Adjusting front Struts on x900

628pm

Site Supporter
Do you need anything special to adjust the front struts on a x900? I had the heavy duty struts installed when I purchased my 2014 x900. With the Boss Vplow on the RTV, think I need it a little stiffer.

I need to break down and buy the service manual, are there any good deals on the manuals out there?

Tailrotor

You need a spanner wrench like this one I turned mine up all the way on my new 1100 it was easy but needed the spanner or strap wrench.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 288

VA1100

Tom,
Can you tell me what size spanner wrench that is, I had one to adjust the struts on my 1100, but it was a little too small and kept slipping off turning into a real knuckle buster. Were you able to adjust yours without jacking the rear end up to lessen the load on the springs, the shop manual says to do that, but I would like a softer ride when I'm not hauling wood, or don't have the blade on the front and don't always think about it until I'm in the woods. It would be handy to have it under the seat if they can be adjusted easily.
Merry Christmas to all my brothers and sisters and God Bless,
Pete

628pm

Site Supporter
Tom,
What is the part number of the wrench you use, I see it is from globalindustrial.com.

I would like to get one.

Thanks
Bill

628pm

Site Supporter
Looked a little closer, I believe the item number is T9FB331592, ordered one today.

Bill

Tailrotor

Tom,
Can you tell me what size spanner wrench that is, I had one to adjust the struts on my 1100, but it was a little too small and kept slipping off turning into a real knuckle buster. Were you able to adjust yours without jacking the rear end up to lessen the load on the springs, the shop manual says to do that, but I would like a softer ride when I'm not hauling wood, or don't have the blade on the front and don't always think about it until I'm in the woods. It would be handy to have it under the seat if they can be adjusted easily.
Merry Christmas to all my brothers and sisters and God Bless,
Pete

Va1100

The wrench in the picture is a 11/32 to 3 1/2 in which should work fine.

I have a smaller one that only goes to 2 1/2 inches and can be a knuckle buster which is what I used to adjust mine with. But I wear gloves when adjusting and had no problems.

I did jack the RTV up like the book says and adjusted one at a time it was still pretty tough with the smaller wrench and had to put my weight into it but I think the next size wrench I get it will be one or two sizes bigger 3 1/2 or up to 4 1/2.

Tailrotor

Tom,
What is the part number of the wrench you use, I see it is from globalindustrial.com.

I would like to get one.

Thanks
Bill

628pm

That was a picture I just pulled off the internet but that size will work I myself have a smaller one it goes up to 2 1/2 in. But mine also is a spring loaded spanner wrench which means it has a povit next to were the hook is to help keep a positive lock on what you are turning and keeps the knuckles safer.

Here's a picture of the one like mine this also lets you get into tighter places. Just a hint I have found and seen a lot of these at local fee markets and can be pick up for next to nothing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 259

OrangeBuggy

Thanks guy. I was wanting a spanner wrench so I could make adjustments as needed. Had no idea what size as the manual doesn't say. ( I probable over looked it a dozen times).
Harry

VA1100

Harry,
I bought one from McMaster Carr, there are probably cheaper places to get it , but I was placing an order with them anyway. The one I got was a 2" to 4-3/4", McMaster number 5471A13 and it cost $39.38. It seems to hold very well although you still need to jack the machine up to take some weight off the spring.
Pete

OrangeBuggy

Harry,
I bought one from McMaster Carr, there are probably cheaper places to get it , but I was placing an order with them anyway. The one I got was a 2" to 4-3/4", McMaster number 5471A13 and it cost $39.38. It seems to hold very well although you still need to jack the machine up to take some weight off the spring.
Pete

Thanks, well check them out.
Harry

Tom B

Va1100

The wrench in the picture is a 11/32 to 3 1/2 in which should work fine.

I have a smaller one that only goes to 2 1/2 inches and can be a knuckle buster which is what I used to adjust mine with. But I wear gloves when adjusting and had no problems.

I did jack the RTV up like the book says and adjusted one at a time it was still pretty tough with the smaller wrench and had to put my weight into it but I think the next size wrench I get it will be one or two sizes bigger 3 1/2 or up to 4 1/2.

Which is position 1 (stronger)? Stock setting is 3. To the left (shorter) or the right (longer).

Thanks

thunderdome

Gold Site Supporter
The shorter setting. The more the spring is compressed the stiffer the ride and higher the ride height.:wave:

travisd

I bought this spanner for use on my X900:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E6KTV6E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

It's probably too small, but got the job done well enough. I lifted the front of the RTV to take the weight off, and was able to move the adjusters in either direction without issue. I figure that for something that I might use twice a year, it'll do.