM.png

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not getting much done outside due to the heat.
I used to be able to tolerate the heat but as I age, it's not working for me.
I do low physical requiring projects in this heat.

Smilingreen

The temp has actually been very nice this past week. Starting tomorrow, that is abruptly ending and the inferno will be back.

Screenshot 2024-08-25 at 3.20.02 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-08-25 at 3.22.24 PM.png

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
It's been pretty bad here except for a few days. We've been building over 2 miles of electric fence and cross fences. Hot as stink and getting tanned through shirts. Dixie is staying at home where it's cool.. just too hot for all of that thick hair of hers. I bought myself one of these 36 hour water jugs. I drink it dry in one day - sometimes in one afternoon. These are really good. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BLCD3KWY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

ETF

It's actually been cooler here in East Texas this summer. We've only had about 4 days over 100°F and most have been in the mid 90s. Still hot but bearable.

When working outside, I drink 80-100 (at least) fluid ounces a day of water and sports drinks. Water alone doesn't cut it as I start to get cramps in my hands while working and in my legs and feet at night. I drink 2 or 3 20oz bottles of Gatorade or Powerade a day. I also spend a lot of time peeing but at least it forces me to take a cool-off break. :ROFLMAO:

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Miserable hot here today. 95 or a bit more. Seems to take your breath away.

With all the heat my grass is 4 acres of mostly brown. I haven't mowed in 5 or 6 weeks. Maybe more, I've lost count.

ETF is that normal for you? Does your grass quit growing when the heat gets way up there?

ETF

Miserable hot here today. 95 or a bit more. Seems to take your breath away.

With all the heat my grass is 4 acres of mostly brown. I haven't mowed in 5 or 6 weeks. Maybe more, I've lost count.

ETF is that normal for you? Does your grass quit growing when the heat gets way up there?

At this time of year temperatures in the mid 90s are pretty normal, even a little low. I only really pay attention when it gets above a 100°F.

No, it doesn't quit growing. I mow every 7 to 10 days all through the summer. One of the best things that I have ever done was, when we moved here almost 30 years ago, I had a water well drilled and installed a sprinkler system in our 4-acre yard. I'm now on my second water well. So, I pour the water to the St Augustine (and the junk grass) using the well water. When it gets above 100°F I run the sprinklers for 16 hours a day, that's 2-hours per station, usually every other day. I cut the time and the frequency back as the temperature cools off. It keeps the grass green and growing.

My neighbors and friends who don't water, their grass is mostly brown and crispy by this time, especially the ones who live in town. That city water is too expensive to use it for watering a yard.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting.
I've never seen grass this bad before but when it has gone brown like this it always comes back, no harm no foul.
I don't like mowing that much and since all my neighbors grass is like mine I am enjoying the break.
The last 25 summers I've had to mow every 5 days in the spring then every 6 or 7 days the rest of the summer / fall.

Smilingreen

Interesting.
I've never seen grass this bad before but when it has gone brown like this it always comes back, no harm no foul.
I don't like mowing that much and since all my neighbors grass is like mine I am enjoying the break.
The last 25 summers I've had to mow every 5 days in the spring then every 6 or 7 days the rest of the summer / fall.
It's 101F outside right now in Middle Tennessee. For the whole month of August, we have only had .46 inches of rain. We haven't had any since the 15th of August. This is very unusual for Middle Tennessee. Normally ,we are around 45-48 inches of rain for the year by the end of August. We are currently @39.26 inches for the year.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think I mentioned in a different thread about a large maple tree falling on one of my buildings. There's another large one overhanging it that I'm not going to risk it falling, so I'm about to cut it down. Right now I'm chaining it up (which requires ladder climb and dragging hundreds of feet of chain). It's in the 90's with 80% humidity and it's killing me.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
RECORD BREAKING DROUGHT:
Portions of Southeastern Ohio are now experiencing a once in a generation drought.
Catastrophic loss of vegetation and crop yield is likely occuring all across the region, including Chillicothe and Circleville.
This level of drought hasn’t been seen for decades for portions of the Scioto Valley and into the Extreme SE Ohio region. The only comparable years are 1930-1933. When the dust bowl happened.
The next opportunity for rainfall is on Saturday.
It will be one of the only opportunities for rain in the next 10-16 days.
No drought relief through at least mid September.

Note: I live in the dark maroon section of the state. So dry here.

OhioDroughtMapAug2024.jpg

Smilingreen

On the way home from work today, a storm front was moving in and most of the leaves on the trees were coming off in large amounts. It looked like a snow blizzard, but in leaves. Many of the trees are shedding their leaves. it won't be a colorful fall season this year. What leaves that haven't starting dropping yet will just turn brown and drop.

Smilingreen

I find it hard to believe that the county I live in, which is bordered in black, is stating we are not in a drought condition. That is true weather observation from an office chair.

Screenshot 2024-08-31 at 9.43.47 AM.png

Smilingreen

I think our heatwave finally broke. Since August 30th, we have received 2.06 inches of rain. Yesterdays temps were in the mid 80's, today will be the same and by the end of this week, we will be in the upper 70's for a high. I can live with these temps. Still a little nervous about firing up the tractor and bush hog. A lot of very tall, dense brush that is all dried up and brown. It needs a bit more rain on it before I knock it all down.