First Snow Plowing Experience With X900

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
adjust the pressure relief poppet so that when you push the brake peddle it will relieve the transmission pressure and make gear changes easy. some models have a knob on the dash that does the same thing

Doc, I finally got a few days off and have some pics for you. The first two are when I was plowing during the snow storm. The second three are the plow, frame, and attachment point.
Snow Plow (2).jpgSnow Plow 3.jpgSnow Plow.jpgSnow Plow Frame.jpgSnow Plow Attachment Point.jpg

Reactions: Doc

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
Doc, I finally got a few days off and have some pics for you. The first two are when I was plowing during the snow storm. The second three are the plow, frame, and attachment point.
It appears like your bumper mount for plow is backwards, plow pin interface should be forward, facing out.

Last edited:
See link below.
The way yours is installed will no longer allow you to install a 2'' hitch plug, hole is not aligned.
Much appreciated! I was able to get a 2" hitch installed but it was a very tight fit requiring me to loosen the bumper mount bolts to get it in and out. This should make it easier. I know the dealer is having trouble getting employees like most businesses these days so I bet an inexperienced mechanic put it on incorrectly. I saved your link so that I would have a copy of the installation instructions.

jbiniak

Good job.
We got 8 inches here in SE Ohio. I used my Kubota Grand L 3010 to push it out of the way with a 5' blade.
Would love to put a blade on my RTV x1100c but I'd have a hard time justifying that expense due to the lack of snow we get. I plowed once last year and so far once this year. The 2 or 3 years prior to that I did not have to plow at all. Snowfalls were 1 or 2 inches and that was it.

I'm curious how you handle the gravel part of your drive with the blade. I cannot use my blade facing forward on my gravel. Tears it all up. I have to reverse it and drag it backwards. Gravel stays in place but so does some snow. It clears it enough to drive on but sure could be better.

And if you don't mind, ball park price of adding a blade to your RTV please.

I have a x1100c and also live in an area where we usually don't get a lot of snow However this year we been barried with snow and ice I have a Kubota l3350 w/o cab tractor with a back blade with wind chill in single digits I have decided to get ready and plow in comfort using my RTV Like you I can't see paying thousands of dollars for something I may not use..I bought a 72" Moose RM4 plow yesterday at auction for $160.00 a mount will cost me $94.00 on ebay I will have to buy a winch or make a lift system for it but that will only cost about $200.00 so you see you can add a plow for $500.00.if you are at all handy you can do this. I am now going to build a snow blower for the RTV using a junk yard or auction blower mount a gasoline engine on it and mount to the RTV this should cost around $200.00 to $500.00 Oh by the way my drive is 1/4 mile gravel plus another 500' to the barn.

Westfield

Before I bought my Kubota used an ATV with a plow. I had the same problem with gravel on part of my driveway. I went to Farm & Fleet and the bought a hard 3/4"x4x8 rubber horse stall floor mat. I cut a piece the length of the plow x about 6" you use the existing bolt holes. You only need to let about a 1/4" overhang the plow edge and it lasted a long time. When it wears out use the other side. Flip the rubber over and use the same mounting holes.

Attachments

• 20200221_124343.jpg
    20200221_124343.jpg
    775.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200221_124343.jpg
    20200221_124343.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 6
I turned the bumper bracket around but it was bent and I ended up having to hammer it back into shape to get it to fit. I'm unsure if the bracket was bent when I got it or using it while installed incorrectly caused it to bend.

While I had the bracket off I tried to install a 2"x 2" trailer hitch into the opening and had to tap it in and out with a rubber hammer. Even lubrication did not help. Several different hitches were tried and they are all extremely tight so evidently my X900 has not been manufactured correctly to specs.

After repairing the bent bracket I had to sand and repaint it. It seems to fit good now but I'm not sure what to do about the tight receiver channel. It may be easier just to get a dedicated trailer hitch and grind down the insert so that it fits the receiver channel. It wouldn't take a lot of grinding and I'm sure it would still support more weight that my machine can handle.

Find someone that has a Mill and take .010 off on top and 1 side, repaint and it will fit nicely.
Sounds good. Don't know anyone with a mill but I'm pretty good with a grinder. Probably my most economical alternative. Machine shops are pretty expensive around here.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You're welcome. Hope you enjoyed Gatlinburg. About an hour and a half from where I live.
We did enjoy Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge during the week. Since it was a holiday weekend with Presidents day it was packed on the weekend. Jam packed. We got out of town and drove over to Cherokee, then on to Maggie Valley. Breathtaking scenery. Love the area. Hope to ride our Honda Goldwing Trike in that area later this year. Bridal Veil Falls is high on our list of destinations, and of course the blue ridge parkway. Beautiful country down that way.

geohorn

SUPER Site Supporter
I was last in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge just-after the wildfires a couple years ago. Has the area recovered well…?

We did enjoy Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge during the week. Since it was a holiday weekend with Presidents day it was packed on the weekend. Jam packed. We got out of town and drove over to Cherokee, then on to Maggie Valley. Breathtaking scenery. Love the area. Hope to ride our Honda Goldwing Trike in that area later this year. Bridal Veil Falls is high on our list of destinations, and of course the blue ridge parkway. Beautiful country down that way.
If you travel the Blue Ridge Parkway, I highly recommend Linville Falls and Linville Gorge sometimes known as "Grand Canyon of the East". Fantastic photo ops.

Attachments

• 20170517_085747.jpg
    20170517_085747.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20170825_122426.jpg
    20170825_122426.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: Doc
I was last in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge just-after the wildfires a couple years ago. Has the area recovered well…?
Very little evidence left of the fire. At the time of the fire my cousin had 25 acres about a half mile from Dollywood. Most of his wooded area burned but thankfully his home was spared. Due to drought conditions, that was a tense time for all of East TN and West NC.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes it sure seems it has recovered nicely. I was there right after the fires and saw so many burnt out cabins, just chimneys left standing. Sad. Didn't see that this time. They've rebuilt those and more. So much construction still going on. The cabin we stayed in was new. The original one was caught in the fire. So the place was like new. So many cabins on the hillsides and all of them appeared rented, in February. Amazing. The place is booming and so much stuff to do. Something for everyone.