Extra lights and blown fuse

kas1263

I have installed two fog lights on my 900, and had them hooked up to my headlights. After a few minutes I would blow the headlight fuse. Is there anyway to hook the fog lights to the headlights, so they come on at the same time, without blowing a fuse. [*-)]

kas1263@ 49 hours

ez chair

If you know the amp draw on the fog lights that will help. I will assume you conected them directly to the headlight wire. You need to place a power relay in the circuit. You power the relay apply circuit from the headlight wire. A seperate power wire then attaches to the relay from keyed power source. Make sure you have afuse in this circuit as this is the power source for the fog lights. Then fog light wire attaches to the output terminal of the relay. Power from headlight wire is used only to trip relay which is minimal. I'm guessing your fog lights draw 10 to 15 amps. Relay availible at any auto store. 20amp relay approx. $10.

Deerlope

Run a seperate wire from a power source fuse it, go thru a switch to the fog lights. Just be sure to use the correct size fuse for the size wire that you are using.

ez chair

How do they turn on automaticly with the headlights? If you want to turn them on seperately I totally agree with you. I didn't ask why he wanted them to turn on automaticly.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I WILL !!!</P>

kas1263 </P>

Why would you want them to turn on automaticly ? </P>

Thanks,</P>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2> <FONT face=JohnHancock color=#ff0000 size=5>>>> Two Guns >>></FONT></FONT></DIV>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
i like to run all my stuff straight to the battery or run another nain hot wire up to where i need to branch off. but the main thing it to always put a main fuse at the battery conectioni would go like 35/40 amp then you branch off of that and you run your smaller stuff like lights and you run another inline fuse on that like a 15amp or whatever it needs it might be a 10 amp but put one. but what i'm sayin is i would run straight to the battery with the lights and put a inline fuse at the battery connection.

kas1263

In these eastern Kentucky mountains on a dark night any extra light is helpful. I just thought it would be cool [H] to have everything turn on at once.

Kas1263 @ 49 hours

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
kas123............</P>

For me, having the option to turn off or on the various accessories is WAY lots cooler. Even the vehicle manufacturers see the need to turn off or on fog or driving lights as needed.</P>

As stated above, you can easily install a relay that does what YOU want. The "switch wire" goes to the headlight switch with the actual power wire for the lights going back to a hot terminal. This hot terminal can be a circuit that goes to the battery that is large enough to run other accessories or directly to the battery itself. </P>

I really suggest that you go for a central "bus" someplace in the cab that allows you to run other "toys" or must haves.</P>

I made a "gang connector" with a hot wire going to the battery. From this I am allowed to run fused circuits to individual items ie: driving lights, bed flood, rear under the bed plug for lighting or spreader, radio, etc............</P>

These all go to a lighted panel with illuminated switches just above the driver. </P>

</P>

kas1263

OK, this is what I did. I just wired the lights to the battery with a switch and fuse in between. The lights work great with no blown fuses.

Thanks for the input.

Kas1263

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Happy you've got it going your way !!! Your on a roll, what are we going to wire next ?

MRBASS

I chose to add my own fuse box when i installed my lights on the front. The fuse box is supplied straightfrom the battery thru a breaker. I popped the cover off of it for a quick picture while ago.I have 2 more lights for the rear of the roof that will get powered thru this box if i ever get around to installing them.. I never liked the idea of tapping the factory wires on anything so I always just add my own box. That way if there is ever a problem the machine is usually not effected by my wiring..</P>

</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Now that's using your head ....</P>

And by the way, Mr. Bass, like your AVATAR, that's looks great !!!!</P>