2009 RTV 900 muffler

oliver1755

I have an RTV that just rolled 800 hours. After taking the muffler spark arrester out a couple years ago I have never been able to keep the bolts tight for the tailpipe. I have tried larger selftaping screws but they work out also. I was going to take muffler off and clean good and mig weld the tailpipe on. If I screw it up is there a place to get a muffler that would not be as expensive as kubota? Also do the muffler bolts come off of the exhaust manifold easy or will they break easy? Thanks.

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
I have an RTV that just rolled 800 hours. After taking the muffler spark arrester out a couple years ago I have never been able to keep the bolts tight for the tailpipe. I have tried larger selftaping screws but they work out also. I was going to take muffler off and clean good and mig weld the tailpipe on. If I screw it up is there a place to get a muffler that would not be as expensive as kubota? Also do the muffler bolts come off of the exhaust manifold easy or will they break easy? Thanks.

If I was to go that far up and remove muffler bolts, I would use a penatrating oil like liquid wrench or similar quality product to "pre-Lube"
nuts / bolts.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I had to replace the muffler on my 2011 RTV 900 when the tailpipe and part of the muffler's end came off. The bolts should be torqued on the muffler or the uneven pressure can crack the manifold . I have the specs some where . They might be in an old thread I posted about it. I will see if I can find it. bordercollie

edit: This post refers to the specs see post 17 : http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14460

pepr

SUPER Site Supporter
Bordercollie, it sure is nice to know that you're posting again on the forum. It seems aas though it's beeen a long time. Welcome back!

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Pepr. I am still not my old self but trying to get back as best I can. My Mama and I were very close.
This is a great forum and full of good folks. It's the BEST. bordercollie

oliver1755

Update: the bolts for muffler came right out. Bolts for the two shields came off too. There is a bolt under muffler to take out and it lifts right out. Tail pipe was hanging on by a thread. I took grinder with paint wheel om it and shined up around hole in muffler end the tailpipe flange. Just mig welded it on so it doesn't leak at all. It will get me by a little while longer but with 825 hours the muffler is really thin and about to be rusted out. There is no way to drain it out if it needs it. I should probably drill a little hole in bottom to let moisture out. But it is already 80% wore out. It is not beautiful but functional.

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
My '05 had a drain plug. I always got a lot of soot out of it when I checked it and cleaned it as stated in manual but never got any water out. It was just a nut welded over a hole on the bottom with a brass plug. When I sold the '05 with over 4000 hrs it was a still solid muffler. I don't like the new design near as well. bordercollie