2017 X900 Died, changed fuel filter, will start but not keep running.

TNTVslkyrie

I'm new to the forum. I have searched threads to find an answer and have one thing to try but thought I would ask for suggestions. My fuel filter was nasty and I know I should have changed it sooner, but I always use a funnel with a strainer so I didn't think it would be that dirty! I opened the bleeder screw and got the machine to start. It took a few seconds and it started running on all three cylinders smoothy. I started closing the bleeder and it started running rough and died. I opened it again, got it running, left it running with the bleeder open. It ran smooth for maybe 20 seconds and got rough again. I left the bleeder open and it got smooth again, but the cycle repeated. If at anytime it is running smooth and I close the bleeder it dies. I am assuming it's getting air from somewhere? I removed the filter cup again and the o ring looked fine, but I put another new one on it anyway. It didn't fix the problem. My diesel truck had a similar problem once and it was the fuel filter cap. I am wondering if the cap of the fuel filter on the RTV could be the problem here? I was also going to try to bleed the air on each cylinder at the pump but there is so little room between the nuts I guess I need special wrenches to work on them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry no suggestions so far.
Wondering if youve made any progress on this very curious issue?

TNTVslkyrie

I got a friend to help me bleed the air from each cylinder at the pump. That helped a lot, but I also had to add STA-BIL for diesels. Evidently a small amount of water got into the fuel system. The STA-BIL took care of it. Thanks for your replies!