Yellow roof lights for plowing?

ZMAN

I would like to upgrade the front work lights to LEDS on my X1100C. I haven't plowed with it at night yet, and I'm wondering about glare with those lights being mounted so high. I keep thinking how you have to dim the high beams on a car or truck in heavy snow conditions. Maybe the halogen lights are better being not so bright. Does anyone use yellow LED lights (fog) for plowing and if so what kind? I see lots of LEDS and lightbars on everyone's RTV's but haven't heard how they work when plowing. I don't want to buy something and then be sorry. I also don't want to mount lights on the brush guard/bumper.

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
Changing the color would be a nice experiment! I've not had a problem with reflection from the top of the cab lights. Being up that high makes the reflection angled down rather than right back at you. I plow on my own 1.5 miles of dirt road so I don't run into traffic except at the two points where our roads interest with the paved road. I use a yellow (magnetic based) led flashing light for when I am at the entrances off the highway. A solution might be purchasing the light package that goes on the plow. I know that Boss makes plow lights for my V-plow part # MSC12440. They don't list the price on their website, but I bet it is close to $400. From the picture it looks like they would be just below line of sight. I would think that having them much higher would be better.

Reactions: Doc

tfdr1

I haven't managed to buy my plow yet for my X1100 but on the X900 I had LEDs mounted high and didn't have a problem with glare. My plow was stainless so the headlights would kill me reflecting off the back of it when it was raised.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230111_180933_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230111_180933_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

BiffNH

SUPER Site Supporter
On my X900 I had my plow lights exactly where you have yours - up under the roof edge. I had a metal roof, but I had the lights hanging the same way. I had no problem - but then again I had a Boss plow so the reflection was not so bad, but the Boss plow can go up so high that it made it hard to see!! On the X1100C the lights are on top of the roof and the lighting of the road while plowing is even better.

ZMAN

Ok, thanks for your replies. I'll wait for snow. I think me buying this unit is keeping the snow away. 😆

avantiguy

Super Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
I haven't managed to buy my plow yet for my X1100 but on the X900 I had LEDs mounted high and didn't have a problem with glare. My plow was stainless so the headlights would kill me reflecting off the back of it when it was raised.
Paint the back of the blade Flat Black