589 Tires

Ron

I have a set of 589 tires on my 1100 and find them not very good on the snow and ice, the lugs seem to stiff and not very good on the ice. Anyone that operates in the cold snowy conditions have any favorite tires they could recommend. The 589 tires are great in the mud but I find them not vey good on ice. Anyone looking for a set of 589's, we should talk. They are mounted on ITP alu. wheels. 26" Happy Holidays.........Ron</p>

Brian Bolger

Site Supporter
I had the standard RTV900 knobby tire, looks like a Quad MX ITP rear tire, on mine last year and plowed snow with no traction problems what so ever.</p>

Second choice would be the Tundra Cross or Terra Cross by ITP, which are radial tires. They are reported to be great on ice so should work well plowing.</p>

Third choice, would be the XTR Mud Lite Radial which should be great for all seasons.</p>

589's are just too hard a rubber for ice.</p>

I now have a RTV1100 with the standard ATV tire and will be getting it ready for plowing once I reinstall the plow kit from my 900 which I traded in. I'll let you know how they work, but it will not be ready for a couple of weeks.</p>

</p>

</p>

Peanut

SUPER Site Supporter
with the hard rubber on them 589's why not just screw some studs into the treads???</p>

[quote user="Brian Bolger"]had the standard RTV900 knobby tire, looks like a Quad MX ITP rear tire, on mine last year and plowed snow with no traction problems what so ever.[/quote]</p>

</p>

I have the same tires on my 900 (knobby) and I agree that they give me excellent traction on snow covered ice. Mud tires don't work well in icy conditions..in my opinion..</p>

I haven't had time to use the tires at all but i just got a set of ITP mudlite XTR radial tires and let me tell you when you just see the tread you will be in love</p>

randu2

I have the OEM worksite tires on my RTV 1100 and they have worked well for two seasons plowing my driveway. There is an incline coming up my driveway but have not had a problem with slipping.</p>

Randy</p>

Onfoot

I have the OEM worksite tires on my RTV900. They work reasonably well with my application--lots of work in the woods and then keeping my 2km+ driveway and variety of parking areas on the property. But this year I have put chains on all four wheels. And what a difference! Especially when there is any hard-packed snow and ice. I don't ever need to go fast, so poking along is fine.</p>

I would be interested in some knobbies (like the 589s) for summer use, however.</p>

I also have the worksite tires and had no problems last year except when the snow was really deep and soft. Made me think of getting some taller 589s. Now have second thoughts as conditions are often icy where I will be plowing.</p>

Onfoot

If icy or hard-packed snow, there are no tires that will outperform chains, including studded tires.</p>

Onfoot

Bought my chains from the local Arctic Cat dealer for a Prowler which I owned prior to my RTV900. Kept them when I sold the Prowler and was delighted to discover that they fit my RTV perfectly. But there are lots available online. E.g.: http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/atv-tire-chains.html</p>