Bed Rack

ovrszd

I'm going to build a bed rack in a few days. What I'm after is to strengthen the bed sides and especially create a "headache" rack at the front. Idea would be to haul stacked loads of wood without worrying about bowing the sides. And to pile on large loads of dirt without dirt falling down in the crack between the bed and back of the seat.

Construction material will be 1" square tubing and the headache rack covered with sheet metal. Sides would be 3-4 inches above the factory bed rail.

Anyone built anything like this or even remotely similar?? I'm open for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Wild Bill

I posted my rack build on a thread here. It has some similarities to what you are inquiring about.

7004630401_3261fc3da8.jpg" width="500" height="333" alt="IMG_1718"

I use mine more for brush but if I haul firewood I run a ratchet strap between the upper eye bolts on either side to keep sides from spreading outward. One thing I will say is that these things get awfully top heavy when loaded up with wood which makes them lean quite a bit even on gentle side hills. Be careful.

I like the idea of adding the headache rack. If I were to do it I would make the sides and rack in three pieces so that the rack drops into slots on the sides. It would be easier to install that way.

Reason being is that I like my sides, but they severely limit visibility. So I only put them on when I need them.

ovrszd

Good idea on the 3 piece thing.

It's all the hydraulic lift will do to dump a load of dirt now so might want to leave the headache rack all the time and add sides as needed.

Thanks for the tips. :)

Wild Bill

might want to leave the headache rack all the time and add sides as needed
That is even better. This would work for me too. Since I took these pictures of the rack I added a cab. So I no longer have the expanded metal between me and the load. Just the rear plexi window. Not good.

So I really need a headache rack now and I could modify my sides to mount into it.

Post pics of what you do, you'll likely beat me to it.

Note: there are at least 4 or 5 other people that posted pics of their sides on the linked thread in my first post. They may also be helpful for ideas.

71sschevelle

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Peanut is in the process of building me a set of rails with headache rack. Plan for rails to be 10 inches high with headache rack 22 inches talll. Hopefully he will have some pics in the near future.

D&D Farm

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Bill...... Really like your "Cargo Box" that you fabricated..... Good design and method that I had never thought of doing..... Cardboard and then fiberglass is an excellent way to mock up a design and finished product.....A little paint and off ya go....GOOD JOB.... God bless....Dennis

VA1100

Ovrszd,
Here is a picture of what I did, it has 3/8" Lexan in the front and 1/4" Lexan on the sides that overlap into the bed. The piece of aluminum tubing on the top back will lift off if not needed, but keeps the bed rails from being pushed out when loaded. Being clear Lexan it doesn't restrict view that bad.
Pete

Attachments

• NCM_0263.jpg
    NCM_0263.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 349

Wild Bill

Thanks Dennis,

That process was a pain. Turned out well enough but man...

Took a long time with all of the pours and the 30 min cure time of each pour. Might be better with a different epoxy or urethane? I just used a urethane that we always have around at work.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
to make the sides stronger you need to connect the side rails to the headache rack that will keep the sides from bowing out. I use solid 1" square stock for the ends to keep them from bending . also run a angle iron along the bottom to keep the bed sides straight. here is a thread of some rails I made for another member . I haven't started 71sschevell's bed rails yet gonna be a couple of days before I get some pics of his.hope the pictures help you out.

http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16392&highlight=rails

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
just wanted to let you guys know I have the sides made for 71sschevell and im making the headache rack i'll have pics up in a few days.

ovrszd

I always tell my Sons, give a man a pile of iron and the proper tools and you'll see inside his mind. Sometimes it ain't pretty..... :)

Attachments

• 20151006_191011 (1280x720).jpg
    20151006_191011 (1280x720).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 270
  • 20151006_190955_001 (1280x720).jpg
    20151006_190955_001 (1280x720).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 272
  • 20151007_092748 (1280x720).jpg
    20151007_092748 (1280x720).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 20151008_113304 (1280x720).jpg
    20151008_113304 (1280x720).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 272
  • 20151009_135933 (1280x720).jpg
    20151009_135933 (1280x720).jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 20151009_140001 (1280x720).jpg
    20151009_140001 (1280x720).jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 273

ovrszd

Nice rack!
I like how you incorporated the rear brace storage into the headache rack.

Thanks Bill.

So far it seems to work okay. I debated the location of the chainsaw. If stacking a very large load of wood it gets in the way. But I am on narrow timber trails a lot and knew I wouldn't like the saw hanging outside the machine. It's bolted on so can be moved later if needed.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
thanks buddy I wish I could work with wood the way you guys do.i can make anything out of iron but when it comes to working with wood forget it. my next door neighbors son works with wood he told me if I can make it out of iron I can make it out of wood too but I proved him wrong I can do some damage with wood lmao.if any of you guys want some rails let me know I can make them any size you want.no two sets are the same so that way you can't run into someone and they have the same thing you got. each set is made to what the customers wants to use them for.

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
I was gonna put a rail across the back over the tailgate but oversized beat me to it.lol also I heard someone mention they needed a tailgate if its rusted up or bent up mail it to me and i'll make a new one I'm always looking for projects.

ovrszd

thanks buddy I wish I could work with wood the way you guys do.i can make anything out of iron but when it comes to working with wood forget it. my next door neighbors son works with wood he told me if I can make it out of iron I can make it out of wood too but I proved him wrong I can do some damage with wood lmao.if any of you guys want some rails let me know I can make them any size you want.no two sets are the same so that way you can't run into someone and they have the same thing you got. each set is made to what the customers wants to use them for.

I don't do wood very well either.

What do you charge for a set of rails?

ovrszd

I was gonna put a rail across the back over the tailgate but oversized beat me to it.lol also I heard someone mention they needed a tailgate if its rusted up or bent up mail it to me and i'll make a new one I'm always looking for projects.

What do you add to your racks to prevent bed spread?