Antifreeze loss in reservoir?? X1100C

Challenger2

Hi All,

My 2014 X1100c has about 45hrs on it and I just noticed that the antifreeze reservoir is below the "Add" mark. It use to be midway up the canister between low and full. This is a closed system so where did it go? No leaks, no smoke, no sweet exhaust odor, oil is uncontaminated? It's probably missing about two cups. Could it have burped air from the system after all this time? :thankyou2:

VA1100

Challanger2, check the hose clamps on the lines going to the radiator in the front. I have a 2014 and had a very slight leak, never saw anything on the ground, but when I pulled the front skid plate I noticed the connection was wet. I believe there are four connections under the machine and they were all loose.
Pete

Nevadablue

My BX24 tractor had a lower radiator hose that the factory messed up. The hose clamp was not completely on the hose. I was able to remove it, drain the system and replace the clamp in the right place.

aurthuritis

Site Supporter
there was some discussion about a year ago of people loosing coolant. most people found the clamps to be a problem and some had bad hoses that delaminated and leaked through the hose itself. i had some coolant loss also and found a loose clamp. i had no coolant loss all summer long but just a day ago since the weather has cooled off i noticed my reservoir need some coolant. i added some and haven't had to add any more yet.

sunnyside

The coolant in my RTV-X1100C went down also when first new. It's fine now after about 200 hrs of use. Kubota shop mechanic told me it's normal for coolant to go down a little when new as coolant is replacing air in the system. I remember also some owners did actually have a slight coolant leak on early machines.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I have a 2014 X900 and noticed a tablespoon of coolant on the garage floor. I found a slight leak at the hose to metal tubing under the passenger seat. I tightened the clamps and thought I had it fixed, but it started up again a week or so later. While I sent the machine in to have a plow mounted I asked to dealer to check it out. They said they couldn't find anything wrong, but noticed the level of coolant in the reservoir was down a bit. I finally removed the clamps and replaced them. All is tight now. The clamps looked OK but it was obvious that they had "bottomed out" and would not tighten any more.

They leak slowly and not all the time! So it could have dripped while you are parked. Tighten all hose clamps in all locations. I don't see the leaks anymore but with over 450 hours on the machine I have to watch the coolant level. If it's filled to full it seems to leak more!

Challenger2

Thanks all for the replies!! :thumb:

I looked the machine over again at all the locations everyone mentioned and all seems fine. No apparent leaks, but I will still check clamp tightness. I filled it to the proper level and will keep an eye on it.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks all for the replies!! :thumb:

I looked the machine over again at all the locations everyone mentioned and all seems fine. No apparent leaks, but I will still check clamp tightness. I filled it to the proper level and will keep an eye on it.

I found two rubber hose to steel pipe joints leaking right when I took delivery of my machine. I changed the hose clamps and the slight drip stopped. However, after the summer of use (1600 miles) I found the coolant reservoir lower than it should be (below the low level). I haven't seen any leaks, nor can I smell coolant and the exhaust shows no moisture. It's going somewhere but where? With only a week left on the warranty I have registered this loss of coolant with my dealer with the hope that with this documentation any future problem will be covered.

sunnyside

I found two rubber hose to steel pipe joints leaking right when I took delivery of my machine. I changed the hose clamps and the slight drip stopped. However, after the summer of use (1600 miles) I found the coolant reservoir lower than it should be (below the low level). I haven't seen any leaks, nor can I smell coolant and the exhaust shows no moisture. It's going somewhere but where? With only a week left on the warranty I have registered this loss of coolant with my dealer with the hope that with this documentation any future problem will be covered.

Took my RTV-X1100c in for 200 hr service few mos ago and told them about coolant loss and having to add coolant even though there was no evidence of dripping on the concrete garage floor -- very similar to yours. Dealer service tech told me they had to replace a hose and a clamp (lower radiator iirc). He said it was damp at that joint. He said they went over/tightened all other clamps and indicated I would likely have to add a little coolant after running it a few hrs due to air trapped in the system since they had to drain it when replacing the hose. Anyways, I did have to add about 3/4 pint of coolant after about 15 to 20 hrs of use. I was really concerned at first but it's been fine ever since.

I think if I were you I'd check all the clamps to make sure they are tight and not leaking. IMO, the dealer should do that.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
I had coolant leaks on my 2014 X900 after a year and found the clamps needed tightening. Now - with 600 hours on my 2022 X1100C I have had the same problem. There were two major leaks: one at one of the connections of three hoses at a metal junction below the driver's seat and the other was at the thermostat housing. That one was a challenge to get to and to get a socket on. The only way to get to it is to take two of the belly pans off and contort your hands! I tightened all the clamps I could find and they could all be snugged up some.

Reactions: Doc