bending the door on 1100

razerface

My door does not seal correctly. On the drivers side, at the top,,in the rear corner. The frame looks like it was bent incorrectly at the factory. The radius on the cab is pushed out. This makes the seal on the door and the cab headliner, not fit. I can live with the liner,,,but the door lets snow and rain in the corner.

After staring at it,,,,I think the best fix is to heat up the corner of the plastic door,,,,bend it out (uncurl the edge) so it would reach out farther,,,then bend the tubing in (if needed) to press the seal against the frame.

What I want to know,,, has anybody ever taken a heat gun to the plastic door? Will it soften and bend? Will it crack or discolor?

If it has been done and it is easy,,,,i would rather not go back to the dealer.If not easy,,, I want them to break the window, not me.

cpsseals

WARRANTY! It's why we paid the big bucks...
Sounds like it might have taken a mighty hit in transit. Could be the cab that's damaged.
Document it with pictures and take it back so they can make it right.
Unless you rolled it, then take it to a body shop. Very expensive to replace but a good frame straightener should pull it true.

muleman RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gold Site Supporter
Would you try to fix a new car? Let the headache be the dealers. I have seen them do car doors by bending them but like you know already if they break it they fix it.

razerface

yes, i have fixed brand new trucks. If someone knows it is easy to bend the plastic and fix,,,i will have it done in 1 hour VS the dealer keeping the rtv for a week or longer.

I have already informed the dealer,,and they have seen it. Now i just have to decide whether to "fix or return" it.

Kanook

I can appreciate your reluctance to part with the RTV in the dead of winter for an undetermined period if you need it to cope with snow. I'd document the problem in pics and writing and defer the fix until spring at the dealer. Pain in the rear for sure but the dealer should fix this....I doubt you could get a satisfactory result by heating the door..Those 1100 doors seal tight and for the bucks you parted with for the unit you should get "new fit
" if it was delivered to you in this unsatisfactory condition.

ZZZ2D1

Site Supporter
HEY RAZER,
I have a great fix to remedy this, call me if you want.
My hands are bad today with weather, you can type the remedy later.
810-GO-RTV. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[mod hat on]
Razer - once you got his phone #, post saying so. I'm then going to edit or remove ZZZ's phone # from the public view. Damn spammers...
[mod hat off]

Don't do any remodel with the door. Have the dealer order a new one and sell me the sliding glass. Now were all happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cpsseals

Don't do any remodel with the door. Have the dealer order a new one and sell me the sliding glass. Now were all happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two problems solved with one stone, or birds in the hand, or a dead one in the bush... something like that...

razerface

here is a pic. Notice it fits perfectly except the corner,,where you can see the surface the seal SHOULD be hitting is exposed. From inside the cab,,,light shows

doorcorner.jpg

cpsseals

Looks like the plastic is buckled inside the circle... Might be an easy fix, but I'd still rather the dealer do it than myself.

Attachments

• doorcorner.jpg
    doorcorner.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 113

urednecku

No question about it...let the dealer fix it.
Unless you have lots more money than you need. In that case, send me that unit and buy yourself a new one that has fitting doors.:mrgreen::hide:

The curvature of the adjoining surfaces seems correct. Just bowed out a bit. Doesn't seem to serious. Block of wood near the latch and pressure in on the top very carefully. The glass is in the rubber molding so it will flex with the plastic outer surface. There should be bolts to separate the main frame also. I have bent car door hinges in the past that didn't have any adjustment and it worked out fine.

razerface

The curvature of the adjoining surfaces seems correct. Just bowed out a bit. Doesn't seem to serious. Block of wood near the latch and pressure in on the top very carefully. The glass is in the rubber molding so it will flex with the plastic outer surface.

the door does not need adjusted. It is not bowed out. It fits PERFECTLY everywhere EXCEPT the one corner. The plastic needs to grow outward, into the corner,,,,(see arrows)

doorcorner-2.jpg

How do you think the dealer service dept. is going to fix it? They will pressure fit it in to meet the seal. They will not order a new door because of a small misalignment issue. By the time you drink a cup of coffee in the showroom they will be running it out the back door ready to load on your trailer.
Your lucky... I have too much seal in my doors. They are hard to shut !

razerface

lol,,,,ok,,,i give

Are your doors different then mine? What does "pressure fit it in to meet the seal" mean? My seal is on the door.

the door does not need bent in,,,,,,it would have to magically grow into the corner to be longer. It does not reach the corner. See the pic? The only way I see if a new door is the same,,,is to heat the plastic until the lip with the seal on it can be " uncurled" in the corner to reach farther into the corner. THEN it may need bent.

If it was a 2 minute job, the dealer would have done it when they looked at it. They have no idea what to do to it. They claim to have never seen this before. The corner of the cab is incorrectly bent. The door does not fit,,and the headliner inside, shows the exact same misalignment.