Hand Throttle Kit w/ Mattracks

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="jslsjl"]tried the hand throttle idea yesterday on our 1100, for now its just a pair of vice grips and it does make a noticeable difference plus the pedal is easier to push.[/quote]
I'd say it's better than vice-grips... Does everyone know that you pull the knob to the "ball-park" of where you want the RPM's, then twist the knob and it'll adjust the RPM's up or down?

Mannie

Hello two guns. Happy new year to you! I bought that hand throttle a while ago and never had a chance to install it. I am a bit confused by it's operation. Maybe you can shed some light on the subject. What I do not understand is when you are stationary and increase the rpm's using the hand throttle how do you control the forward movement? By the gas pedal? Do you brake to stop? How do you stop if it's still revving high? How in the heck do you change gears? I am most interested in the power gain that you all seem to get with this device. Also, once it's installed do you have the option of not using it? Thanks in advance for your feedback.</p>

Regards Mannie</p>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Hello & Good Day Mannie,</p>

First, like you, I have purchased one....YET, not installed it, !!!! BUT ON THE OTHER HAND >>> Have rode in several that had them. </p>

Forward movement is done threw the fuel pedal, the fuel and tranny cables are seperate ... And you stop just like you would normally. The engine is still at reving up. To change gears, just stop and put in another gear, don't think you even have to pull your rpms down to do this. ( don't remember ).... From what I understand, you do have the option of not using it. </p>

The understand the power gain is from the point that the pressure is already up and going when one engages the pedal. For it does seem to give the RTV more power, I've seen it !!!! </p>

Some of the other members that DO have the hand throttle kit could answer this better than I >>>></p>

..... two guns </p>

</p>

I installed the hand throttle on my 900 a while back...It is just a cable that separately controls the engine speed when pulled. It does not change any of the operation of the RTV in any way. Its handy in situations where you would want to keep the engine speed up and control the ground speed with the pedal. Installation is quick and simple. When not in use, the operation of the engine rpm revert to normal. Also if the throttle is pulled to say half engine speed and the pedal is depressed to the point that exceeds the hand throttle speed, then the pedal takes over control.</p>

When i purchased my RTV i had the dealer adjust it to where when you let off of teh gas pedal it doesnt stop like most do, but it doesnt keep rolling like a car either, it just gradually slows down, the way i like it. Will the hand throttle kit make it automaticly brake when i let off the gas? (i do not want this) and how much is this kit for the 900?</p>

The hand throttle only allows you to control the engine speed andis not linked to the transmission cable. It will not alter the way your machine currently behaves...Merely allows you to control the engine speed separate from the pedal if you so choose. The RTV behaves normally with it, it merely gives you the option of having the the engine rpm locked at a chosen rpm if desired. </p>

The cost is less than $100....It cost me about $70 from the dealer.</p>

i am also confused on the purpose of this hand throttle. Say if i was stuck somewhere woud it help to get me out? Would i have the ability to turn it off so my machine runs the way it does now?</p>

The hand throttle is an easy to install item. Save the $60/hr and do it yourself. </p>

When the hand throttle is not in use the RTV will behave the way it does right now.</p>

Can't really see how it would help get you unstuck though....unless you think having the engine rpms up before attempting to move will be of any help.</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It only takes a few minutes to install. Tools required are something like an adjustable wrench and .... I think that's about it.</p>

Imagine if you will a tractor or ZTR or something where the engine RPMs are completely independent of the vehicles tranny. That's what this does.</p>

</p>

Mannie

Hi Kanook! Thanks for your and everyone else's feedback. I was plowing snow the other day with my RTV900 and locked the the rear differential for maximum traction. I got into a jam and had to go back and forth while turning several times to get unstuck and make a U turn. Whenever the machine got fully stuck it seemed to bog down. The wheels would not spin (mind you I had about 250 lbs of logs on the back). I could feel the engine peter out and the rpm's lower. Then nothing....no more tire movement. My question to you is with the hand throttle set to up the rpm's will this get me through this problem of "not enough power" to spin the wheels? Thanks in advance for your reply.</p>

Regards</p>

Mannie</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mannie,</p>

For the situation you describe, I back off the number of turning wheels. If I drop the Diff Lock or put it back in 2WD, I can get a lot more to the tires. It's that old 4x4 trick. If you put a 4x4 behind your rear tires, it'll climb over it in 2WD. Put it in 4WD and it'll just sit there.</p>

[quote user="Mannie"] My question to you is with the hand throttle set to up the rpm's will this get me through this problem of "not enough power" to spin the wheels?[/quote]</p>

I believe BCZoom nailed it...I doubt the hand throttle would help in what you describe...On a different forum (tractorbynet) one of the contributors describes a proceedure to adjust the transmission servo valve that makes the transmission (hydro) more agressive in putting the power to the wheels.</p>

Been pushing snow with mine also..I got lots of power getting to the wheels so my servo valve must be dialed in pretty good. Now if I could just figure out a way to shuttle back and forth without having to fight with that shifter................</p>

Keifer

Gold Site Supporter
Hi All: Happy New Year.</p>

Not to muddy up the issue of the locking hand throttle but I have a question somewhat related. Just looking for your insight on this one.</p>

I understand the RTV's do not have a tachometer. Would it be a good idea to have one?</p>

I have a tach on my F-250, Harley motorcycle and John Deere tractor. I use them all the time to see what the engine is doing and/or to shift gears. Piston engine airplanes all have tachometers. </p>

Has anyone thought to install an aftermarket tachometer in their RTV?</p>

Keifer, a RTV wannabe</p>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Keifer,</p>

Like all my other equipment, I just use an RPM that feels and sounds right. I do look at the RPMs on the tractor but that's just for the heck of it and/or my personal reference.</p>

Another thought/point on the hand throttle. You lift the knob to increase RPM's to a general area. You then twist the knob for fine-tuning the RPM's to exactly what you want.</p>

</p>

</p>

Mannie

Good feedback. Thanks. Appreciate it. I know what you mean. The more wheels you have engaged the less power available.</p>