Trail Mowers

vasellers

Anyone have any experience with the tow behind mowers like Swisher, DR, or any others? Do they work well or not worth the expense? Thanks in advance

ez chair

Zero turn mowers are the best, next tractor belly mount. 3pt I rank third, tow behind a distant 4th. They are light and bounce with speed and least manuverable of all. If you can't use the first three, they will with time and effort get the job done. Pulled one behind Polaris on horse trails. Use a zero turn now. Much faster and better cut.

vasellers

Mainly about 6 acres of flat pasture grass, some fence row mowing and small brush. Was hoping to tow behind my RTV 900 and not buy another piece of equipment (zero turn or tractor).

mmolnar

I have the same need. Our church will be buying an 1100 as soon as it comes in from the factory (supposed to be first week in Feb.). We are already mowing with a ZTM and a belly mount on a tractor, but we need another mower for a semi rough pasture area.

I was hoping the RTV with it's comfortable cab and a 60" pull behind would be a good solution for this.

Matt

rzoommer

Swisher makes a finish mower and a brush cutter --- I have a brush cutter that I pull with my 900 -- I cut my land around the house (5ac.) but us it more on my deer hunting land.</P>

on a scale of 1to 10 I would give it a 7 --- if you have rough land you will get some bounch --- it does much better in brush than thick grass --- but does work for me ---bdk</P>

mmolnar

What size cut and motor do you have?

Our cutting would start out as a hay field. As we cut it down it would become more of a lawn. It's not really rough, as in holes and ravines. It was used for hay and corn before we acquired it.

Matt

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For those of you starting with a field, do you know of someone in the paving industry? A paving roller going through the field when it's "somewhat" wet will do wonders for bumps.
I have a lawn roller but get/use a small paving roller instead. Can't speak for fields but for a lawn, it's best to run an aerator over it a few times afterwards. I just tow one behind the ZTR for the next few mowings after rolled.

If no paving roller, a cultipacker works well.

mmolnar

Thanks for the tip! The fields we've mowed have become "decent" lawns, but they are a bit bumpy on the ZTM.

Do they compact better because of the water in the soil after a rain?

Matt

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
[quote user="mmolnar"]Do they compact better because of the water in the soil after a rain?

Matt
[/quote]
Yes. Rolling is best done when the ground is soft. Basically, the softer the better so long as the rolling equipment doesn't get stuck or dig in and do damage. If the ground is too hard, the roller just bounces over it and does nothing.
When I do it, it looks like I'm running a squeegy over it. There's a big puddle being squeezed out and runs in front of the roller.
The other thing when rolling is to go slow. The objective is to knock the high spots down. If you go over it too fast, it doesn't have time to fully flatten the bump. Think of a cooking roller going over some dough. If you only get one pass over it, if you did it real slow, it'll flatten it a lot more than going fast.

mmolnar

Excellent advice! Thanks. This is something we WILL DO this year. I've been thinking about it for a while now. Just have to find a roller now.

bczoom

Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Many box stores and most tractor stores that sell implements have them. A tow-behind unit that an ATV or RTV would tow runs around $200. These are 24-30" diameter and 36-48" wide. They do a decent job on a lawn but not sure how well they would do on a field. It may take a few years of rolling the field before the bumps really settle down.
On a lawn, it gets rid of the bumps every year.