biodiesel

heehaw

is anyone else running bio-diesel in your RTV? i started using it last year: had less than45 hours on it, but still had to change the fuel filter within a tank full of 50-50 mix of the stuff: i have been running a little higher mix this summer, but will go back to the 50-50 when the temps start to drop. i still don't have many hours on it, but so far it seems to work fine. heehaw

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
bczoom,</P>

Just curious , how far back in years ( Kubota engine manufactoring) can a person go with the bio-diesel ? In other words, can a person who purchased a RTV when it first came out, use bio >>></P>

Or does it just apply to the 2006's up ? This was asked here at my shop the other day and I just stood dazed. I didn't know !</P>

G

The only reason that they've only okayed Bio to B5 is because they have to make that statement for the entire product line. There is no reason the standard engines should not be fine at B20 or beyond. They picked B5 because some fuel injected engines where having their seals eaten out by the fuel. Some rubber fuel lines can also cause problems.

griffman

In my diesel equipment I run both off road and ultra low sulfur fuel. In either case I add stanadyne all season additive to each tankful. It issupposed to displace moisture, lubricate the injector pump and raise the cetane level ( which should improve the fuel burn ) or so I have been told. I am also the guy who has been running full synthetic amsoil in my 01 powerstroke since early on. My wife says I tend to go overboard on the maintenance and care issues.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
<TABLE class=CAPageContent id=_ctl0__ctl1_bcr_PostForm___ComposePage style="DISPLAY: block; WIDTH: 100%; HEIGHT: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0>
<TBODY>
<TR>
<TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">
<DIV id=_ctl0__ctl1_bcr_PostForm___Reply>griffman,</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV> As you know, you can't go overboard on the maintenance & care. I have folks around my place says that I change the oil, clean , lubricate my items to much. But, I don't ever have any trouble out of my machinery !!! You take care of your equipment, it will take care of you ~~~~</DIV>
<DIV> I have never used that full synthetic amsoil, I heard it was some good stuff..... Like you, I believe in using additives in the fuel to help keep moisture out & lubrication. I also always keep my fuel tanks full, to help keep condensation out !!!!</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV> Warm days & cools nights, condensation will work up in a fuel tank quick !!!</DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
We don't have home heating oil down here. Just curious, how does the RTV run with it .</P>

Is that fuel is tax freelke our farm fuel ? Also, that fuel ( home heating ) seems that it would be "richer" , or should I say, have more oil content in it to help the engine lubricate better >>>>>>> ? <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<</P>

Is there any other additives used when you use just heating oil ?</P>

TwoNFordboy

I see you mentioned home heating oil. While it may certainly work, I have heard from two Kubota mechanics (independently of one another) mention that heating oil has clogged the fuel filters in several BX tractors and RTVs. In the end make sure you are getting really clean fuel into the RTV tank.

As an example, we just replaced our 2-275gal heating oil tanks due to exterior rust. While the furnaces have always run well, there was a bunch of sludge in the tanks.

Otherwise, I applaud your just avoidance of road taxes.

DigOrange

Just wondering - In Missouri we have "red diesel" for ag use. I just assumed it was nationwide. It is regular diesel with red dye and you don't pay any road tax. For me that reduces the price around 40 cents a gallon. I have a 100 gal tank that I rigged with a harness to pick it up with the loader (Kubota) and sit in the back of the Duramax (Kubota wanna be). A couple gas stations and the local Coop sell it.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="DigOrange"]Just wondering - In Missouri we have "red diesel" for ag use. I just assumed it was nationwide.[/quote]
That's the same stuff here and it's what is used for home heating oil (in our area). Basically, it's for homes, farm equipment... but DO NOT get caught with it in your on-road vehicles. That's a seriously nasty fine around here (and you normally loose that vehicle).

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Is the RTV the only thing you use off-road diesel in . .... It would not be worth the trouble to purchase that much at one time ( farm fuel ) , for it would be a long, long time for you to use that much in only the RTV. And,, myself, I wouldn't want to use in the RTV or anything else that has been sitting up in a tank that long. If you had farm equipment that used it up in great bulks like we do at the plantation, well, that would be ok, for you would always have a freash batch there waiting for you ...</P>

Just a thought ~~~~~~</P>

DigOrange

I only have about 30 acres so I have a Kubota 3710 with a loader that seems to get a lot of work just maintining the road. I cut about 10 acres of grass with my Kubota ZD21, and of course the RTV gets a lot of use especially in the winter if we get a lot of snow. So... I usually run through the 100 gallons in 6-8 months. I have not had a problem with moisture as it sits inside my shed above the floor and has a water block/filter on it.

This brings up a good topic. What is the shelf life of diesel? I'm a firefighter and we were having a lot of trouble with protable engines and ware told by the fuel company that gas now has a shelf life of about 2 weeks (significant drop in quality starts at 2 weeks) . We have to keep stabilizer in all of the portable gas engines if we want them to work dependably. The trucks roll through enough diesel that it isn't a problem.

doggman

Home heating oil used to lack the lubricity component that is required for keeping the injection system from wear and galling.It was formulated for burning only. I don't know if that's still the case. </P>

Many years ago I worked in the Canadian arctic and sometimes all we could get was #2 heating oil for the main engine and auxillarieson a ship. We found that if we added a small amount of motor oil to the heating oil we wouldn't have the problems with the pumps and injectors. So, if I was running #2 heating oil today in a Kubota I'd add a little Marvel Mystery oil or a top lube to the mix just to be sure. </P>

InMissouri heating oil and off road fuel are not the same even though they can both be red. It just shows the Feds and law enforcement that highway tax has not been paid on the fuel. </P>

You are allowed to deduct the highway taxes from your income tax if you use highway fuelfor non-highway purposes. </P>

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="doggman"]Home heating oil used to lack the lubricity component that is required for keeping the injection system from wear and galling.It was formulated for burning only. I don't know if that's still the case.[/quote]
I believe it's a regional thing. Like gas, different parts of the country (due to state regulations) have different "formulas".

For the shelf life of gas, this site provides a good answer. (Basically, about 1 year)
http://www.chevron.com/PRODUCTS/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/longterm_gasoline/

Diesel has a longer shelf life (up to 2 years).

Both can vary depending on the quality of fuel, whether additives have been utilized (and which kind) as well as storage techniques.

Very small engines are the things that don't like fuel sitting in them. Their jets and such are so small that the smallest amount of fuel degradation can cause problems.

Although I haven't personally used it, I understand a product called PRI-D (or PRI-G for gas) can/does greatly increase the shelf life of fuel.

I used to store/retain large amounts of gas and diesel. My insurance company took exception to the amount of gas being stored so my bulk tank is gone. For diesel, between the tractor and RTV, I still don't need a lot so I've gone to 5-gallon cans. There's a gas station with an off-road diesel pump in the back so that's where I get it.

DigOrange

It seemed like every time I turned around I was out of fuel in something and making a road trip for fuel with 4 - 5 gallon cans. So when the 100 gallon tank came up cheap I jumped on it. I have pretty much purged my place of gasoline cans and LP tanks. Just wish I could get the motorized blender to run on diesel :)

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OK, since we've strayed away from the initial topic of biodiesel and are talking about fuel in general, I'm going to go off-topic a little further.

Our grocery store offers a discount on fuel.
For every $50 spent, they give you 10 cents off a gallon of gas.
For new prescriptions, they give you $1.00 off a gallon of gas. I think you get 30 cents for a prescription refill.
You can buy gift cards for most any store there as well. For every $50 card, you also get 10 cents off (and sometimes, 20 cents off)

So, we quickly rack up these points. Groceries don't add up much but with kids, it's easy to get a couple new prescriptions. If I have any big projects coming up, I go in there and by Home Depot or Lowes gift cards by the thousands of dollars.

OK, so where I'm going with this is that using the perks above, it works best for me to use the 5-gallon cans. I take 3 or 4 cans at a time, fill those up and then top off the truck (there's a 30 gallon limit per visit). With the savings, it's not unusual for me to get <u>all 30 gallons</u> for a grand total of (drum roll please)... 27 cents. [:D] (Apparently, it doesn't know how to deduct the fraction of the penny of the pump price.

DigOrange

Now thats cool!!! That HAS to feel good to bring home that much fuel for the RTV for less than the price of a Snickers bar.

BTW - I was playing with the settings like updating my location (just down the street from the cathouse) and must have changed my name from DigOrange to E2. Need to set it back.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="DigOrange"]Now thats cool!!! That HAS to feel good to bring home that much fuel for the RTV for less than the price of a Snickers bar.[/quote]
Actually, they don't have diesel... yet.
My ZTR goes through a lot of gas and is the main recipient of the 5-gallon cans of gas.

OK, I haven't figured it out yet but if you remember, tell me where the setting is to change your name.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
"OK, I haven't figured it out yet but if you remember, tell me where the setting is to change your name."

OK, I figured it out.