Bleeding the Brakes

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Right now am in the midst of getting around to a 500 hr fluid change. Money is tight here as always, so buying the manual is a bit much. Anyway, for an 05 900 the owners manual talks about drainingchanging the brake fluid; but to see the dealer. I need to pull the tires to change out the hub fluid in the front so thought I could tackle the brake fluid at the same time.

The question is: Is the bleeder type valve inside of the wheel hubs or what?.....Am used to bleeding autos and MCs which have the little check type valve on the wheel cylinder but do NOT see one on the RTV.................

Some thoughts?.........Yes, I need to bleed the brakes because for last 100 or so hours the brake pedal goes about half way down on the first stab and then on the second or more goes down perhaps an inch.........thanks guys.......Dennis

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
D&D, If you wish to pm a fax # I will send you a copy of that info. But a bleeder is pictured on top of the front wheels and one is pictured on the rear several inches from the black plug and in between the 2 lines on the side. It almost looks like a grease fitting) . My internet is only half working (bad modem from Hughesnet) so I will try later when repaired (I hope)to see if I need to fax that Info Good Luck, Bordercollie

LETHAL GTS

1. Jack up the front side of machine and remove the front wheels.
2. Connect a clear plastic hose (4) to the bleeder (3), running the
other end of the hose into a container.
3. Remove the brake fluid reservoir cap (1).
4. Fill the reservoir (2) with new brake fluid.
5. Temporarily install the reservoir cap.
6. Open the bleeder.
7. Then, pump brake pedal (5) and hold it.
8. Close the bleeder and release the brake pedal.
9. Repeat the previous step for each wheel.
10.When brake fluid changing is finished, add the fluid to the upper
level in the reservoir.
11.After changing the fluid, check the brake for good braking power,
no brake drag, and no fluid leakage.
12.If necessary, bleed the air from the brake lines.

PM me your email address.
I have something for you that I think you'll find very useful. :starbucks:

Last edited:

rellis3640

Bleeding Brakes

Great info there Lethal GTS, curious if that we should know if there are are any other items that should be changed or looked at in this process.

LETHAL GTS

Great info there Lethal GTS, curious if that we should know if there are are any other items that should be changed or looked at in this process.

• Use only DOT-3 brake fluid from a sealed container.
Conforms to motor vehicle safety standard No. 116. Using
other type of oil ruins synthetic resin or rubber installed in
brake system components, and may cause brake failure.
• Avoid contamination of the brake fluid. Thoroughly clean
area around the filler cap before removing. Do not open the
brake fluid reservoir cap unless absolutely necessary.
■ NOTE
• The fluid level must be checked several times during the
fluid change and replenished as necessary. If the fluid in the
reservoir runs completely out any time during fluid
changing, air bleeding must be done since air will have
entered the line.
• Start with the rear either side and finish with the front either
side.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks again..........Does one to drain the fluid do it one wheel at a time???

I totally understand the bleeding process. On a MC one pumps and pumps while adding new fluid to the reservoir until the hose that one puts down in a jar of fluid shows JUST clean fluid coming out.......

Does one pull all 4 wheels at the same time to do this???......I guess I need to get out there and crawl around more as I looked at the rear the other day and saw NOTHING that to me looks like a bleeding type valve.......Dennis

LETHAL GTS

Thanks again..........Does one to drain the fluid do it one wheel at a time???

I totally understand the bleeding process. On a MC one pumps and pumps while adding new fluid to the reservoir until the hose that one puts down in a jar of fluid shows JUST clean fluid coming out.......

Does one pull all 4 wheels at the same time to do this???......I guess I need to get out there and crawl around more as I looked at the rear the other day and saw NOTHING that to me looks like a bleeding type valve.......Dennis

Dude, you got mail.

Yes you are on the right track. I would put it up on four stands for simplicity sake. Also, be sure and check your rotors and pads if you are going to have it up on stilts anyway. It's the perfect time to do this.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
BC.......thanks BUD.........is that a pic of a wheel cyclinder??????.............No wonder I couldnt find it.....or is that someway the master cylinder????????

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
D&D, Brake cylinder there. the master is at the reservoir. I've never adjusted them though. I'm just reading out of my manual. I have over 3400 hrs on my unit now and still like it. Bordercollie

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
A wheel cylinder over on the engine..........OK.........no wonder I couldnt find them and YES I know now where they are....Actually, my wife and I were greasing the thing the other day.....her task while I changed the oils/fluids.....she came across the left one, flipped off the rubber cap and proceeded to get the gun on what she thought was the zerk.........NO WONDER SHE COULDNT PUMP GREASE INTO IT........I had a booger of a time getting that grease tip off..........lolol......so yes, I am familiar with it in a round about fashion..............NEVER would I have figured that to be a wheel clinder over on the engine.............thanks guys.......Dennis

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Went to the site.............WHICH kind or what for Kubota RTV??????????

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Bud.......Actually it is HERS......I got kind of sorry for her carrying bales by hand or feed bags the couple hundred yards from the road down to the barn where she tends her goats. God blessed us with a good payin video job to pay for it outright. So instead of the gov getting the money she got an RTV farm deduction............

lololol........and I got another vehicle/machine to maintain......God is good......Dennis

minimack

Anyone have a photo of the location of the FRONT brake bleed nipple? Not sure why the Kubota owner's manual is so cryptic about this part of the maintenance schedule. Must be a liability issue for them or they are just trying to increase service appointments for their dealers.

Mark.Sibole

If your brakes arnt mushy and the fluid looks in good condition why try to fix it if it aint broke.My machine is 6 plus years old and have never had a problem with brakes.They still solid and fluid looks clean .