DPF Fault and what can I do.

John Luzietti

New member here, recently bought a nice 2018 Massey 1734E. The previous owner forgot to tell me the tractor had a DPF fault. After trying to get it to run longer than 25 seconds I had to trailer this machine 160 miles to the only Massey dealer in New Mexico. He reset the codes and the tractor is just fine. There is no warning when the tractor will throw another fault, nor is there any warning should the tractor is going into limp mode. This particular year does not have a forced regen button. The only way you can delete this fault code is by a Massey dealer. If someone has any information on this machine I would love to hear it.
Thanks in advance.

John Luzietti

Its worse than that, The loader controller is also broken. I hauled the tyractor 160 miles one way to the only Massey ndealer in NM. He reset the computer, I worked it 8 hours over the weekend and the regen yellow light came on, I let the tractor run at 2800 Rpm for 1 hour and the light was still on. The exhaust got very hot, so it was doing something. When the loader control is repaired, I plan to run it at high rpm until it does something.
I know why the previous owner sold it.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That DPF crap is a nightmare. Sorry for the troubles. I searched the internet to try to find an bit of help for you but all I found was others with the same issue. You are not alone, but I doubt that makes you feel any better.
Hopefully you can find a closer certified mechanic even though he is not a massey dealer.

John Luzietti

Yeah, I got the the loader controls working as they should today. The regen warning is still there, but tomorrow I plan to keep the tractor over 2000 rpm until the warning lamp goes out. Running an engine at 85% throttle just breaks my heart. I believe in asking for the amount of throttle to see the job done. No dealer would ever do a delete on the DPF system. The only company that sells delete software is located in Canada, where its not illegal to delete a DPF system. I just bought this 2018 tractor from an auction house. It had 751 hours on the clock, thats less than 19 weeks of use in 6 years, that's a little over 10 hours of use per week. This machine has been a nightmare, and actually amazing just how many dealers do not know much about it.

Reactions: Doc

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Our John Deere tractors with DPF have been an expensive pain. We have spent thousands on one of them. It needs to do the burn off or it will cost $$$$$. When our dash light comes on now, showing what looks like a tiny radiator with air blowing on it, we let the tractor run at a higher speed until the cycle is finished. Takes at least 30 m sometimes an hour.. I pray it doesn't come on when I'm loading the feed wagon ( dusty) because I put a thin sheet over the radiator during that loading to keep out the heavy dust. If it does come on with the sheet over the hood, the tractor will overheat. Hate it just hate it. Make sure your radiator is clean and air filter too.
After your own discretion and studying on it , consider this stuff.. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H8V5T4G?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder_k0_1_17&amp=&crid=MHC8ORLBLCU&sprefix=archoil+ar6400-d+&th=1

Last edited:

John Luzietti

Thank you for the reply, You really use your machines, I am a hobbist and after the inital job will probably use this thing 3 hours a week.
Putting a DPF on a 30 HP tractor is over kill. There is only 1 massey dealer in NM, and it's 160 miles away. the tractor was in limp mode and I had to take it to Gallup, nm. One whole day spent. My regen light is on, so today I plan to run it until it disapears.