front drive shaft

tap rtv

<P mce_keep="true">I know it's on here but I can't seem to find it, my front drive shaft started making the worst noise I have ever heard. I put in an auction about three week's ago I did not drive it for a couple of weeks when I picked it up and brought it home it felt like the drive shaft was going to fall out. What do I do to fix this problem? Thanks for your help</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
<P mce_keep="true">I would be a finding out what happened at the auctions with my machine if it wasn't that way went It was brought up there. </P>

tap rtv

<P mce_keep="true">I know the auction co. very well, I cleaned it up before I took it down there I pressure washed the under carrige did not know if I messed somethig up?</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
<P mce_keep="true"> Don't believe the pressure washin' had anything to do with it , might be something to do with the 1700 hrs. [;)]</P>
<P mce_keep="true"><FONT size=2></FONT><FONT color=#ff0000><FONT size=4> <FONT face=JohnHancock>~~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></FONT></FONT></P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
<P mce_keep="true"> Sure would be nice if Kubota would put some grease alemites fittings on the joints so folks could keep 'em a little longer ...... Don't care what some companies says about " permanent packed " & " maintence free " universal joints, nothing is better than keeping great quality grease in them things. </P>
<P mce_keep="true"><FONT size=2></FONT><FONT color=#ff0000><FONT size=4> <FONT face=JohnHancock>~~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></FONT></FONT></P>

tap rtv

<P mce_keep="true">I'm not much of a mechanic,can I take it apart and put grease on the splines or do I have to take it to my dealer and get it fixed?</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
<P mce_keep="true">Check the bearing under the seat floorboardwhere the front driveshaft meets the rear shaft. When mine went out, I had somewhere around those number of hrs. There was bad vibration and then it came apart. My bearing had to beordered butwas easy to put on. Did it myself.This is a good time to check out the driveshafts ,because they all have to be taken down to change this bearing. Have you ever replaced the driveshaft/ujoints? I have replaced the front once myself and the rear before the warranty went out by the dealer.Right now I am waiting on the rear wheelbearings after having to replace the rear wheel ujoints. I should have overnited and paid extra shipping and I would have had them by now.[:S] Keep us informed. Bordercollie[&]</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
<P mce_keep="true">Tap. If I can do this then you can sure do it!! First let's make sure what is wrong, Get under there and tell us what you see and feel. Look for the bearing I described in the previous post. It is sort of egg shaped and the front driveshaft connects to the rear one there. How much slack is in the shaft u joints ? My front onehad enough play to pinch you finger where it shouldn't even wobble. Bordercollie[&]</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
<FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>After you sell that machine, are you planning on another RTV ? 1100 ?</FONT></P>

<FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3><FONT size=4><FONT color=#ff0000><FONT face=Arial> </FONT><FONT face=JohnHancock>~~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT></P>

tap rtv

<P mce_keep="true">I will probably get another 900, I have a friend who buys one per year for his cattle farm writes it off in two years thenI get lucky enough to buy them at a pretty good price, I dont think he has bought an 1100 yet but I can't wait to get my hands on one if it is as good as a 900. Whats going on with the flooding? Thanks for all your help.</P>

tap rtv

<P mce_keep="true">Thanks for the help it is the bearing you were talking about, how long did it take you to put in in? What part of MS. are you from?</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
<FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3> Tap RTV,</FONT></P>

<FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3> Thanks for asking about the water situation ......... Started falling about two days ago, slowly, but it's headed in the right direction.... Think it has fell maybe 3 - 4 inches so far...... THANK GOD !!!!</FONT></P>

<FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT><FONT color=#ff0000><FONT size=4><FONT face=Arial> </FONT><FONT face=JohnHancock>~~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT></P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
<P mce_keep="true">[quote user="tap rtv"]

Thanks for the help it is the bearing you were talking about, how long did it take you to put in in? What part of MS. are you from?</P>

[/quote]</P>

Always pay attention to bordercollie, that member has more hours on the RTV I believe than any other on the forum. </P>

Bordercollie has done seen all the nut & bolts of their machine !!!! That unit has seen some work on that property !!!!</P>

<FONT size=4><FONT color=#ff0000> <FONT face=JohnHancock>~~~~~~ Two Guns ~~~~~~</FONT></FONT></FONT></P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
<P mce_keep="true">This bearing is one of the easiest to replace . I believe my ex dealer charged about 32$ for it plus 1/2 price overnite shipping.I can't say exactly how long it took me to do this maybe an hr or less.?What you have to do is take the bolts out that holds the bottom plate on along with the bearing and then it will sort of drop down. take a good mental picture of how it comes apart ,in just the right order for you will have to put it back in similiar fashionand also you won't be able to get the shafts on it if you bolt it back up first. If I remember correctly,I sort of laid it all out and raisedthe bearing and shafts up as one. Then bolted it on. I remember something about making sure the pin holes in the ujoint yoke/driveshaft were all lined up and properly placed by using a punch.At first,I thought these holeswere lined up but were actually missing the mark. I stuck my little finger in the u joint yoke and could feel the pin!! I am sure common sense will get you thru this.It sounds harder than it is because of my terrible directions!! Other members feel free to add info or some pictures. In regards to location,I live about 25 miles from Jackson in NW Madison county a few miles from the Big Black River.{ Yazoo county line }. Good Luck! Keep us informed .Bordercollie</P>

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
<P mce_keep="true">Thanks Two Guns, I learn something everyday ..mostly from my mistakes. I just heard on the news that there are 855,000 acres of farmland under water in the areas near you. I worry about our row croppers.How is the future looking for the crops in your area? I hope thosefarmers that havealready booked their corn {that has flooded} can find some recoarse so they won't have to buy inflated $corn to replace it with at the elevator. We are losing too many farms already. Take Care. Bordercollie[&]</P>