What is best for clearing a side hill on a trail a bush hog on an excavator or on a skid steer?

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Primary target is a side hill about 6 ft tall. Steep so I cannot get at it with tractor and bush hog.
I reserved an excavator with a 42 inch cutter. But wondering if a skid steer with bush hog would be better for this task.

Here are pics of the trail. target is the one on the left. It has some 1" to 2" trees I'd like to cut with bush hog if possible.

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg

bordercollie

Gold Site Supporter
Gold Site Supporter
I don't know about that particular situation Doc... But, I've had to drive posts with the skid steer hydraulic post driver , on an incline , ( driver up in the air) and the diagonal rear end of the skid steer sat down . It was a definite creepy feeling. - As in" am I gonna keep going? " It might be different since the picture probably doesn't show the depth as good as it looks in person . I wish you the best and that is beautiful land by the way.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Admin
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I think the excavator will be the better fit for me. While at our grandson's baseball game I was talking to another guy about this. He thought a skid steer might be able to clear it faster. I've never run a skid steer nor have I seen the skid steer bush hog so I had to wonder if there might be something to his thoughts.
There is always more than one way to get any job done. I will go with what I have experience on, the excavator. It has a long reach so I can keep it on the trail and still clear the brush.
Renting it for a week in early July. Will post some before and after pics of this project.