Harbor Freight: Coupons, and recommended tools

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Another. 20% 0ff, October 2 ~ 4.

I see one real bargain on the More Coupons page. Ratcheting loppers (HD, high leverage pruner with extendable handles) for $10. Usually $20 and I think occasionally $16 on sale.

But go easy on these. I put one handle against my belly and pulled the other handle with both hands, and bent the handles! Used properly I doubt you can break them.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here's a Link to an excellent HF thread over on Garage Journal. Over 500 posts ranking HF products Pass or Fail, with interesting and informative comments. Mostly positive, from users with enough experience to know what they are talking about.

Note the OP's advice: "Search for "harbor freight pass fail" using the search function. It will highlight PASS and FAIL in red, making it easier to read."

And here's a thread on ToolCrib also ranking HF tools. Mostly one author assembling ratings he found elsewhere. He formatted it with the HF# and a link to HF's description for each, so its easily searchable when you want to research a specific item.

thumbs

15% coupons

Hey California

For the last month or 6 weeks or so all I have been getting are 15% coupons. Have you or anyone else on the list gotten any 20%ers? Is so can you send the link to them?

thanks

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Me too, and none active at the moment. The most recent was 15% 11/6 ~ 11/9.

I was in HF yesterday and the manager made a heavy pitch to sign up for their new 'Inside Track Club'. $29.95 per year. He said the preferred customer emails and mail brochures are going away, to be superceded by this new fee-based discount scheme. You can quit and get a refund for the first 90 days if you don't like it.

This gives you an hour earlier access to the Sidewalk Sales which have a few customer returns offered at tremendous discount and still with refund guarantee. I have gone to several and never bought anything. Plus emails offering clearance stuff in their warehouse, but I expect you still pay shipping which diminishes the savings. And a continuation of the present email specials.

For me, I don't see much point in it assuming they continue their ordinary advertised sales. The sewer snake machine, 20x20 tarp-carport, and a $129 compressor are the only items over $100 I have bought there in the past decade. No two of them in the same year. I don't see any more larger-ticket items I want. I shop there for convenience - it's a reasonable first place to look for stuff - but this membership seems to be an excuse to waste money on stuff they are pushing, mostly stuff I don't need.

I think the best strategy is to wait and maybe join for a year if the discount would be justified on some large-ticket item.

thumbs

Yeah I was wonderin what was goin on. I used to get about three fliers a week. Now maybe one every two weeks. Na not gonna join any club for 30 bucks. Like you said if the discount was big enough. I to don't forsee any big ticket items. I guess their makin money and don't need to do what they have been doin.

There is one now for 15% to the 19th. I got that one today.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I see the 98871 ( h-f 90amp 115v flux-wire welder) for $89.99 in HF's Black Friday ad. And this is the store price, 3 days only.

Now if you can find a 20% coupon from SlickDeals or a magazine the net cost will be $72!!!

Forget comparisons to a $400 welder. I think this is good value for an under-$75 welder.

Also the camo remote winch is $50 before coupon, and the 2hp compressor is $80.

For these few items, this really is the sale of the year.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Quoted from fastopel, on WeldingWeb:

Try these links:

www.harborfreightusa.com/hotrod

www.harborfreightusa.com/carcraft

You can print as many as you need!

I buy all things with these coupons, one at a time.

Take it to the car then go back in for another thing.

I used 4 20% and a 25% on new years day. Saved Big Time!

Darrell
I had unpredictable results. 90% of the time it redirected to a page with a 20% coupon (you had to scroll down a little to see it); 10% of the time it went to a page with the usual specials but no %-off coupon.

And note the free flashlight below the coupon. They are excellent.

Big thanks to Darrell!

PBinWA

Quoted from fastopel, on WeldingWeb:

I had unpredictable results. 90% of the time it redirected to a page with a 20% coupon (you had to scroll down a little to see it); 10% of the time it went to a page with the usual specials but no %-off coupon.

And note the free flashlight below the coupon. They are excellent.

Big thanks to Darrell!

I was able to just save the coupon image to my computer. ;)

I'll second that those little LED flashlights are great. I have them stashed everywhere and they have decent battery life too.

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
This weeks HF discount coupons.

These have a unique customer number embedded so as always, to make your own coupon, change the customer # (366336 etc) in your browser's address bar to something unique, then press 'enter' again to generate your own coupon. Then print it. :tiphat:

If you just discovered this thread, you might want to read through the recent posts. There are 20%-off coupons in several popular magazines and you don't need the actual magazine, you just need to know where to download that magazine's coupons from.

Also farther back in the thread, there are references to deal-finder type websites that follow HF closely, and to other websites that have comprehensive customer reviews of near everything HF sells.

Plus this thread has some of our own members reviews.

One point that deserves mention again: for the %-off coupons, present them to the cashier *First* and identify the most expensive item to apply it toward. Their cash registers are programmed to refuse that coupon if another coupon, maybe a 'this week' coupon, was already presented by the same customer.

Enjoy!

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good info CA. Thanks for the tips to all our new members about some of the goodies in this thread. Good job!!!!!!

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
This week's HF discount coupons.

I see the little float charger @ $3.99 and an impact wrench @ $10. The float charger works as expected. I don't know about the impact wrench.

Also the 15 gallon RTV spray rig @ $70.

As described in a recent post, always generate a unique customer# (up in your browser's address bar) before hitting Print for these.

Enjoy!

California

Super Moderator
Staff member
Site Supporter
HF's Eagle welding helmet, autodarken and large window, is on sale for $11.87. Mailorder only; delivered cost about $18. Previously it was $70.

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...met-94336.html

image_2933.jpg

I'm seeing good reviews for this over on Welding Web.

About five years ago I bought one. Apparently I got a bad one. When it hadn't been used for a while it continually showed the dead battery warning even with a new and tested-good battery, and even after days of sunlight recharging. Just after I bought their Blue Flame helmet (excellent) to replace it, they reduced the price drastically on these.

I have seen a couple of reviews where others got a bad one like mine, but not for a couple of years, so HF apparently got their quality control sorted out by now.

When it works, it works nice. At this price I would buy another, if I didn't already have the new Blue Flame helmet.

A couple of months ago was the first time they had a sale at this price and they sold out over one weekend. This sale may also be short-term.