winter

fordnut

Been checking this site for a couple years now.. My Kubota has a tough job to do up here in Gunnison Colorado. I live at 8400 ft, and have alot to plow here on my ranch. It could definatly use a turbo up here, but it gets the job done. Aways starts, and i cant plug it in due to being off-the-grid, and dont want to use my battery storage for it (from solar collection).

Just thought you Kubota RTV junkies would like the pic.

Jeff

Jeff:</P>

Welcome to the forum: Thanks for posting the photos. Glad the Kubota is doing the job for you at that altitude. Have you had it very long? </P>

Curious, what do you heat with since you are off grid? Also, how do you get your electricity to your batteries and what kind of batteries do you have? Sorry but this semi-country boy is full of questions.For a long time I have wanted to get something besides a generatorfor back-up electricity. </P>

Look forward to more posts fromyou. </P>

Nick</P>

fordnut

I only have 150 hrs on the 2 yr old machine. I just use it around here, plowing snow, hauling firewood up to the house that i cut up lower on the property. Machine needs more power up here at this elevation. I have slightly taller, more aggressive tires on it for the plowing duties.. Made a big difference. The Kubota dealer in Bayfield CO, about 5 hrs from me, insists "their" turbo will restore some of the power ive lost due to elevation. I really dont know how the machine does it lower elevations for power. Probably good i dont know! Ha.
I live in a regular house out here, and everything works the same as "on the grid" when the 16- twelve volt batteries are charged, and then the power goes threw an inverter, giving the house it's 110 power. I have 8 solar panels that charge the batteries when the sun is shining, (most days here in Colorado), and an 800 watt wind turbine mounted to capture the wind power as well. This charges the batteries as well with any wind above 4mph. The whole system works great, but you just have to be smart about it. Cant leave anything plugged in at night, or the batteries MAY get weakened to the point where they are needing a charge. IF this happens without the SUN, or WIND present, the 10k generator automaticly kicks on, and starts charging the batteries. Generator runs off propane tank, that i filled about 3 yrs ago. Still have 50% left in the tank. I heat with wood stove exclusivly. This house heats easy. I draw water from the DC pump, down 180 ft in the ground, which runs off the batteries. Fills the pressure tank like regular house, and give me pressured water for the house. Hot water is delivered via a hot water tank, propane fired from the same tank, but the water is pre-heated by the sun first in panels on the roof.,
I have no utility bills at all, just this damn satellite internet. Ha

Hope eveyone has Hppy Hollidays. Keep warm. 4 degrees was our HIGH today.

Jeff

Ron

Hey fordnut is that a Dodge I see in the back ground? Probably have that around to jump start your Ford !! Ron..............

Jeff</P>

Thanks for telling us how living off the grid is done. I find it very interesting. What kind of 12 volt batteries do you use? Most of us could cut our increasing electrical bills and have a back up during periods when our source is off. This is something I have been looking at a long time. </P>

Do you have the Dodge plugged in or does it have two batteries as does my Ford? The battery minder is a low use source to keep batteries charges that I use on one of my rides. </P>

Nick</P>

TWO GUNS

Site Supporter
Boy, did I just get educated .... Thanks for that post, no utility bills is a big plus !!!!

Thanks Jeff for allthe great information. We have a couple of people that lives off the grid. One friend uses a spring that flows all year to charge his batteries.</P>

My Dealer is working with a company that is making a supercharger for the 900 & 1100 and should be out in a couple of weeks. I will post any new information once I get it. The supercharger is a little cheaper than the turbo and should put out more hp.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>Steve
www.cookecitysinclair.com/rtv.htm</o:p></P>

</P>

fordnut

Ill be sure to keep my eyes open for a Supercharger, or any power adder in the future. The cold here is hard on equiptment for sure. I DO keep everything inside an insulated building at night, which doesnt get nearly as cold in there as outside. This AM, it was -22 here outside, but the thermometer inside that building said 30 deg. It has good south glass that heats up the concrete floor during the days... (Concrete radiates heat back into building at night). I use the glow plugs every time i start it for the first time of the day. Works better than my finiky Dodge Cummins does. The RTV Transmission needs a good 10 minutes of working it to flow good fluid. After that, it does ok. I LOVE the dumping bed for firewood. Doesnt even feel the load in the bed. All in all, a great machine. I prefer to plow with it over the Cat backhoe i also have out here. BUT, when the piles get to big, the backhoe makes short work in moving them.

Happy Hollidays to everyone. Jeff